Knee replacement setback

Posted , 13 users are following.

I had TKR on 12/18/17. While very challenging at first, I recovered very well (so they tell me) and returned to work at 6 weeks out. I gradually stopped pain meds and only used Tylenol except for the occasional norco here and there. THEN...I had a conference that I attended last week. There was a lot of walking and a few flights of stairs here and there. I didn’t feel like it was terribly bad at the time, but by day 4 the pain increased quickly and with vengeance. I went to my Dr when I returned and he drained 60 cc of fluid and gave a shot of lidocaine. That helped that day but back bad as ever now. I’m a 58 year old female. Has anyone experienced a setback such as this?  I am in so much pain and now emotionally spent as well. I could just curl up and cry and would if it may help!  Any suggestions?  I continue with ice and rest but no luck. 

1 like, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

like you I had my total knee replacement in January of this year and was doing pretty good or so they tell me and last Monday I was in the car and as I got in and then was getting back out I twisted the leg with the artificial knee and it's been swollen and sore ever since I do have a doctor's appointment this coming Tuesday but it does feel like I have had a setback I keep icing I'm not sure whether do my exercises but I have been doing some so that it doesn't get stiff hang in there hopefully will get better

• Posted

So I see you can relate!  My Dr did say to keep doing exercises but that is very hard right now.  I’m trying to stay positive but it’s really hard. Can’t seem to catch a break. I’ll keep moving forward tho...no choice. Hope you feel better too!
  • Posted

Two knee replacement ops. The first one two years ago was totally without problems. Surgeon and self happy with progress at 8 week this time: physiotherapist of the opinion I had the bend found at 12 months and straightening needed very little extra work. Now finding I increasingly have the pain I would associate with swollen knees but no swelling. Cartilage feels har in the area of the scar. Sitting for any time causes stiffness and pain. Don’t see my surgeon for 12 weeks. Anyone had this problem?
    • Posted

Sounds totally normal for two reasons:

1. That stiffness and pain at 8 weeks is totally expected.

2. After reading over 4,000 posts on here, you actually fall within the BIG group of people who have had both knees done and report different experiences with each knee!  Yup...normal.

Heard the same story from bi-laterals done months apart...the vast majority have had very different recoveries for each knee.  

• Posted

Hi Chico I had a TKR back in February and I had a manipulation three weeks later knee still feels stiff and swollen but I am doing therapy and my exercises at home is pain in my ankle normal
    • Posted

I have come to the realization that this will be a lifelong recovery.  Some people on the Forum who have had TKRs 3-5 years ago report stiffness and loss of ROM.  Not scientifically conclusive but...

All say that they stopped exercising.  Coincidence?  Personally, I don't think so.  I believe that we must stay active to avoid the consequences of not keeping the knee in top shape.  Just sayin'...

• Posted

Not convinced the stiffness is permanent. Not giving up. Suggest no one does.
    • Posted

I don't think it is if you stay active.  Just reporting what the veterans say...

• Posted

It's coming up to 20 years for my left and 18½ years for my right. I have no stiffness or loss of ROM, in fact I have had no problems. Recovery was not easy or pain free but was not unbearable, and well worth the effort of the physio and exercises.  I returned to work after 6 months each time. I am 76½ and try to keep active, joined gym and try to go 3 or 4 times a week. I think it is important to try and keep active, I also have COPD and the exercise also helps with that. everyone recovers differently, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My surgeon told me after my first op that he had done his job and it was now up to me to do the work to recover. 

• Posted

This  is the comment I like to see. Getting plenty of excercise and the attitude that it WILL get better is what it’s all about. I attend a balance/Physio class every week. This followed on from an age UK funded 18 week schedule. I would recommend it. I’m 80 going on 40 I like to think.".....

good on yer Nate.

• Posted

Agree with the surgeons attitude: you have to do the rest.
    • Posted

I was a bit reluctant to comment on this, last time I made a positive comment I was accused of gloating. Just because I didn't complain about all the pain etc. I don't think anyone has an easy time, but not everyone has a really bad time. 

