Knee stiffness and tightness after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I last visited this website during the eight months after my total knee replacement in February of 2019. It was a difficult year of recovery with ups and downs , but with therapy and exercise things did get better. I had my year's checkup and x-rays in February of this year, and the surgeon was pleased with my progress and said all was well. I am presently having renewed tightness and stiffness in the knee - much more so than previously. The doctor told me that it may well take another year for this to improve, but it seems to be getting worse. I walk every day and exercise the knee, but itcontinues to be stiff, tight and sometimes swollen. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this problem, and any measures I might need to take to help this condition improve. Thank you! I hope you are still on board, Chico!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Sorry, I have no advice for you. I had TKR Jan, 2018 and never had relief from pain, swelling, stiffness. Had a manipulation at the 7th month, but scar tissue came back as did the swelling and mostly stiffness and pain. Was scheduled for a revision in April, but of course that was cancelled. rescheduled for June 15th.... An excellent surgeon at Duke Hospital is doing my revision. Scared and anxious but hopeful that he can fix my botched knee replacement...

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement December 2018 and am dealing with the same issue.Tgere are timesI feel like it is improving and then suddenly I am in so pain pain from tightness that radiates up anddownmy left leg. Was to see my surgeon May 20, and suddenly with no explanation , I received anemail telling me my appointment was canceled. Not due to Covid as our hospitals are now open for surgery, etc. I am interested to hear what had helped others and will be following your post.

• Edited

Not to sound negative but i would recommend a pain management Dr and some Vicodin. It will be three years in July and still have that feeling. Ive been back several times to Surgeon who says it looks perfect and have had two Steroid epidural shots in case pain was coming from my back, which its not. I did therapy up the wazoo and followed all of Chico's wisdom and finally came to terms with not everybody's body accepts this operation and thats that. Since I can't turn back the hands of time

I take 1/2 to a whole Vicodin when it really hurts bad and use something called Arnica gel, yes I know about Volterin gel, it never did much for me. I truly hope your situation changes, unfortunately mine did not. Good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.! I seem to be in the same condition you are! Will continue to do what I can do, and hope time willhelp!

• Edited

hi i am the same x tightness and stiffness x im still finding coming down stairs difficult too x my knee seems to have a mind of its own x any suggestions on getting to grips witn coming down easy without the limp x also i see my surgeon at one year too but im afraid in case he says manipulation

• Edited

when I have spoken to my surgeon, and family doctor, they are at a loss as to what is causing this. or what to do. Based on posts here, and other people Ihave spoken with, this is not uncommon . How can nobody come up with solutions, or preventative suggestions if this is so common. I am actually in more pain than before surgery

• Posted

me too it My right knee never hurt before surgery my left knee did now i can barely walk

• Edited

Sorry you are having problems at this point. i had TKR Feb 2018 and a MUA at 11 weeks. unfortunately my knee, even after many physical therapy terms since surgery, is still stiff and feels very mechanical. Ive also had xrays and second opinion from another surgeon . According to them everything looks good !! i am afraid of revision since its!no guarantee things will be better . i have a special brace that does make it feel better but why should i have to wear that Ive had surgery already. so disappointed.

• Posted

its been 1 year after tkr i am much worse now numb up and down side of leg very stiff can barely walkno answers

• Edited

Hi, I too still have stiffness and the swollen feeling in my knee and it has been 7 months since my op. I keep being told it is normal so the only thing I find that helps is to either ice it or wear a cold pad on it, that seems to help.

• Edited

Please keep us posted on your progress and decision about your future treatment.

• Posted

Thank you to all who have so kindly replied to my post. I think the present state of my knee may be my new normal, and I will have to learn to live with it. I do plan to check in with my surgeon when the Corona virus has eased a bit and Drs. are back to seeing patients.

• Edited

I'm sorry that I can't offer any pearls of wisdom as at 6 months my TKR is still quite stiff and I feel that I haven't made the progress I should. I looked at Chico's advice - but I was doing all this already - which is depressing! My other knee was due to be replaced at the beginning of this month - and I am just hopeful that once that has been done I won't be walking so awkwardly - which has also affected my back and I'm now having to have physio on that!

What I have seen from replies to a post I wrote and also ones like yours is that no 2 knees are the same - and we have to accept that ours might take much longer to progress. One of my friends who had hers done by the same consultant as me on the same day can walk much further and up and down slopes - but even so, her knee is very swollen still. I can barely walk up or down slopes (well, down is much harder!). I think we have to be patient and keep doing the exercises. Obviously I'll be seeing the consultant when my other knee can be done - and I will ask him then. When I had a telephone consultation - he told me to be guided by my knee and if it were painful then I was overdoing it! Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.