Kneeling

Posted , 13 users are following.

Im 13wk post tkr and im still struggling .has anyone else bad problems not beingable to kneel.ive just spent 30 minutes tryi g to vet out of the bath.yes i usualy do bave a shower but am in the middle of getting a new one put in.this problem is dribving me up the wall as its stopping me doing alot of things.help.x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Janice, I had a TKR 14 wks ago and yes I have the same problem. I cant kneel as its too painful and cant bend my knee enough to get in the bath properly. I dont have a shower so I bought a bath seat and I find that easier. I feel Im never going to get back to normal but from what I hear from other people it takes a year at least to recover
    • Posted

It's too early Janice, way too early to try and kneel.

Im a year post op, and still wouldn't.

• Posted

I'm 14 weeks and there's no way I could get in a tub without help right now,Im58 years old and yes I wonder if I'll ever get any better ,yet they say a year I will. hang in there and maybe make sure someone is with you if you have to take a bath. Good luck 👍

• Posted

Hi Janice it takes a long time for the numbness and sensitivity to go away. Mine still hasn't.im two years next month and I've been on the list to hv my other tkr.

But there r so many other things I can do. It's so worth it

• Posted

will you be trying stem cell therapy first?   So much less invasive and it takes just one hr as an out patient.
    • Posted

Docs try to regrow your cartilage using your stem cells.  This was mentioned to me 15 years ago but I was already too old (over 50) for it to be approved plus it was still quasi-experimental.  Also, it could be done on my femoral condyle, not a new meniscus.  Don't know the state of the technology today

• Posted

Check with your surgeon to see if he will even allow it. Some docs say no others say after 6 months. Probably due to the number of surgeries I've had, my doc doesn't want me to even try and I'm 16 months out since my last surgery. Just be very careful and have a soft pillow or foam under it when and if you do try.

• Posted

Hi, I was told not to try kneeling Ever! A knee replacement is not the same as your own knee andnever will be. Some things we have to give up and adapt to new ways of doing things
    • Posted

Thats no good then as my job intails kneeling to take things out of ovens n hot cudboards as i work in a school kitchen and cant afford to get paid off.
    • Posted

You might be better off changing your job, or asking someone to lift stuff out of the oven for you. Honestly kneeling on a tkr is a definite no no !!!!
    • Posted

Wish i could change jobs but were im from jobs are very scares and its part of my contract to lift kneel n bend.
    • Posted

Well you really need to talk to your surgeon hon. I've had both my knees replaced within the last year and was told no kneeling. It must be very difficult for you especially concerning your work but your health is the most important thing . Hope you get some answers.

• Posted

I've heard a lot of people say they can't kneel but I've been lucky. I can kneel on padded kneelers at church and I can kneel on a machine I'm used to using at the gym so I'm very grateful. However, to make sure I don't have problems, I roll up a towel, which works great. Good luck. Sorry you are having these problems. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.