Knee stiffness and pain following TKR or PKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm interested to hear from othersabout their knee stiffness following surgery. My PKR was Juky 23 and I still have major pain and stiffness after sitting or sleeping.  I'm not too bad if I keep moving.   Hot bath gives me 100 percent relief.  I also have a vibrating exercise machine and feel wonderful after 10 minutes of massage on it.  I've even gone back to using my can for my first few steps in the morning.  I guess I fear this isn't normal.  I saw my surgeon on October 2 and he said probably soft tissue damage.  I've also started biking outside about 15 minutes or so a day..no hills just a nice smooth ride.  This doesn't give new any discomfort at all.  I feel it's better to keep exercising and not give in to the pain and want to do nothing.

Wondering if others have stiffness like this did it get better and what do you think helped you.

i have people say it's been too long I shouldn't have pain, nd others who say the opposite...it takes months and months possibly.

thanks for your input.

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks for your update.  I actually had a less painful day yesterday.  I'm wondering if the biking is making me stronger?  I still had some discomfort after on...but overall much better than the day before, so days like thatI feel optimistic.

i hope you will continue to update me and I'll do the same.

i appreciate everyone's time.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, do you mean your stationary bike? I wonder whether I should try doing longer stints on mine. I found it quite uncomfortable - really pulled on this hamstring of mine - but then I raised the seat and it's quite comfortable now ( but boring 😞 ) It should help build up muscle shouldn't it? 

Loveley to spend the winter in a warm climate. I'm envious 😎 x x 

• Posted

No, because I'm in Florida I can get outside and bike.  No hills here so it's easy biking.  I actually think my legs both are starting to feel a little, notice is said little stronger..

I agree about stationary bikes, have never found one that's very comfee.

i do love it here....I spend a lot of time sewing. ...and we lve to dance, so next week will be my first attempt back dancing.

thanks for the conversation....

• Posted

Ha Ha I just had to laugh because I find the stationary bike SO very boring too! I try to stay on for 30 minutes ( I'm told to mix it up by walking for 30 minutes then the next day do the bike for 30 min) but it's so darn boring that it's hard to stay on that long! I've tried closing my eyes & pretending I'm biking along some beautiful beach or countryside, but it doesn't work.

Tried reading but that is uncomfortable. Don't have a TV in there but maybe should consider, if there is anything worth watching.

I should ride the "real bike" outside, but I'm afraid of falling off the darn thing!

Sorry, just had to throw in my comment smile

• Posted

Stationary bikes are very boring, totally agree.  I laughed because when I was at physio year back I used to pretend I was biking by a river looking t ducks.  The old men used to laugh at me.  
    • Posted

Dancing sounds good - what type do you do? It sounds as if Florida is doing you good 😊 
    • Posted

I can't ride a real bike believe it or not! Bit late to learn now😊 I watch tv on my i pad when I'm on the stationary bike but often I lose the signal and it goes off😊 
    • Posted

It's ball room, but we do what I'd call country ball room....not fancy...lol.  Threw also some line dancing.  It's a great deal. 3.00 dollars each admission and beer is 1.50, although not many of us old farts drink...lol
    • Posted

Hi Betty, buy yourself a cheap little Kareoke machine, then you can sing along with your fave songs, passes the time away and works for me , take care 
    • Posted

Good idea Tucks smile

I'll try anything to pass the time - it goes so slowly just staring out the window!

• Posted

Betty, it gets even smaller...I'm snowbirding in Florida near Moore Haven..
    • Posted

It sure is a small world! My husband worked on Epcot & Disney World when it first opened, so I'm familiar with Orlando having made many trips with him, and visited my cousin in Clermont, who works at a community mental health company. 

I also know it gets COLD there - how long do you stay? Did you have your TKR in Florida? Is your primary residence in Canada? 

Funny the things that come out of this forum smile

Betty

• Posted

Betty, my primary residence is Canada.  The Americans will only allow us to stay 182 max.  We are here until the bed of March.

My surgery was at home in Canada.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.