knee support post surgery

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 5 months post R-TKR Has anyone used a knee support? When I go climbing or any lengthy extended exercise. My knee is angry the next day. Wondering if support during climbing/hiking may help.

If so what do you recommend ?

Hope to hear

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When did you start hiking climbing after your operation? I walked about 7 miles after just under 12 weeks and cannot get right again. Pain and stiffness more days than not. Now having interferential treatment from a physiotherapist.

• Posted

I bet it is angry. I am 1 year out and I would not consider climbing. We all heal differently, listen to your knee. Maybe you are pushing too much.

• Posted

I am impressed that you go hiking. I live in the country and my road is gravel with lots of steep hills, which might be similar to where you hike, and whenever I go for a walk my knees definitely yell at me very loud. I ice and elevate for relief. I am almost 10 months after surgery, so I assume you may be doing too much and your knee is speaking loudly to you as well. Listen to your knee as it definitely let's you know your limits.

• Posted

Thanks for the heads up. The surgeon said "you would be able to ski in 6 weeks"post surgery. When I was at 6 weeks I wanted to call him and tell him he was crazy!

Anyway I am trying to get back to my old routine. Much slower that I thought. I don't think that I could deal with an injury too that knee and have to face a repair.

Again thanks for the response.

• Posted

i think your surgeon should have known better. I cannot comment on what motivated him to tell you that. Be careful and be well.

• Posted

I agree. It seems like a totally irresponsible thing to say.

• Posted

My surgeon and physical therapist both told me that I would be back to most of my physical fitness activities by six weeks post surgery for bilateral partial knee replacement. Needless to say, now at 5 months post surgery, I am still limping a bit and walking with some discomfort, and am not even close to normal fitness activities. I wish I could understand why the surgeon thought that six weeks would be a long enough recovery, but telling me that only served to make me feel demoralized and frustrated. Fortunately, I found this discussion forum, which has helped me adjust my expectations to something much more reasonable!

• Posted

Gillian Thanks for the post. I agree. I have though that the surgeon with his on line

videos highlighting people who were out water skiing etc soon after surgery and saying we could downhill ski at 6 weeks,was almost hyped false advertising . He boasts of a new procedure that gets you back to normal activity sooner than standard TKR. It sounded good but I can see I am having some of the same problems as others on this forum.The forum has helped me more than visits to the Dr's. And yes I was feeling like I was a hyperchondriac and thinking I am a weakling. So I pushed myself. Thanks to everyone on the forum. My husband is winderful but I am sure he is weary of listening to me complain about the pain.

• Posted

It's ridiculous. There may be a few people who are that lucky, but not the majority. My surgeon gave no false hopes and said it's one of the most painful surgeries you can have,. He said to expect to be reasonably mobile, as in walking, at 6 weeks, gradually getting back to normal activities from 12 weeks, but a year minimum for full recovery. Take it easy, try things, but if they cause pain, ease back. It's unlikely you'll do any damage to the implant, but when you think what they've done to our knees it's the same as a double amputation and all the layers down to the bone have been cut through. I was told there can be as many as 5 or 6 layers of sutures knitting all the soft tissues back together again so,we need to be kind to our knees while they mend.

• Posted

I am pushing 70, but normally lead a very active life. I relied on the information contained in a handbook issued to patients in the hospital where I was supposed to have my surgery. It talked about resuming normal activities in 12 weeks. I hiked up Rivington Pike near Bolton just 11 weeks less one day after my operation. Danced at a party on 30th June, then walked a total of 7 miles along the seafront at Blackpool, in the course of one day 2 days later. That was my undoing. My surgeon was shocked when I told him of my antics and said that it takes a year to fully recover. I just wish he had told me that before the operation. So, no more rambling pro tem, no Zumba. Buses to and from the shops. Slowly getting better.

• Posted

Again not enough info coming from these surgeons prior to surgery about the days and months after surgery and what to expect.This forum is the best. Thanks Gillian

• Posted

I have to say I agree with the others. If your knee is angry the day after, it sounds as if it's telling you to slow down. I'm at 8 months and my knee still lets me know if it's had enough. Personally, I wouldn't use a support because you need the muscles, tendons and ligaments to strengthen. You could try icing and elevating for an hour or so after such activity to,see if that helps, otherwise just cut back for a while and then try again. Remember you're not even halfway through at least a year for full recovery.

• Posted

I agree with you about not using a knee support. Before my operation, I couldn't leave the house without it, but now that I have got my new knee, I don't find it necessary.

• Posted

Thanks so much good advice. Will slow down a bit. Obviously my method of feeling I need to get back out and work that knee isn't working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.