Knee replacement ups & downs

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just over 3 weeks ago I had a L total knee replacement. Making good, steady progress....good reports from home health care team and starting out patient therapy next week. I live alone and spent the first 11 days in rehab. I’ve been home for about 10 days and mostly ok but for sleeping, the recliner helps. Last night was the worst night since I’ve been home....knee much more stiff and more pain. Are these ups and downs normal. I’ve been assured that it’s “only been about 3 weeks” and that my “I’m over it it’s already been 3 weeks” is not necessarily right. I cried myself to sleep in pain and frustration. Am I crazy or does this happen to other people?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I feel your pain. I cried everyday for the first month. Its been 10 weeks for me. I can sleep good but only on my back. My knee is stiff and pain full every morning, I have to get it moving. Im very sick of it too but everyone tells me it gets better. Wish I had good news for you but know you are not alone.
  • Posted

We are all with you.

The first 6 weeks for me was hell on earth, and you don't have to suffer the pain, I called my Dr and was given morphine for the pain, brilliant it was and got me through the worst time.

I also found that taking my Cryo cuff Ice cooler to bed helped. Do you have one? 

Now just on Nurofen plus.

Best wishes,

Sue

• Posted

Its one thing to offer advice based on memory now that reality has set in this pain is absolutely no fun. I fully understand what everyone is going thru let's see swelling, lots of pain as in too much!!, sleepless nights, feeling miserable 24/7. THis may seem odd but once you and I and others get thru the 1st 3 months of hell the body has the ability to let you forget how bad the pain really was when you went thru it. I knew it was going to hurt no doubt but I did forget how bad it was until I am going thru it again. What works for me ice and elevate repeat ice and elevate. I was told this in the hospital and it does help instead of just wrapping the top and sides with an ice wrap put ( in my case I have several reusable gel packs ) put one directly under the knee it really helps!! Take pains on schedule you need to stay on top of the pain you need to be in control not the pain. Trust me I get how this hurts I am just 1 week out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.