Knee sensitive to touch

Posted , 11 users are following.

Good morning forum! I'm 10 weeks post op and I was wondering if anyone else have experienced sensitivity with their TKR? My knee is so sensitive it almost feels like I have no skin protecting it. I normally use my compression knee highs to help. It is quite painful especially when the covers rub against it. Other than the compression stocking, is there anything else I can do to relieve the discomforting feeling?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been having the same issue. I had a bilateral TKR done 5 1/2 weeks ago and I can't stand anything touching my knees. I sometimes even throw the duvet off me at night because I can't bear anything touching them - they are so sensitive. Today I had to suck it up and wear pants as the weather is getting chilly and I feel I can no longer get away with shirts or capris. I have to admit I survived but not with any comfort. I couldn't wait to get them off and put on soft pyjama pants and hopefully these will be ok.

• Posted

I have a progress report. I was able to walk up the stairs. I haven't been able to do this since forever. I took a chance and used my cpm machine all night last night. I think this will help loosen up the knee. Full range of motion here I come!

• Posted

Hello, I had a problem with my leg being hypersensitive finally had doctor give me a script for gabapentin.  I was taking 3600 mg for awhile. This sensation lasted (still have slight discomfort) for over two months. You might see if your surgeon thinks this would help you. 
  • Posted

I had my TKR on the 23rd of July Phillip and I am having the same problem? My scar is so sensitive and it is so uncomfortable.My lower leg is uncomfortable too, burning and tingling. I really thought I would be getting back to normal by now.

I went to the gym yesterday to do some gentle cycling, it was so painful. I feel as if I am going backwards at the moment.Off to aqua exercise for the first time later. I really wish things would start moving, I feel as though I have reached a plateau, one step forward  two steps back.

I keep reading on here about seeing your PT, talking to the consultant, seeing your doctor but thats not so easy. 

I live in the UK and after six weeks you are on your own more or less. The doctors are so busy I feel as if I am mithering them and when I do see one I am just told it will take time. I see the consultant in December but that seems a long way off.

I'm so glad I found this forum.

• Posted

I feel your pain. I took this week off and I am feeling much better. I thought there was other things to try other than the compression stocking. I'm going to pass on getting more meds. My wife was taking gabopentin and I didn't like her side effects. I have been trying to get the gym routine worked into my schedule unsuccessfully. Thanks for your response.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.