kneeling

Posted , 20 users are following.

hello all, I am almost 8 weeks tkr and despite a slow start I have had a fairly smooth recovery so far, however I am totally unable to even attempt to kneel on my new knee,we heat our house with a wood burner which involves a fair bit of kneeling to set/clean and put fuel on.At the moment it is not a problem but come autumn time it will be. Do any of you have any advice? are you able to kneel down and if so how on earth do you get back to standing? the logistics of it defeat me !

2 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lotty

I am only on my 10 day of recovery, but my doctor did say that I will never kneel again and that I must sit. I too have a wood burner and I have always sat on a stool to set/ clean and to put logs on the fire, and found some long handled cleaning brushes and poker helps me.

hope this helps 

• Posted

19 weeks, and I still wouldn't kneel except perhaps on the bed . . .At least you have another twelve or fourteen weeks before you'll need the wood burner going, but do be careful with any sort of kneeling.  Is it not possible to sit on a low chair and do whatever is necessary????
  • Posted

Best not to kneel at all - but I have found a technique as I need to 'kneel' to with my fire on. I tested it away from the fire a few times. its hard to describe but I kneel on one knee and keep my other leg straight. i hold on to a footstool and do whate I need to do then i put bith hads on the floor and 'walk' back up to tanding position pushing on my good leg. But I could not do it until about 10 weeks. And spent a few occasions sitting on the flloor - I also crawled on my bum and then went back and use my sofa to get myself up. but BE CAREFUL - not worth damaging yourself - get help or get a temporary alternative fire! 
    • Posted

I have just tried the bum shuffle idea, It actually worked quite well untill it came to getting back up, that was certainly an experience ! I will keep practicing, many thanks
  • Posted

Ooh difficult question when every consultant is different. I'm 12 weeks post TKR and just had a new carpet in babies nursery (Grandson not mine haha ) just kneeled down automatically and omg did I Squeal! Not sure if it was with pain or sudden realisation that I'm not supposed to but I did. Actually got bruised knee this morning but that's probably shock to tendons etc. My advice dotty.....DON'T DO IT xxx
    • Posted

I will have to develop new ways of doing things where theres a will ther is a way, thanks
  • Posted

I accidently stepped off the bottom stair with a load of washing in my arms  3 months before my op and landed on my left  TKR of 8 years old.....and it HURT....came out in bruises and though it didn't swell I was worried.   Told the consultant when I went for the pre op assessment for the right knee, had a double xray of both legs and the knee was fine.  But I don't intend kneeling at all.
  • Posted

Hi DottyLotty - this might help? I've bought a little seat (for gardening really) but no reason you can't use it in the house. It has a padded seat and its base is like a rounded rocker that allows you to tip gently forwards (there's a pointy bit at the front as well to keep it stable and stop any tumbles! Its also quite easy to shuffle it about ona smoothish surface like wood/carpet etc. Got it on a famous internet retail site. Sitting on it I can easily reach the floor so I guess you could reach your wood burner and log basket? But i have to make sure there's something handy nearby to lever myself up with as my legs don't seem strong enough to do the job on on their own! I can actually kneel a bit but am a bit chary about it as don't want to push my luck!! My surgeon is one of the school that says its perfectly OK to kneel but patients don't because it feels too uncomrtable!
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer - it's made by garden brand tm a Minnesota company named vertex international. It's green in colour. Can't remember how much it cost - not a lot I don't think.
    • Posted

Thanks, Tess. I found it online but it seems to be only available in the USA. I can't find one in the UK. I'll keep looking for something similar. It looks really good but I wonder if it might be a bit low for me - I'm not great at getting up and down from a low seat! Thanks a lot though.

Jen 

• Posted

I found it on the well known internet retail site and think I put in a search for gardening stools for people with arthritis - worth a try! I've found that search engines don't always give you what you expect but if you keep re-phrasing the question you can often get there! Will look again myself and see if I can fi d an answer.
    • Posted

Yep you're right! Have looked everywhere and it's out of stock or discontinued - only place I found one was on eBay. Wonder why? Maybe someone rocked and rolled on it too much and health and safety stepped in! Shame though cos it's sooo useful. Hope you do manage to get hold of one - good hunting!
    • Posted

Thanks, Tess. Yes, I'll continue to keep an eye out for something similar.

Jen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.