Knee Replacement Recovery

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Everyone!! Just had a question for anyone that has had knee replacment. My mother had it done 11 days ago and is doing ok. The first week she did amazing and was walking and doing the exercises like she was a rockstar. The past weekend it was like she went backwards a little. The pain was horrible and almost unbearable. The pain meds usually kicks in 15 min after taking and this weekend it was over an hr before she felt better. Has anyone experienced that? Also, the pain shes having is BEHIND her knee and not the actually knee itself. I know everyone heals differently but how long has anyone here thats had it done until they found some relief? Any info will be helpful. Thank You all smile

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hadn't seen your comment re the blood glucose levels. That is pretty high, and if the fasting levels are also high then perhaps an endocrinologist could suggest a different treatment plan while she is on this medication. Not knowing if she is insulin dependent, type two diabetes?  My husband is insulin dependent and when he was on certain medications for cancer, his levels went through the roof.  While "highs" are ot as bad a "lows" it still needs to be watched carefully . . . 

• Posted

Its been high a few times. The PT seems to think it could be from the medicine and I checked it around the time she had a lot of pain so that couldve have contributed to the increase in sugar level. She told us to speak to the surgeon tomorrow when she goes for her follow-up apointment. She is not on insulin, she just takes a pill daily.
  • Posted

I am on my 5th week post op. The pain is starting to decrease but I'm still taking Advil as needed and Advil pm to sleep during the night. I also take Celebrex in am and pm. I worked hard in pt, have reached 117 degree knee bend but the pain and swelling continues. Some days are better than others. Most people I know who have had a tkr say the knee will feel better at 10 weeks.....

• Posted

Yup...you start feeling a lot better once you get your ROM back from the PT work.  Most people look back and see a major change at 3 months and then again at six.  I'm 15 months and don't even think about it anymore.

• Posted

Thats great news for you! 117 is awesome!

My mom started at 85 then 90 and back to 85 from the rough weekend she had but her PT said that was completely normal and she was happy with where she is in progress. My mother is the type that wants to see results fast, shes Portuguese and thats just how they are, lol

• Posted

6wks seem about average. Remember, more you do, more swelling can happen, more pain can follow but ...after your exercises dont ice for hours,ice 15-20min. Constriction of blood vessels keeps swelling happening. Elevation right after always! Break up day. Walk rest,exercise in small amounts-it will feel like your doing it all day long but this stops overdoing at one time where you feel like POOH the next day-rest again. Im 7months out bilateral pkr. Right knee is awesome w only small amount of swelling after being on feet all day (work). Left knee had arthroscopy for a bone spur that grew after surgery almost 6wks ago. Fighting some scar tissue and intermittent pain around/under knee cap. I Dont medicate just stretch. It swells a lot after on my feet all day.

Chico is right. No matter what hits you, i call knee surgery a roller coaster as u have highs n lows and they keep coming when you dont expect them, plow thru.

My faith gets me thru. I take a deep breath and keep moving, or resting. I just worked 13hrs a day for 2 days and only got 30min to put my feet up. Im tired, i wear my hose to help reduce swelling, but i focus on the positive. I AM not in pain with my hips,calf,Achilles tendon on left, They were very tight from me guarding my walking at work. I stretch, i preach stretching, because it has helped me more than any meds! Plus no side effects!

I wish the left would catch up to the right. Everyone waiting for their other knee faces this.

I take 400mg ibuprofen once in am once at night on work days, and only at night non work days.

Its great ur there for ur mom and researching what helps!

Best wishes smile

• Posted

Thanks for all the info and encouragment. When shes just sitting on the couch she moves her leg around and keeps it active so it doens't get stiff. She notices a difference when she doens't move for a while, it takes a little to get moving again so she tries to keep moving as much as she can without over doing it, lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.