L4 L5 Decompression Discectomy Success Story

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I am writing this post in response to the hundreds of horror stories that I have read on these many forums. I am a 36 year old mate who had a L4 L5 decompression discectomy 4 weeks to the day.

A bit about me then, as I said I am a 36 year old male, 6 foot 2 and althletic build. I have served in the British Army in both Commando and Airborne sqaurdrons. I am now a Police Officer and have been for ten years now and work on the firearms teams. The reason I had a herniated disc was that I always pushed my body to the limits and just took pain killers when my lower back hurt. I can recall back to 2005 when I was blown up in Iraq to my back problems. I would just push through the pain still squatting and doing dead lifts even though my hamstrings where tight through my running i just wouldn't give in.

That is until last summer 2015, I picked up a sofa at work whilst wearing all my kit (body armour, pistol and magazines strapped to my legs). I should of asked for some help but being a stubborn man who could do anything physical of course I wasn't going to ask for help. As soon as I lifted it I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring in my left leg but I thought nothing of it as I have always suffered with some form of back or leg pain. After approximately 1 week the pain was even worse but I could still walk and complete my day to day tasks. I paid for physio and sport massages which seemed to help and I was back in the gym thinking everything was ok, just carrying on. I had sciatic pain constantly for approximately 4 months at degreeing levels until November 2016. Carried on as normal until a hard day at work and a chest infection, I have always been very guarded on how I cough and sneeze because of my herniated disc, it would hurt like hell if I wasn't careful. Went to bed and fell into a deep sleep, that was until a coughing fit in the middle of the night. As soon as I had finished I knew my back had gone but I thought it would get better, I laid in bed for 4 days on just my right hand side because that was the only position that didn't hurt. I couldn't stand up without having to dive back on the bed in such agony. I had to go to the toilet in a bottle because I just couldn't stand up.

After 4 days of this I had to phone for an ambulance because it was just getting worse and the GP would not come to me because I was not an emergency, yeah I know not been able to stand for 4 days is not an emergency. To get into the ambulance I had to slide off the bed on my right hand side and the same down the stairs and onto the bed at the bottom of the stairs. Got to hospital where I was given Co-codomol, tramadol and diazepam but still had the pain so I was given a bed.

Had a MRI scan after 7 days in hospital where it was found that I had herniated my L4 L5 disc so much that most of the disc was hanging out. I was told by the surgeon that surgery was the only way which I knew myself anyway because of the pain. I welcomed the surgery because physio, pain killers and sport massages would never of fixed my herniation. As you look through these forums you will read that some people think that dancing around a tree and rubbing cream on your back will solve the problem, a bulge can go back with the above help but an herniated disc even if the pain is under control will not go away once it has poured out, it doesn't miraculously go back. You can look through all the websites and there is very little evidence that a herniated disc will go back to normal but a bulge yes.

When I woke up from the operation I had no sciatic pain at all, the only pain I had was from the surgery. The surgeon was unsure if I needed a fusion but said that once I was open he would decide which I was happy with just to not be in pain anymore.

Once I was wheeled back to the ward I just wanted to get going and tried straight away to wee, but this took me around 3 hours to empty my bladder. The next evening I was able to stand up without any pain ( Don't forget that I haven't been able to stand for around 14 days by then). I got walking straight away using crutches which was hard at first because I had lost a lot of mobility from my left leg but I was determined to get going. I had the operation on the Wednesday afternoon and I walked out of the hospital using crutches on the Friday afternoon. I was still a bit sore but no sciatic pain. On the Sunday I was out all day walking around using the crutches which I paid for in the evening, I had done to much so it was pain killers and straight to bed. In the morning I was fine and just took it easy which I have been for 4 weeks now, I had to use both crutches for around 2.5 weeks than one for the rest of the week. I now walk with no crutches and walk fine with no pain. Because I was opened up to have fusion my lower back muscles where prized from my spinal so my recovery took a little longer than the Micro-discectomy.

Want I really want to say is be positive, I needed surgery there was no question of that. The hardest thing for me now is taking it easy because I just want to get back to the gym but I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I have changed my whole attitude to my herniated disc, my days of dead lifting and doing squats are OVER that is for sure. Once that disc comes out there isn't anything put in it place so be careful and listern to your body but be positive. I was told to not do anything for 6 weeks that includes driving, after 3 weeks I felt good to drive so everyone is different (still haven't driven though because of doctors orders). I have seen the physio who gave me some stretchs to do at home which help a lot so don't pay lip service to them do them even if you are out and about find some time, they don't take long. Mine are for tight hamstrings.

I am off the pain medication which I stopped completely which was a mistake because I couldn't sleep, after 3 days I was fine.

Keep moving it does help, stay positive. I do have a long way to go but so far so good and everyday I get a little bit better, I never want to feel sciatic pain again so I am doing want I am told.

I will update in another 2 weeks after I have seen my surgeon. But if you have had a positive experience please can you post it because there is a lot of doom and gloom out there.

