kneeling

Posted , 20 users are following.

hello all, I am almost 8 weeks tkr and despite a slow start I have had a fairly smooth recovery so far, however I am totally unable to even attempt to kneel on my new knee,we heat our house with a wood burner which involves a fair bit of kneeling to set/clean and put fuel on.At the moment it is not a problem but come autumn time it will be. Do any of you have any advice? are you able to kneel down and if so how on earth do you get back to standing? the logistics of it defeat me !

2 likes, 81 replies

81 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 5 weeks TKR, po and was told NO kneeling til next Spring by both the doctor and the PT. Everyone is different, so if I were you, I'd talk with my doctor and/or PT.

Even by next Spring, I was told to make sure to use some kind of kneeling pad.

• Posted

Hi all

I am due to have TKR in the next 3 months.  I have already been told that I wont be able to kneel.  That really hasn't bothered me as the pain in my knee has meant I have not been able to kneel for year anyway!  So am a bit confused and scared on this forum as everyone seems to be saying that their TKR is so bad and painful, does this mean that I am better off NOT having the surgery?  I'm not reading about how wonderful the surgery has been in comparison to pre surgery pain?  

• Posted

Oh no we are not putting you off the surgery.  I had a left TKR 8 years ago had no problems and it has been great,  The post surgery which is different for everyone and  you could sail through with no problems.  I am 12 weeks right TKR had no pain after day 2 post po, just discomfort but you get pain killers to help with this. Don't be afraid to take them .  If you are invited to the pre surgery physio, go they give you all the details and the exercised to do before hand.    I went, but had been doing some as I kept the leaflets from my previous surgery but you can also find the exercises on the 'big ' search engine and print off.    I also asked to be put on a cancellation listing and had my surgery 4 weeks early so no time to be concerned it happened so quick.    The only thing I worried about was that I am a diabetic and I knew healing would be a little slower, but this has not affected me so worried for nothing.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reassurance.  After reading everything on here I was thinking I'd cancel the surgery and just lead a life trapped in the house where I suffer very little pain.  I amd sure the post op recovery is going to be a nightmare but I am hoping it will be worth it ..... not too much of that reassurance on this forum! It's as tho people have forgotten the pain they were in before the tKR?  I am hoping the TKR will eventually take my pain away, not leave me in as much pain as before!!
    • Posted

Please don't be scared!! I know it does sound a bit like doom and gloom but to be honest I think it's better to have the op than not. Yes it is painful but that's why we're given pain killers and it can be uncomfortable but these are only short term. Things get easier with each passing week/month. I'm now 4 months post op and back working full time. I don't take any pain killers and don't use a stick. Walking is pretty much back to what it was before I had trouble with my knee. I can drive for a fairly long distance and all in all feel far more positive than I did when I was in pain before the op. Just remember that everyone is different but if you listen to your consultant and physiotherapist you will be fine!! Good luck and best wishes!! 🌺😉
    • Posted

Don't be put off I had mine done 9 weeks ago have had more discomfort than actual pain I have oa in the other knee which I am having done later in the year and have more pain from that than the operated one so I am really pleased I had it done 
    • Posted

I have been reading all of this and thinkinh that anyone who goes on to have the other knee done must be crazy!  Thank you for your reassurance.
    • Posted

I think if you reread you will find that almost no one has A regret after t he 1st few months. It is a very painful operation. Depending where you are there are different protocols for pain relief. I'm in the US. My Dr advocates a pre surgery insertion of a a i Devin the femoral artery and a slow drip of painkiller. This is augmented with a pump so you can self direct an additional dosage. The sure his removed around 48 hrs post op. By then they have already commenced with the pills. Even with that there is going to be pain because of the swelling. It's like an ulcerated tooth that's making you so sick and is so painful you can't do anything but try and get any kind of relief, it's not going away until you get to the bottom of the problem. Its not recognized as an elective surgery . age and overall physic Age and overall physical condition play a big role in recovery. If you have several weeks, start strengthening your quads and lower back.
    • Posted

Lol Sleepy I watched a film of the op before mine and it scared me to death and when I saw some of the scars I was horrified BUT even though I am having a few problem's at 12 weeks post op I can honestly say I no longer have that dragging nagging pain I had before the op and im sure that after a few more months when I can sleep again etc I wont regret it????? Go ahead you deserve a better quality of life!!!
    • Posted

Hi, please do not cancel your surgery, I know everyone is different and heal at different times, so this is how I'm doing and hope it gives you confidence to go ahead. I only had my TKR done 13 days ago, I was out of hospital on the 5 day, walking with crutches. I am still walking with crutches but most likely could manage with one crutch now. Last night was the best nights sleep I have had, it's mostly uncomfortable so take all the pills they give you as they do help such a lot. The exercises that I do are OK, one of the exercises that I do is painful but persevere it will ease and get better, one other thing that help me was someone gave me like a rubber sling, I still use it to help me put my foot up, so I would suggest getting one of them, as you can see I'm still early doors, but I am so glad that I had it done as otherwise I would have not left the house. I am 58, female and due to my husbands work we are in Saudi Arabia, so that is where I had my TKR done and I cannot fault the hospital or the staff I was well looked after. If there is anything else that you would like to know please get back in touch, you are not alone on this forum and that in itself gives us all reassurance.take care Gill x
    • Posted

Hi there sleepylu

i understand what you are saying it does seem as if we are all doom and gloom! We have had a lot of laughter on here as well as we share how the days have gone.

I know when I first came onto the site it was scary. I watched the video of the op on a well known site it helped me to understand when I went through the different stages. One person on here who has helped a lot is the old fay guy, he is truthful and helpful I listened to his responses. The main thing to remember is to take pain meds on a regular basis. Ice, and elevate. The nature of the operation means that most of us have had sleepless nights I learnt to take all med about 11 pm did exercises to loosen knee. Iced and then I slept til 6 or 7 the next day. You need rest for your body the heal so take every opportunity to rest. 

Would I have the op YES I would, hubby and I used to walk 12 14 miles a couple times a week, before op this was to painful we still walked upto 3 miles but I was spaced out on meds and it took til next walk to feel better. I am 13 weeks post op and have walked 4 miles this is to a well known store where we have coffee a look around then walk back I have set goals throughout. We go on cruise 2 weeks time and I will be doing a lot a walking in Venice and other country's, so that is my next goal

• Posted

Hi Sleepylou, I had both knees done around 10 weeks ago. The post op was nothing compared to before I had them done. To be able to walk pain free is so wonderful. Yes I still have days of discomfort, usually when it is a cold day. Then I fill up my hot water bottle & go back to bed to warm my feet up as I find that helps the aches in my legs. But it is discomfort not pain. Google luck.
    • Posted

I think you need to remember that most folk recover swiftly and with no problem, I guess the people who post on this site are the exceptions and use this site to seek answers and reassurance,I doubt that we are a fair representation of the total  tkr population.I personally tend to use this site when I have questions or issues that only those who have been through it will understand, when things are going smoothly you will not hear from me (I hope that makes some sense)You also need to remember that we will all eventually recover from our surgery, but without the surgery we will NEVER be pain free.I hope you are one of the lucky ones, but if you need support we will all be here, best wishes to you
    • Posted

You are totally right, setting small goals and something to look forward to is the best way forward,Enjoy your cruise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.