Kneeling

Posted , 13 users are following.

Im 13wk post tkr and im still struggling .has anyone else bad problems not beingable to kneel.ive just spent 30 minutes tryi g to vet out of the bath.yes i usualy do bave a shower but am in the middle of getting a new one put in.this problem is dribving me up the wall as its stopping me doing alot of things.help.x

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yeah...kneeling is a tough one.  First, you have to have the flexion so your leg will be better than 90-degress.  Reaching the goal of 0 / +120 is really important.  I have found the knee to be "tender" for a long time but now at 7 months, it's a lot better.  Kneeling is still a tentative thing for me but it's getting better.

• Posted

Hi - my surgeon told me kneeling and running are two things never to do post TKR. Perhaps you need to ask your surgeon what they recommend ?

I can relate to the getting in and out of the bath !! I have one of those huge old claw foot baths and it is a workout getting out safely but the bliss of being able to have a decent soak makes it worth the effort for me smile

Keep safe.

• Posted

Mine a jaquzzi bath so when i get in it does help alot its just getting out..i only seen my pt twice,first time she said was to swollen n the nxt time she said was doing ok n dindnt need her .i had been getting on great but past couple of days its been realy paingul again n having problems walking.
    • Posted

I had my left knee replaced six months ago and in the past month or two, I seemed to be going in the wrong direction with pain and even movement but I had an epidural in my low back the other day -- a third in the series -- and I  think I'm back on the right track. My left knee, the one that was replaced, has been bone-on-bone for a good while but in September 2015 my right knee went out and hurt more than the left one ever did. They called it "compensation" so I started using a cane, which caused posture that ended up aggravating an old issue in my low back. I had the first series of three epidurals before my knee replacement and that first series helped alleviate the back pain and actually both knees seemed to settle down. I had the TKR in late March and did well but about a month ago, as I said, I seemed to be losing ground with the new knee. I took myself back to the pain doctor for another tune up. This series was much more problematic. Each time I had an epidural it seemed to just aggravate my new knee. I started experiences a whole new kind of pain. When I went back just a few days ago, I didn't intend to have the third and final epidural but the doctor explained that he thought the third one focused on the "new knee" side, would help. It seems to be working so I'm back to feeling more optimistic.

• Posted

Hi Janice... I'm 1yr post op with my first TKR and 3wks with my 2nd and I've never been able to kneel, I couldn't kneel before the op either.  My surgeon did tell me prior to my first op tho that I may never be able to kneel or squat again .. which didn't really bother me as I haven't been able to either for so many years now. 

But at 13wks definitely too early to try and kneel.  Goodness you were game being able to get in the bath!!!

• Posted

My surgeon just said it would take a few weeks to feel normal and not to expect to much for the first 6-8wks but nothing else.
    • Posted

Wow Janice .. mine told me that my knee wouldn't feel normal for 12-18+mths.  He gave me so much info and went over every detail of the operation and what to expect afterwards etc... he was extremely helpful.

• Posted

Mine was a bit like that also. In fact I only had a phone conversation from him to confirm the need for the op. Couldn't get in for a face to face pre op as he is so very very booked up. My expectations were very vague looking back on it but it is all going well and he is highly respected in our area. I did recieve a pack of written info.

• Posted

I had TKR 4 years ago.  I can kneel just about but will never be able to kneel right back on my haunches, if you know what I mean?

It does get better with time.  I was told it would be about a year before I realy started feeling the benefits and I reckon that was about right.

Keep in touch

Love Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.