Knee stiffness and tightness after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

I last visited this website during the eight months after my total knee replacement in February of 2019. It was a difficult year of recovery with ups and downs , but with therapy and exercise things did get better. I had my year's checkup and x-rays in February of this year, and the surgeon was pleased with my progress and said all was well. I am presently having renewed tightness and stiffness in the knee - much more so than previously. The doctor told me that it may well take another year for this to improve, but it seems to be getting worse. I walk every day and exercise the knee, but itcontinues to be stiff, tight and sometimes swollen. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experienced this problem, and any measures I might need to take to help this condition improve. Thank you! I hope you are still on board, Chico!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am new to this forum and have looked at your post as I have stiffness and tightness after TKR in January (5 months ago). It soemtimes feels like my knee is in a vice. It worries me that I may not be exercising properly or enough and that the scar tissue isn't breaking down or is renewing itself in some way. I am in UK and because of Covid, can only get telephone appts with physio which is pretty useless especially as he is not very good at answering my questions. I should have been having the second knee done this month but obv all ops are off. It doesnt help exercise when the arthritic leg is so painful and weak and is getting worse. It is concerning to hear you have stiff and tight knee after 15 months. Do your doctors give you specific advice for improving it other than walking?

• Posted

i am so glad to know there are others like me its been a year for me i have numbness up and down the right side of my leg from tkp it feels like a vice inside squezzing the inside of my leg sometimes its hard to walk it travels up and down my leg i have been to 2 Drs one said I have a nickle allergy its 4.1 ffom the metal test I had this Dr says revision the other Dr that did my tkp us thinking my back This is so frustrating my left leg is really hurting now based on compesating from right knee i really dont know what to do im afraid one day i will not be able to get out of bed i have do e acupuncture deep tissue massage lots if money it really does a number on my head

• Posted

i have been to 2 Drs and they have given me 2 different opinions I have the numbness up and down the side of my right leg my leg feels like its in a vice sometimes its hard to walk its been a year since I had total knee replacement on my right leg I have a lot of pain in my left It is getting worse Im glad I have found some others with this hopefully someone will have some answers soon good luck to us all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.