• Posted

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. I too did very well in comparison to others I know in similar situations. What I wasn’t expecting was this sudden setback and was hoping for reassurance that “this too shall pass”. After three days of rest and ice I haven’t seen much change....unfortunately. Don’t know what’s in store next....but to carry on

• Posted

I had my TKR 6 weeks ago and I don’t feel no where near ready to return to work and may well be another 5-6 weeks . I have a very busy manual job in and out of machines, up and down stairs a lot of walking and lifting of parts so I do need to get the timing right.  Sorry to hear the pain you are in and in hindsight you may have gone back early but as you felt fine in yourself that was the right thing to do .My main problem I have is extreme stiffness in knee. Do take care ...
    • Posted

You will return to work when the knee is ready to return to work and not a minute before.  Get all the timeframes out of your head...screws with your mind.  After reading over 4,000 posts I can tell you that people usually return to work without any huge problem in the 4-6 month range.  People who try it at three (12 weeks) virtually always report pain, swelling, etc.  They go home, ice, elevate, have trouble sleeping and then have to wake up and do it all again the next day.  Not a good idea.

Yes, there are the very few who get away with it.  So many factors: state of healing in the knee, age, ROM achievement, level of strength rebuilt in your quads, glutes and core, occupation, duration on your feet at work, requirements of the knee and quad for lifting, and more.  The knee must be considerably healed and you must have done the exercises to rebuild all those atrophied muscles.  Else, all the pressure gets put on the joint itself and..........you pay the price.

Stiffness is to be expected...can even last a bit 12-18 months post-op.  I'm 2 years out and I still feel a twinge or two when I'm not active enough.  Your knee will control everything for your first year post-op...everything.  Get used to it...accept it...own it.  Going back to work too soon is, most of the time, a very painful proposition.  Listen to your knee, not your head.  Make good choices...

• Posted

Unfortunately....there are many of us that have to return to work probably sooner than we should.  If only the choice was truly ours it would make recovery so much easier
    • Posted

I 100% agree Vickie, I had to go back at 4 weeks or half pay; couldn’t survive on that. Was doing well and then BOOM swelling; pain; exhaustion; felt a bit better, due to staffing shortages ended up working nearly 40 hrs in 4 days (seated) but not moving. My body decided enough is enough and I became so ill with lung and kidney infection I have been in bed for a week; hardly any exercises and set back about 3 weeks. I couldn’t wAit for the op and had an Osteotomy and TKR in January. I’m now booking a couple of days Annual Leave each month until the end of June when I am taking 18 days leave to give myself a break. I think the biggest message on here is to be kind to yourself; go at your own pace; keep moving as much as possible and make the best of your circumstances. Good luck
    • Posted

Sleeping: finding that I’m uncomfortable lying on by right side with my (operated) leg resting on my right. Always end up turning back on my left and letting both legs lay independently. This is after 16+- weeks.
    • Posted

Important point:listen to your knee and nothing else. I have found myself to be a very impatient patient. ...sure I’m not alone.
    • Posted

Mmmmm 40 hours working seated must be a killer for anyone whose had the op. My worst position is seated. 15 minutes at the dining table is way too much. Must get up and stretch.
    • Posted

It's a very tough decision and some people have no choice.  Feel bad for them because the healing has not happened and the decision is out of their hands.  Jobs in construction, delivery person, etc. are probably impossible...as well as nursing and other professions that require 10,000+ steps a day.  Pain, swelling, exhaustion are the inevitable result.  Unfortunate reality of a TKR.  We are never informed beforehand that the recovery would be long and hard.

We have more people coming to the Forum now PRE-OP seeking information.  It's better to know the reality up front and plan for it than get hit in the face with it like most of us did.  I know that I was absolutely not prepared, especially because I have always bounced back from ops in a heartbeat.  Hip replacement, two shoulder impingements, spinal fusion...never an issue...always killed it in rehab.

The TKR was a completely different animal.  When you're still drooling on your pajamas 30-days post-op, you know you're in deep doodoo...  For me, I was doing 11,000+ steps at 8 months and then got spinal stenosis requiring another fusion, followed by wrist surgery, followed by a spinal laminectomy a few months ago.  Starting with the TKR, that was FOUR surgeries in 22 months.  I gave up taking any of it seriously.  Be more Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."

• Posted

Fortunately don’t work anymore as I’m in my 8......! And happy
    • Posted

It was over 4 days lol and I did get up to see children and to use the bathroom; but yes it was too much. I paid the price. Lost out on three Physio therapy sessions and ended up very ill. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.