Knee replacements going wrong ??

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I was just wondering when other people were going for TKR surgery were they told by the surgeon the failure statistics or risks involved ?

Replies appreciate

Rose

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

had my first tkr in june last yr was not told of anyunsuccessful Replacement but should’ve known better because mine has been a nightmare still having problems due to have left one done s replacement but should’ve known better because mine has been a nightmare still having problems due to have left one done new surgeon will look at right one while im under The anaesthetic just want to be able to walk without pain sit without pain sleep without pain

• Posted

Hi Kathleen , it's Rose here , we're still in terrible pain...it's awful to leave us like this...I'm so angry...my life cut short due to that operation😡

• Posted

Hi Rosemary, I've had two TKRs and both times I was given the talk, basically, infection, failure rates etc. I think that's pretty much standard procedure, or rather, should be. Have you gone yet for the TKR?

Doria

• Posted

Hi Doria, yes I had my TKR in June 2018 I wasn't told anything about what could go wrong, in fact he made it sound easy and nothing to worry about...I'm in worse pain now...I wish I never got it done.

• Posted

I have had 2TKRs. The first one eleven years ago and the 2nd 13 weeks ago. My first TKR was done at an orthapedic hospital and I received a binder and a DVD with a cartoon surgery plus my surgeon went over the risks. I also did lots if research on the internet and watched an actual operation and I knew all tge risks The first was very easy compared to the 2nd one. Prior to the surgery i had MRI's, xrays and several consults as i put off the surgery for several years but saw the surgeon annually till i was ready. I also knew at that time that both knees were bone on bone.

By the time i had the second one the knee was giving me a lot of pain and i had decided it was time for a TKR

I took a DVD of my knee. The surgeon took one look at the DVD and showed me the implant and glanced at the knee. His secretary in a room full of patients in between answering the phone and sending patients in to see the doctor quickly read through and had me sign the paper work. i had chosen this surgeon based on a friends recommendation and had read on line reviews that for the most part were positive. When i was talking to the surgeon i said i know it takes about 3 months to feel normal and he corrected me and said ...a year. I again did research on my own and knew the risks associated with the surgery. My complaint with him was that i did not receive enough pain meds. My prescription was for 50 pills that were gone within 10 days. It was hard to do physio and exercises on extra strength tylenol. My current progress is slower than anticipated but I have come to accept it. I am still exercising and working to get the knee to feel normal.

I have had quite a few surgeries and always prior to these do as much research as possible.

• Posted

Hi Jean, I don't like looking at operations on telly or DVD...I trusted the hospital and surgeon to look after me...did you wait 11 years to have second knee done, that must have been very painful for you...

I don't understand What you mean about having DVD on your knee....do you mean you had your operation filmed during the procedure

Rose

• Posted

Hi Rosemary,

I dont mean a DVD. It was a disc with the xray of my knee. Yes i waited 11 years for the 2nd one. Even though it was bone on bone it rarely hurt. It was only 6 months before the surgery that it started to bother me at night. I went to France and Italy and found walking painful. I had to take tylenol 3 to cope. i only had the occasional flare up prior to the last 6 months. I waited 3 years for my first one. i saw the surgeon annually but most of the time the knee was fine. i turned down 3 operation dates. Even with bone on bone most times except for flare ups it was fine.

I always do lots of research and watching an actual operation to me was interesting. During my 2nd surgery i could hear the drill and other noises happening. it didnt bother me.

• Posted

Oh I understand now Jean about the x-ray on disc....i heard the sawing and the drilling too,at the time it didn't bother me as I wasn't expecting it and i was sedated but this time I know what to expect and the thought of my sore knee getting sawed and drilled and battered and bruised again terrifies me.

Rose

• Posted

HI Rosemary....i have an allergic reaction to anaesthetic ...itching...so they gave me less but warned me that i would be able to hear parts of the surgery. I didnt want to hear the surgery but while happening didnt bother me.

• Posted

Did you get an epidural? Thsts what I had, I had ear phones on listening to music but still heard the sawing and drilling.😯

• Posted

I have been to Ireland...stayed in a lovely place called Malahide....lovely place on the coast. We stayed for several days before going to England. i was born in England but emigrated to Canada as a child.

• Posted

Malahide is so beautiful, we went there a lot when my kids were young...

• Posted

I would suggest anyone that is having any kind of surgery to do your own research yes the doctor is going to tell you some things but not everything when I had my TKR in 2017 I did my own research I want to know everything surgery, exercise , pt, what to expect after surgery and I joined this site to hear what other people was going through

• Posted

Hi Michele, I didn't want to look up TKR on google as you always hear people say, the worst thing to do is look up Doctor Google....that's why we trust our Doctors and surgeon to do the right thing, not anymore, I only joined this site 10 weeks after operation in desperation to get some advice...I never heard of this forum until then.

Rose

• Posted

with you on that Rosemary we are all different all heal different some quick some not ive been a nurse and never dreamed that i would struggle lime i have with this hated new knee we trust our surgeons to do the best for each and everyone of this I did research my surgery he came from Canada originally fantastic write-up but what an ignorant arrogant man he was did not like being questioned at all thank God I’m now under another surgeon who is highly recommended in his field in England a very nice man indeed due to retire but he’s going to try and get my knees right before he does retire

• Posted

Wishing you the very best Kathleen with your progress...thank you for agreeing with me about us trusting the surgeon, I did read up on him after the operation and sure he sounds like a God 🙄🙄🙄 it's a terrible shame he didnt study " common decency and good manners too"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.