kneeling

Posted , 20 users are following.

hello all, I am almost 8 weeks tkr and despite a slow start I have had a fairly smooth recovery so far, however I am totally unable to even attempt to kneel on my new knee,we heat our house with a wood burner which involves a fair bit of kneeling to set/clean and put fuel on.At the moment it is not a problem but come autumn time it will be. Do any of you have any advice? are you able to kneel down and if so how on earth do you get back to standing? the logistics of it defeat me !

2 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Dotty Lotty

I'm 10 months post TKR and ( excuse the language) it hurts like HELL when I kneel on my knee! I don't think there's an answer whether you should or will be able to kneel. I think it all depends on how it feels when you do it!

And getting up??? Let's just say I don't think I'll ever be able to get down on my knees or the floor again!

We are all different & I envy those who have no trouble with kneeling or getting down on the floor.

Good luck to you Dotty

Betty

• Posted

Confidence plays a big role, for sure, but I'm talking about the actual pain that is felt when I kneel.

Some ( I'm probably one of them) may never be able to kneel again simply because it's too painful. Others may be able to do it just fine. Like I said, we are all different, that's why I don't think there is really an answer as to whether we should or ever be able to kneel.

I do hope Dotty will be able to light her fire in the fall smile

Good luck to all of you and "happy kneeling" smile

Betty

• Posted

I was told by my surgeon's registrar not to kneel as I still have my own kneecap and it could get damaged. I do manage to kneel on my 'good' knee to get down on the floor to do some of my exercises and manage to get up - but not very elegantly! I miss getting down on the floor to play with my grandchildren but have to accept it. I don't want to risk causing any more problems. 

I'd get some advice from your surgeon, Dotty Lotty, before lighting your fire 😊 

• Posted

Hi Jen!

I remember when we first "met" on this forum, soon after our TKR's, you were saying how you looked forward to being able to get down on the floor and play with your grandchildren.

I'm sorry that has not happened for you. I think I was expecting to be like I was when in my 20's & 30's - how silly I was! I don't regret having my TKR as I would be much worse off otherwise, but I think some of us are a little surprised & disappointed to realize we still have limitations, not being able to kneel being one of them.

Are you back to your routine now after your lovely trip to lake Como? We bought a new home ( wanted to get out of our 2 story) with a sport pool ( deepest end is 5') and I'm looking forward to doing water exercises for all my arthritic aches & pains 😬

Take care my friend - are you going for your one year check up in July?

I plan to, & also get X-rays on my hip.

XX Betty

• Posted

Hi Betty, 

Yes it is disappointing not to be able to "get down with the kids", I have done it once or twice but it takes me so long to get up and down, using pillows and something to hold onto that it's not really worth it 😊 . You're spot on when you refer to disappointment at our limitations. Even on our holiday last week I felt a bit of a bore when my sister in law, who we went with, was so encouraging when she praised me for my walking so well and I had to add that it was still not perfect and there were times when it was stiff etc. Like you, I'm not sorry I had it done as I would not be able to walk for long at all but it's like having a new knee not a normal knee (if that makes sense). 

Your new house sounds very exciting. It would be lovely to exercise in a warm pool. You enjoy it.

i don't get a check up in July. I last went in December and was told I'd be sent for again 12 months from then. I think they check annually after that. He did tell me to contact him if I had any problems though and told me he'd keep an eye on my hip without me having to go through the whole referral process again. Although that is a bit troublesome I'm nowhere near thinking of an op on that yet. I'm hoping the exercises I do will keep it going for a while.

Let me know how you get on at your check up and what the x rays of your hip reveal. In the meantime, enjoy that lovely hydrotherapy.

Jen xx

PS I must add another positive experience which also might encourage other followers. One of my sons completed a cycling challenge for a local charity yesterday, cycling 110 miles. I went to watch him at one of the final stages and then at the Finish. It meant standing around for nearly 4 hours in total. There's no way I could have done that as recently as a few months ago but I managed just fine. Little bit stiff but not uncomfortable. So, yes, definitely worth having it done 😊 

• Posted

I haven't been able to knee on my left knee done 8 years ago...so I know I won't be able to kneel on the right knee. (12 weeks PO).. we also had a solid fuel fire which needed cleaning out each morning and stoked up during the day.  We had to change the heating system to gas.
  • Posted

I couldn't kneel before the operation because of the pain was told you shouldn't but I wouldn't try anyway because my right knee needs doing have got an appointment for 13th nov to see consultant about that 
  • Posted

I was told to wait 6 months and then nature would let me know if it was acceptable. I had already had 4 surgeries and radiation prior to the tkr. He was going to let me try 6 months after the revision but with all the other problems ice had everyone, surgeons and therapists said i should never try it again. I did find an easy way to get down and plant flowers this spring......I had the kids do it.
    • Posted

Well that's " usin your noggin" smile

I like how you resolved your problem of getting your flowers planted! smile

Betty

• Posted

god i have not tried but also i was told a no no for us ,id never manage with the two done .im always worried if i fell when out because i wouldnt be able to get back up would anyone help me if i did or would they walk by and think she must be drunk or out of it on drugs ha! hope i dont ever find out
    • Posted

When I was 8 weeks post op (bilateral) I was in the garden & was trying to catch a cane toad (revolting creatures).  Nearly had it but then went down onto my right knee.  I was horrified wondering what damage I might have done, then it hit me - how am I going to get up? I did manage it, but don't ask me how?  No damage caused that I know of except for a grazed elbow.
    • Posted

ha !! fair play to you  i bought a foam roller thing recently to use on my calfs and hamstrings so i put it on the floor and eased onto the floor from the sofa great and did some excersises getting back up on the sofa was something else i had to use my elbows to pull myself up backwards onto the sofa my grandchild was looking at me puzzeled she is 3
    • Posted

We start life crawling and end up crawling again haha I'm the same but gives ourselves a good laugh
    • Posted

Actually, Shirley, I was watching my grandson crawling across the floor the other day and thought "Oh I wish I could do that! rolleyes
    • Posted

Haha I've done that many a time. It's funny but hurts a little too that we're not what we used to be especially when we're not that old
    • Posted

exactly things we took for granted for so long not have to be thought through like cleaning out presses that are low down thank god my hips work but its not the same as before you just knelt without giving a second thoughtor before id step up on a chair to find something now i get the step ladder just in case  its like when children try to jump off things you see the danger while they know they can do it .its put a stop to freedom of movement as we knew it but what the heck we also can laugh at ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.