7 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, I would agree completely.....people who have surgery and then recover and get on dont tend to be the people posting on sites so there is bound to be a concentration of negative, difficult stories out there. However, we are here because we are sharing the reality of it and the ups and downs and setbacks of it all which is so helpful.

The patches are lidocaine patches, not so sure that they go deep enough to the nerve however, I did feel yesterday that I was a bit easier and that nerve pain wasnt just as severe.

I don't know about yous but every day is different for me, some days the nerve pain is running right down my leg, other days its worse in my calf or my thigh, then other days its mostly in my lower back. I have a definate weakness now in my left leg, it never quite does what I want it to and find that i am a bit clumsy at times. I cant raise my big toe and dont have much strength in that either. I do still get really deep muscle spasms down my thigh usually when I first wake up or stand up however the Gabapentin and Baclofen have really reduced this pain. I think the worst for me is that I can't get back to work or plan ahead, its hard to keep good mental health when this is all going on and I can totally understand feeling depressed at times.

thanks again

Alison

• Posted

Hi Alison

If you are getting weakness in the leg then I would get yourself in for surgery. Motor function damage is different to pain. Worst case scenario, pain can be managed somewhat with medication. But there is no medication to restore motor function. If you are losing that then you must relieve the pressure on the nerve or it will get worse. And recovery of motor function takes ages. I am 6 months post op and my motor function in my calf is much better than before but still not back to full strength by any means. I can just about do a toe raise on my left foot now but only just. I still have a very small left calf (34cm round vs 38cm on the right). Also, the chances of recovery tend to correlate with how long the nerve was under pressure. Not in my case in that I had surgery 2 weeks after the paralysis set in. But that is what the literature I read said. Recovery of motor function only comes from the nerve healing, and they are veeeeery slow to heal once they have sustained damage.

And Lidocaine is a much smarter choice than fentanyl!

• Posted

Oh and yes, my pain does move around although it's most consistently in my lower back a few inches away from my spine alongside my scar. But it does go into my buttock and leg sometimes.

• Posted

Michael

Is the pain you mentioned nerve pain or surgical pain

Jim

• Posted

My surgical pain last about 2-3 weeks. I was off painkillers by then.

The new pain at 6 weeks was nerve pain probably plus some soft tissue inflammation to boot. The reason the nerve pain has been so long lasting is not something any doctor has given me a straight answer on because they don't know for sure. It's probably due to additional scar tissue that grew after I disturbed everything by doing too much exercise at the end of July. That's the working theory anyway. Scar tissue issues tend to come on in weeks 6-12 or do I have read. My diagnosis is complicated by the factor that my pain came on overnight which is not consistent with scar tissue, so it's possible I also slightly reherniated the disc as well, but not enough for it to be clear on the MRI.

• Posted

Cheers Michael you are a great help mate

Jim

• Edited

Welcome to the club Jim. My operation was 2 years ago and I am so glad I had it done. I wasted alot of money on chiropractors and sports masseurs when what I needed was an MRI.

I have formed habits of standing up wherever possible or working on my laptop lying on the bed.

You are only at 4 weeks so still take it easy or you'll be back under the knife.  The nerve repairs at 1mm per day so you will still get tingling from time to time.

• Posted

Cheers Anglosaxon1

How was your recovery?

How long did it take you to get back to normal?

Do you have anymore pain?

Thank you so much for your reply, I have been quite strict with myself with stretching, walking and using ice packs. I have decided to take the full 3 months off work and the gym just to make sure I give myself the best chance. I know not everyone can take that much time off work but I have quite a strenuous job and I just carried on with a disc bulge thinking I would be fine until it ruptured (lesson learnt now) If I worked in a office I feel ready to go back now.

The hardest part for me was coming to terms that I need to take it easy for a while.

Hope this helps anyone

Jim

• Edited

Just a little update from my recovery and still doing great. I am 9 weeks from the date of my surgery and still taking it easy. I have no pain other than very slight lower back muscular pain from time to time but this is because I have started swimming again which I do three times a week. I can finally do some exercise which is great, I have started of with 20 lengths now I am on 30 and I feel much better in myself because I can do some exercise. I know that I am taking it easy because I feel that I could do more but have to tell myself to slow down. The recovery does seem a long road but is worth it in the end if done right.

I have not been in the gym yet and I will give it 4 months after surgery before I start back slowly in there, but I am really looking forward to that day.

I have been doing hydrotherapy with the NHS which has been great and I have carried on these exercises in the pool when I go swimming. I do get some funny looks when I am lunging in the pool but it is all worth it.

When I saw the surgeon last week he was happy but reaffirmed the fact to take it easy still.

When I came out of surgery and was pain free I was rearing to get back to work and the gym but I have really chilled out about that fact now and I am listening to my body.

If someone is reading this is like me, goes to the gym 5-6 times a week weight lifting with tight hamstrings and not stretching, please do now. I would run along the road with a 35kg rucksack for 8 miles and not stretch before or after. I was very active and I will get back to it but I know these first few months are crucial, so take it easy.

