Knee replacement ups & downs

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just over 3 weeks ago I had a L total knee replacement. Making good, steady progress....good reports from home health care team and starting out patient therapy next week. I live alone and spent the first 11 days in rehab. I’ve been home for about 10 days and mostly ok but for sleeping, the recliner helps. Last night was the worst night since I’ve been home....knee much more stiff and more pain. Are these ups and downs normal. I’ve been assured that it’s “only been about 3 weeks” and that my “I’m over it it’s already been 3 weeks” is not necessarily right. I cried myself to sleep in pain and frustration. Am I crazy or does this happen to other people?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Read around the forum, for knowing you are not alone may offer some encouragement.

There are plenty of people who are no doubt going to relate to your experience!

You can choose older posts by picking through the page numbers shown on the KNEE PROBLEMS main page. Look to the right of the page subtitle "All discussions in this group" and you will see page 1 but flick on the arrow to see other previous pages also.

As well as the direct answers to your post, there is plenty of experience here. Remember this is all very personal, and people's experience varies a lot, so make sure you discuss concerns with the professionals involved in your care...though it sounds like you are doing that!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. It's got a lot of general information in it, and gives you one person's experience right from hospital to the 12 month mark! Direct links are not allowed, so you will need to copy and paste my blog page in your browser. It's a long long read...writing it kept me focused in a positive way during my own TKR recovery!

Are you icing and elevating your knee several times a day?

• Posted

Also, maybe you need more pain medication? Can your GP give you more? Are you in the UK?
  • Posted

Pam,

YES, the ups and downs are normal.  I remember crying myself to sleep, feeling sorry for my self and wondering....Why did I have this done.  

I learned, as I felt better, I did more...so more swelling and pain.  Very normal.  I learned to fall asleep with ice on my knee.  It was very helpful for me to elevate and ice just before bed too....sometime I rested my legs against the wall.

There will be many ups and downs throughout the recovery journey.  Stay in touch on this site......many of us have had same feelings and experiences.

prayers for a restful night for you!

Pam.  2year TKR 

• Posted

You're in very early days. Don't expect a miracle pain free yet. I'm 12 weeks post op tkr and am just starting to feel normal. You'll have good days but I had more bad days at this stage. Wasn't depressed as frustrated needed a night's sleep but didn't happen until about the 10th now no bother. Finished my PT till 27th July then I go for 1 to 1.keep up the exercises daily and rest, ice and elevate. Good luck

• Posted

Pam no you’re not crazy. I went through the same thing. The tightness and pain wears on you. I cried a lot but this site has really helped me. It’s now been 6 weeks and its still tight and sometimes painful, but much better than before. I walk with a cane and without one around the house. Just keep doing the best you can each day. Rest when you need to. Ice as much as you need. It does get better 
  • Posted

You are not crazy.  I have been there, done that, and got the tshirt.  I'm 5 mths post op and still having problems.  Hope you improve soon !!!

• Posted

Hi. Pam

This knee replacement thing is going to play with your head...your going to feel so discouraged etc. ..I lost my mind over it. I never got past a 75 degree bend so yesterday had a manipulation and today at 120.....what a difference a bend makes. Yes it is sore but manageable. STAY STRONG ..it will come don't over think it ..I did and I really needed to slap myself to stay on track. Keep going your found great...oh I use ice and heat...sleeping will be disrupted but you will have better nights soon. Rest when you can

• Posted

I seem to have a bad habit with TKR's just had my 6th one on Monday. I am well aware of what to expect. The first 3 months are rough yes it will get better but I can assure you there will be times it hurts so bad it will drive you nuts. If you over do it with exercising it can also cause this and then for no reason at all. Think of this as a wild roller coaster ride lots of ups and downs it will get better but be patient when the pain is driving you nuts ice and elevate. Today is Saturday how do you think i feel my knee is just screaming at me. If when you lay down in bed you cannot get comfortable put a pillow between your knees it will help. Like I said this is #6 for me each time I go thru this the pain is just a little more intense and recovery is longer.

• Posted

Three weeks and you're over it?  Seriously?  A full recovery takes a year...accept it...own it...

Ups and downs?  Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

I guess over it was the wrong thing to say. I was hurting and frustrated after so many good days. Thankfully most of those who responded understood and were encouraging.
    • Posted

I've had a hip replaced, four knee scopes, four kidney stones and four spine ops (two fusions).  The knee was THE WORST recovery of all.  Not expecting that much pain for so long a time, the roller coaster of good/bad days and more.  The picture reflects the reality of it all. 

A successful recovery require...REQUIRES...time, work and patience.  The knee needs time to heal...can't speed that up.  You have to do the ROM work first and then the exercise program to rebuild all your leg strength.  Finally, you cannot get down on yourself...learn to have patience with this.  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus...all part of the normal recovery process.

Click on my name and then "See All Discussions"...I have over 30 out there on all sorts of topics.  Hope they help...

• Posted

Pam,

anything you say is OK.  “Over it},is just how you feel, and it’s OK.  Been there, and I understand.

i will not say it’s early in recovery.....hearing that when I had the same feeling you are going thru made me upset.

Just be sure to listen to your body....VERY important.....

Be sure to do exercises every day...that became my job.....then rest, Ice and elevate.  I also iced and elevated 2 x every day other than after exercises, Verky important...I did this in bed...and rested.  Your body has been thru a lot and rest is as important as exercises.

good luck,

😍 Pam

• Posted

9 mos later, my knee still stiffen up. Was told always would. Something they neglect to tell you before surgery

Pain gets severe and lightens up a little. Weather still has a say in it...

I have no patience for long rehab. Doesn't sound like you do either, but just taking it a day at a time - or hour at a time, seems to help. They say it gets easier and better. Good luck!

• Posted

Time, work and patience...need all three.  The stiffness eases up imperceptibly over time.  Docs say it could last 18 months.  Actually, it depends a lot on how active you are with the knee.  If you've done the muscle rebuild to take the pressure off the knee and put it back on the supporting musculature where it belongs, that activity helps with the stiffness.  It also helps you to walk correctly again, regain your balance and be able to do stairs like a normal person.  TKR veterans of many years only seem to report stiffness when they sit for very long periods of time or neglect to exercise the knee properly.  A lot of this is under your control...plus the time factor.  It just happens very gradually but requires some work on your part.

Around 9 months is when many people report "feeling more like my old self"...so you are on the cusp of that.  A year post-op really makes a difference and, if you do the exercise program, you will feel pretty good.  All your original pain will be gone and the remaining annoyances are pretty much irrelevant.  Yes, there are those who have a lot of continuing problems but they seem to be only a handful of patients.  This is a remarkably difficult but eventually successful operation.  Six months from now, you will hopefully feel waaaaay much better.  Just remember the exercise program...

• Posted

My guess I would be one of the handful of patients that have continuing problems?? I must be extremely luck to have that recognition!!! Of course you must realize I am only joking and no one wants to go thru what I have been thru
    • Posted

Thanks! No one told me how hard it would be, even friends who had gone through it. I now realize I’m where I should be and as planned am continuing my therapy and letting it be what it is! 
    • Posted

"Never give up!  Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Thats what I said too. I was told it was an achy feeling not really painful. Lyers! Ha! Just keep doing the exercises when you can. Ice a lot and take the meds. I’m 6 weeks and doing much better than I was 3 weeks ago. Hang in there!
    • Posted

Thanks...feels good to know I’m not alone! Are you still taking pain meds at 6 weeks? I don’t want to take them for too long but i honestly still need them. I’m doing the exercises at home and starting outpatient therapy this week, I’m both looking forward to it and terrified! It’s going to be worth it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.