Knee revision questions

Posted , 11 users are following.

Just saw my surgeon for my one year review. I still have a great deal of pain. Just weaned myself off Tramadol but still on gabapentin. Dr. Suggested a knee revision. Would love to hear from others who have had it done. Think I might wait 6 months to see how it improves and then would use another surgeon 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had a revision and it's not nearly as good as the first oneone. I think waiting and then having a second or even third opinion is a good idea.

• Posted

hi suzy   i have had a revision august 2014 ,like you i was in a great deal of pain  after my bi lateral , one of my knees was very good but the other one was another matter i had a break in it during the op ,and it was misalighned , i did have to change surgeons  i could not go with the one who messed up the first op ,it was difficult to get another surgeon willing to try to put it right ,i did find a good surgeon willing to do the op . .im 14mths post revision ,im not totaly pain free which i wish i was ,but it did improve my bend  before the revision i had 70 deg now ve got 95 deg  its way off perfect i think i have to accept it this way ,as well as having a different type of knee put in he also put rods in top and bottom of the knee so alot more metal ,i can walk properly down stairs ,can sit without having to  put my foot out to enable to sit and can stand up without hauling myself out of the chair,  the one thing that the surgeon said to me was this is the end of the line for you when you have this op which was very scary . you say that you have a great deal of pain !! is that the only reason dr suggest a revision??? or is it the pain and something else
  • Posted

You have given me lots to think about. I live in the U.S. The reason I was even was considering a revision is I am only 51 and am not able to stand for more than a few minutes or walk more than a slow mile. I really hate to think what I will be like at 60 if this keeps up. I had extra hardware put in during my TKR. A rod in the femur and the longer stemmed knee parts. Had major surgury when I was 16 which complicated my original TKR. I just would love to be able to go on a hike or walk around Disneyland without being in so much pain. I am not overweight and do daily strengthening exercises and ride a stationary bike. I do work, but 9 months of the year it is a desk job. Only during tax time am I on my feet for long hours.
    • Posted

I hope you get a successful revision. at 51 you should be enjoying life and able to move around . . life is so unfair sometimes!  are you still getting a lot of nerve pain?  I'm now on lyrica . . gabaentin didn't work for me, and made me rather strange (even more strange than I usually am!) but Lyrica seems fairly OK. sleep better than I have since I was a teenager, and although balance is worse, and mild headache, no other disastrous side effects.  Not sure it's doing much for the nerve problems though!!!
    • Posted

oh suzy i know well how it is not being able to walk very much i was like that before my revision ,i now can stay on my legs alot longer and walk much quicker  my surgeon said the same no reason given for the pain i think they believe we are making it up !! i did all the tests mri,bone density,long xray,blood tests & intensive physio ,nothing came back as reason .i pushed for a revision changed surgeon and got it done ,only then did the reason show on the table so dont give up go and make sure someone listens to you ,im proof it can change im not perfect but better than i was and ive got a life now before i didnt xx
  • Posted

I have no idea where the pain is coming from. My doctor does not seem to be interested in finding an answer either. The scar formed a keloid also which he does not seem to want to deal with. Seeing my primary doctor in a few weeks.
    • Posted

Gabapentin would probably be prescribed for nerve pain . . I still get a lot of strange sensations from nerves, but thank heavens the pain of the first few weeks has gone it was truly incredible. . like nothing I have ever experienced, or would like to experience again!  Not sure what a keloid is but sounds as if it's something you don't want to have!
    • Posted

The pain is coming from your nerve endings, might take a while to settle.  Lots and lots of massaging and specific meds will help.  You can buy cream that aids scars, the massaging will help to desensitize your skin.  Remember you have a scar under the skin, so keep bending your knee, otherwise it will tighten and create more issues. The guys who did the operation will now have lost interest.  If your x-rays are good; that is it you are on your own. Do you have after-care or a pain management team (spk with your doctor).  If after you recover and the keloids are still there, you can always have them seen to. But lots of massaging will help keep them at bay (unless you have a tendency for them)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.