Overall still doing great but a little wiser

Jim

• Posted

I've been reading everyone's replies and it's great to read real stories, still scary though. I had read that back pain will not go away after discectomy - only sciatica. It worries me. You say your back pain is improving?

• Posted

Just a little update from my open discectomy that I had on the 7th December 2016.

I am back to work on restricted duties on Tuesday which will be 3 months from the date of surgery. I feel great, still haven't been to the gym yet but I have decided to start using TRX which is just lifting your own body weight when I go back next month.

I have been swimming 4-5 times a week now, I swim 64 lengths which is one mile and stretch my hamstrings after every 10 lengths, then I do another 64 lengths without stopping and still feel good after. I occasionally have a very slight dull pain in the side of my left leg where I got the sciatic pain but this is not painfully and I believe it to be my nerve healing.

I never get the pain after swimming and feel great that I can do some exercise.

I am seeing my surgeon at the end of April and by then I am hoping to be back at work full time doing my job as I feel ready now.

Remember keep positive just because you have had surgery doesn't mean that you have to sign your life away. I feel so much better because I have had the surgery.

• Posted

Hi Jim

Been reading these comments with interest as I search the internet for anything remotely positive in terms of surgery!

I have herniated disc at L5/S1 with nerve being pressed causing (at times) pretty severe left leg pain. I've had this since Oct 2016 and did it in the gym. I've had two epidurals so far which I believe have helped but do wear off. My consultant wants to operate and do a microdiscectomy but for me things don't seem as bad as they do for others so not sure it's right thing. I'm a triathlete but currently can't run or cycle but have recently got back swimming again which helps. I can swim a mile a day with little pain. I haven't taken any pain relief for c3 weeks since last epidural but do take diclofenic and ice regularly.

The biggest impact I have is with sitting..pain is hideous if I sit for longer than say 30 mins max and even at 5 mins I'm hobbling about until I can straighten up again (which I do after about 5 mins or so). Currently I am working from home as commute to London is too uncomfortable. I've had to cancel cycling holidays with husband and friends as cannot ride. Can't travel in car longer than about 30 mins. Can't go to gym. BUT..i don't take pain relief..i sleep fine...i can swim a mile a day...can walk. That to me suggests I probably shouldn't be considering surgery yet even though surgeon thinks I should given the sitting issues. Can still feel pain in leg but I'm kind of used to it now so doesn't impact so much unless it's in morning when I need to stretch out a bit or if I've sat.

Any thoughts? Maybe not sitting is my new normal! I just want to be able to ride my bike with my husband and club mates and do an ironman one day maybe...swim the channel! But maybe thats asking too much and I should be satisfied with what I can do which sounds alot better than most with this injury?

• Posted

Afternoon Jo

I was the in same boat, it was really uncomfortable to sit down and I had to keep moving. I spent a lot of money in an attempt to overcome the herniated disc but because I was always so active it would never get better. My disc just gave up and I couldn't walk or stand up for 3 weeks so my operation was a no brainier, but I am so glad that I have had it done as I have never felt better. I still stretch twice a day and do yoga in the evening for 15 minutes. I have had to make life style choices like I do not dead lift and squat in the gym anymore, I can physically still do it but I do not want to disc to pop out again. I still run, swim and cycle with no pain at all. I have had no sciatic pain at all since my operation and back to full duties at work. I am a lot more flexible now due to the yoga and stretching. If you can't live the life you want too then I would say the discectomy is worth doing because It has changed my life for the better. Some people might read the post and say 'well just don't run,swim it cycle anymore' but you seem like me and training is not just part of me it is part of who I am and I need to train and push the physical limits. You can get back to it as I am living proof. I only have good things to say about the operation.

Hope this helps mate

• Posted

Hi Jim

Thank you for posting your update, great to hear how well you are doing. For me reading this has come at the right time, as I am just waiting on date for my laminectomy and discectomy surgery (have been off work 6 months now) and my focus is on steady recovery after surgery to allow me to get back to full time work with phased return. So to hear that you are about to do so after 3 months (which in my head was the realistic timescale I had thought for me) is so encouraging to hear.

I hope you continue to keep making progress, swimming sounds great, I can't wait. Please post an update on how your phased return to work goes, did you have an occupational health assessment from work?

With kind thanks

• Posted

Evening

I have been speaking with OH over the phone and they are happy with what I have been relaying what the surgeon said. Most OH's know what a discectomy entails and the recovery period. I am back in a office based role for 4 hours,6,8 then finally 12 which is my normal shift hours. I need to do a functioning test before I am allowed back to full duties which involves a bleep test to level 9.4 and some bending and stretching but I will be fine.

I am still sticking to my hamstrings stretches 3 times a day for around 8 minutes and I do basic Pilates for 10 minutes 3 times a day to strengthen my core which I have found very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.