Knee sensitive to touch

Posted , 11 users are following.

Good morning forum! I'm 10 weeks post op and I was wondering if anyone else have experienced sensitivity with their TKR? My knee is so sensitive it almost feels like I have no skin protecting it. I normally use my compression knee highs to help. It is quite painful especially when the covers rub against it. Other than the compression stocking, is there anything else I can do to relieve the discomforting feeling?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Phillip

This happens to me i bought a couple of those compression knee bandages they work for me i know where your coming from its hard enough to sleep try and use cotton if you can it doesn't irritate it good luck.

• Posted

Hi when you say compression knee highs you may need to check with your doc about wearing these things overnight after six weeks not a good idea used one myself and had a blood clot doc said wearing it overnight if it was over the knee not a good idea maybe worth checking ps the sensertive period will pass
    • Posted

Hi Alan

its the support ones i mean not the stockings that you get from hospital there much to tight they just slip over the foot then up to the knee i got the extra large ones it stopped the irritation but not to tight.

• Posted

I was issued them by my doc to prevent blood clots. If there are alternative things to do, I would like to hear about it.
    • Posted

Hi perhaps you didnt read the post properly below knee fine covering knee not good
  • Posted

Hi Phillip

I used a non adherent dressing (with micro pore tape to attach it) which helped enormously as the scar rubbed against the bed sheets and trousers when worn and was very sore. Mine took at least four months to feel easier. 

Hope that helps x

• Posted

Its my entire lower leg below my knee that's sensitive. I wonder if i use an ace bandage wrap would help. Thanks for your response.

• Posted

I had a nerve problem after my TKR.  My leg was hypersensitive. I used gabapentin for over four months to help.  The feeling has just about gone away. See if your surgeon thinks it might help.
    • Posted

My wife was taking that for sensitivity issues with MS. I will ask my doctor tomorrow. Thanks
  • Posted

Gm. Im also 10 weeks in and i experience the same thing also. Pain is still vividly present to the po in nt where i almost drove myself to hospital at 3am. Did you have a manipulation done? I did and really can't tell if its helping. Sometimes i use long pjs and put and ace bandage not tight, so its not rubbing. Good luck. We both need some

• Posted

I had the manipulation done as well and I can't tell if it helped. I have a cpm at home and it works better than therapy, and everything else that I have tried. I'm having a difficult time keeping my range of motion due to stiffness. My compression isn't too tight either I was just looking for other things to try.

• Posted

Nerves are beginning to heal and refire. Nerve damage is the last to become normal and it can last for months. If you can't control it with ice, ask your primary care Dr about starting you on either gabepentin or lyrica. They can be very helpful controlling nerve pain.

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I will see if l can get it under control with ice.
  • Posted

Hi Phillip!

I'm over a year post-op with my first TKR and nearly a year post-op with my second TKR. It was just THIS MONTH that it got a bit chilly so I tried wearing my jeans instead of my VERY SOFT yoga pants and Capri pants AND was FINALLY able to wear my jeans without feeling terrible sensitivity at my incision sites! I tried months ago but had to take them off and put my comfy soft Yoga pants back on instead.

Less sensitivity will come for you, too, but patience is very essential!

Look for slacks of very soft material. Avoid jeans unless they are very soft fabrics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.