Kneeling after TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

Awaiting TKR and have been told that it's unlikely you can kneel down afterwards.

Can anyone tell me if they have achieved kneeling once recovered (probably months after surgery).

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I kneel no problem . I use knee pads or something soft. I do yoga and I am an artist who likes painting big, so I often kneel when painting on the floor.

I don't do positions in yoga which involve putting all my weight on one knee and i don't do the kind of kneel where you actually sit on your heels with the weight on them.

It probably depends on what kind of kneel. I was kneeling reasonably comfortably, though it felt a bit odd, from 6 weeks post op.

I cannot see why kneeling on all fours would be damaging as long as you had cushioning under the knee.

But it may vary depending what the surgeon has done, what type of knee you have and many other factors.

I started trying to kneel very early on on my bed , as it was a good way to work on the bend , and I really wanted to kneel in the future. I didn't want my psychological aversion to the very odd sensation to put me off! I think I started around 5 weeks post op, very gently, very gently, on the mattress of my bed and leaning forward a lot. It caused a bit of discomfort, but I didn't do it more than once a day. And very gently.

I would find it very restricting if I could not kneel at all. Still feels a bit odd sometimes. I am almost one year post op, TKR,

• Posted

Thank you!!!!! I will be following your "regime" after my surgery. I struggle to kneel comfortably now and have been unable to sit back on my heels since my arthroscopy and meniscus trim 5 years ago but was really worried that I would lose kneeling completely.

I have a very precious 10 month old granddaughter and the thought of no longer being able to kneel down to play was actually making me consider refuse surgery. I guess a lot of people are put off by the altered sensation so either don't try kneeling or don't "practice" enough from an early stage but I will be following your idea.

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Sandra. I can kneel on both knees however it's an unpleasant feeling. I use a cushion, one for each knee, or a pillow. I had to kneel to exit a plunge pool 12 months after surgery. It is possible although I try to avoid it!!! Feels strange and the device does not enjoy it either. xx

• Posted

Again thanks for your reply, it's good to know that it's the sensation which puts people off and that if you can cope with the weird feelings then it is achievable.

• Posted

Bullpucky!!! 

First, the knee is freaking METAL!!!  You can't damage that by kneeling on it.  Second, after months and months and months and months of healing (a full recovery almost always takes a full year), you'll find that you can kneel on it on soft surfaces...your bed will be the first.  As you progress, you will find that the sensation of kneeling doesn't come from the joint but the surrounding NERVES that have been affected.  So the "pain" you will feel will be some nerve "tingling".

I'm almost 2 years post-op and I kneel down all the time to do things.  Rules: 1. NEVER kneel on a hard surface (tile, cement, dirt, ANYTHING...).  It's gonna hurt; 2.  Indoors, have a nice 3-4" foam pad around.  Great for scrubbing floors, cleaning bathrooms, etc.  You will feel nothing.; and 3. Outside, get yourself a pair of padded tactical knee pads...yeah...SWAT stuff.  Great for gardening, etc.

Will this ever completely go away?  The old pros who are 10+ years post-op say yes but I don't believe it.  I think there will always be some residual nerve sensations that will never go away.  However, if you take the above precautions, kneeling will not be a problem.

Finally, more important than the kneeling is the list of do's and don't after a TKR.  In summary, you cannot do ANYTHING that either pounds or twists the knee...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/do-s-and-don-ts-after-a-tkr-a-typical-list-541794

Running, jogging, competitive sports, etc. are all verboten...time to find a cutthroat shuffleboard league.

Meanwhile, here's some thoughts pre-op...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-pre-op-expectations-622045

I'm being very realistic...not scary.  This is a major op that includes a lot of short-term pain coupled with a long recovery time.  You have to do everything in your power pre-op (prepare your home, strengthen your body, hydrate a lot...) and post-op (handle the depression, meds, sleeplessness, exercising and more) to stay sane and focused.  Click on my name and then "See All Discussions" for a lot of information about tons of topics.

Your body, mind, heart and soul will all be challenged...be prepared...you can do it just as we all have done.  This Forum is a great place to ask questions and get support when you think you're alone.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!  This is difficult but absolutely doable.  Know that it is NOT LINEAR!!!  There are advances, setbacks and plateaus.  Post this on your fridge and look at it every day!!!

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

All the work will pay off down the road when you can walk and climb stairs all normally with no pain.  But to get there takes three things: time, work and patience.  There are no schedules or timetables.  Everyone is different so don't compare your recovery to that of anyone else.  Give up ALL your expectations of what you think this will be or how long it will take.  Most of all, love yourself...be kind to yourself.  It helps a lot.  Good luck!!!

• Posted

Kneeling is a challenge. I’m three years out but you can find good little gardening pads that work well.
    • Posted

Great I already have knee pads as I've found it uncomfortable to kneel for any length of time following arthroscope and meniscus trim.

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

?I can kneel, however, regardless of whether I have a padded cushion or not, it is so uncomfortable (BUT NOT PAINFUL) just very uncomfortable, I choose to limit my kneeling to those household tasks or other mundane tasks which require me to kneel - or else I don't kneel at all.

?Can't remember now I exactly experimented with kneeling, probably just after I returned to work at 11 weeks - certainly not before that.

John

• Posted

YES-at least I Can kneel on my right knee which I had replaced about 11 years ago--kneel on it with no problem--at least at church on padded kneelers-but I doubt I could kneel on a hard floor. I haven't even tried to kneel on my recent left knee at church--8 weeks post o.  I honestly can't recall how many months post op it was for my right kn--but I feel good knowing I should be able to kneel with both knees eventually.

• Posted

I kneel  every Sunday at mass. Last Sunday for 20-30 minuets. Was able to do it little by little after 6 mos or sooner. 

However, I still wish to God I never had it done. My old knee was better than this; I am 18 months out. I will never have the other knee done, it is bone-on-bone but I refer to it as my ‘ good knee’. 

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hmm yes I am beginning to wonder if it's "better the devil you know...". I have got my pre-op in a few weeks and I'm debating if I should just say "you know what? I think I'll just live with the pain for a bit longer". I've had various surgeries in the past and never thought twice about consenting for them but this has really got me undecided!!!!

• Posted

I had four knee scopes in my 50's to repair meniscus and femoral condyle in each knee.  Left me  bone-on-bone with growing arthritis...like rust, it never sleeps...  When the pain got worse, doc gave me SynVisc shots (3-shot regimen, days 1, 8 and 15).  Each set kept me completely pain free for 10-12 months at a time.  Did that for 5-6 years.  Then moved to a MUCH warmer climate and needed NOTHING for another 5 years.  Finally succumbed to a TKR for knee #1 at age 68.  Two years later and I'm doing great.  Maybe the SynVisc will work for you and put off the "inevitable" for a while longer.  

• Posted

Just be aware that in then run up your mind finds all kinds of reasons not to have it done!

It's a kind of natural backing away reaction! 😀

We all felt it at some point I am sure!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.