L4 L5 Decompression Discectomy Success Story

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi, I am writing this post in response to the hundreds of horror stories that I have read on these many forums. I am a 36 year old mate who had a L4 L5 decompression discectomy 4 weeks to the day.

A bit about me then, as I said I am a 36 year old male, 6 foot 2 and althletic build. I have served in the British Army in both Commando and Airborne sqaurdrons. I am now a Police Officer and have been for ten years now and work on the firearms teams. The reason I had a herniated disc was that I always pushed my body to the limits and just took pain killers when my lower back hurt. I can recall back to 2005 when I was blown up in Iraq to my back problems. I would just push through the pain still squatting and doing dead lifts even though my hamstrings where tight through my running i just wouldn't give in.

That is until last summer 2015, I picked up a sofa at work whilst wearing all my kit (body armour, pistol and magazines strapped to my legs). I should of asked for some help but being a stubborn man who could do anything physical of course I wasn't going to ask for help. As soon as I lifted it I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring in my left leg but I thought nothing of it as I have always suffered with some form of back or leg pain. After approximately 1 week the pain was even worse but I could still walk and complete my day to day tasks. I paid for physio and sport massages which seemed to help and I was back in the gym thinking everything was ok, just carrying on. I had sciatic pain constantly for approximately 4 months at degreeing levels until November 2016. Carried on as normal until a hard day at work and a chest infection, I have always been very guarded on how I cough and sneeze because of my herniated disc, it would hurt like hell if I wasn't careful. Went to bed and fell into a deep sleep, that was until a coughing fit in the middle of the night. As soon as I had finished I knew my back had gone but I thought it would get better, I laid in bed for 4 days on just my right hand side because that was the only position that didn't hurt. I couldn't stand up without having to dive back on the bed in such agony. I had to go to the toilet in a bottle because I just couldn't stand up.

After 4 days of this I had to phone for an ambulance because it was just getting worse and the GP would not come to me because I was not an emergency, yeah I know not been able to stand for 4 days is not an emergency. To get into the ambulance I had to slide off the bed on my right hand side and the same down the stairs and onto the bed at the bottom of the stairs. Got to hospital where I was given Co-codomol, tramadol and diazepam but still had the pain so I was given a bed.

Had a MRI scan after 7 days in hospital where it was found that I had herniated my L4 L5 disc so much that most of the disc was hanging out. I was told by the surgeon that surgery was the only way which I knew myself anyway because of the pain. I welcomed the surgery because physio, pain killers and sport massages would never of fixed my herniation. As you look through these forums you will read that some people think that dancing around a tree and rubbing cream on your back will solve the problem, a bulge can go back with the above help but an herniated disc even if the pain is under control will not go away once it has poured out, it doesn't miraculously go back. You can look through all the websites and there is very little evidence that a herniated disc will go back to normal but a bulge yes.

When I woke up from the operation I had no sciatic pain at all, the only pain I had was from the surgery. The surgeon was unsure if I needed a fusion but said that once I was open he would decide which I was happy with just to not be in pain anymore.

Once I was wheeled back to the ward I just wanted to get going and tried straight away to wee, but this took me around 3 hours to empty my bladder. The next evening I was able to stand up without any pain ( Don't forget that I haven't been able to stand for around 14 days by then). I got walking straight away using crutches which was hard at first because I had lost a lot of mobility from my left leg but I was determined to get going. I had the operation on the Wednesday afternoon and I walked out of the hospital using crutches on the Friday afternoon. I was still a bit sore but no sciatic pain. On the Sunday I was out all day walking around using the crutches which I paid for in the evening, I had done to much so it was pain killers and straight to bed. In the morning I was fine and just took it easy which I have been for 4 weeks now, I had to use both crutches for around 2.5 weeks than one for the rest of the week. I now walk with no crutches and walk fine with no pain. Because I was opened up to have fusion my lower back muscles where prized from my spinal so my recovery took a little longer than the Micro-discectomy.

Want I really want to say is be positive, I needed surgery there was no question of that. The hardest thing for me now is taking it easy because I just want to get back to the gym but I know Rome wasn't built in a day. I have changed my whole attitude to my herniated disc, my days of dead lifting and doing squats are OVER that is for sure. Once that disc comes out there isn't anything put in it place so be careful and listern to your body but be positive. I was told to not do anything for 6 weeks that includes driving, after 3 weeks I felt good to drive so everyone is different (still haven't driven though because of doctors orders). I have seen the physio who gave me some stretchs to do at home which help a lot so don't pay lip service to them do them even if you are out and about find some time, they don't take long. Mine are for tight hamstrings.

I am off the pain medication which I stopped completely which was a mistake because I couldn't sleep, after 3 days I was fine.

Keep moving it does help, stay positive. I do have a long way to go but so far so good and everyday I get a little bit better, I never want to feel sciatic pain again so I am doing want I am told.

I will update in another 2 weeks after I have seen my surgeon. But if you have had a positive experience please can you post it because there is a lot of doom and gloom out there.

7 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey from Canada. Share the same profession as you. Any update?

I'm 6.5 weeks post operation.

I have some lingering nerve pain but I'm thinking it's just because the L5-S1 nerve was flattened.

I find that I get sciatic pain with the Straight Leg Raise. Did you do this? Did you get pain when doing this? If so, how long post-surgery?

Cheers,

Tommy

• Posted

Hi Jim, your story put tears in my eyes. I 100% feel you. I am pro hockey player in minor leagues system and all my life I’ve been pushing more than anyone else to make it to the next level and I was on the way. Every year just much better than the previews one. Hard ice practice in the early am, gym right after for 3+hrs, crossfit for 3 more hrs after that and yoga at night. That was my mon-fri. 

Back in August 2017 when I was getting ready for the season just felt down on the ice form some pain in my lower back shooting down to my left hip. Just like you I though eeeh one of those. But there was more one of those during the season...and then turned in to a daily thing. Played through it until I couldn’t. 

... finally earning a captain position on a team and putting up some points (even with all the pain) ...3 months before the season was done ...I was done. 

L4,L5 herniated closing the nerves on my left side completely. You know how that feels. 

Now I’m stuck and don’t know what direction to choose. 

I’m looking into decompression + stem cells or surgery or this laser surgery 

What do you think? 

Looking forward to your answer. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hey thanks for sharing your story. I deliberately typed into Google 'success stories discectomy' because I'm freaking alot these days... my story goes back a long way. I wish I wasn't so stupid but I must stop beating myself up now. Started about eight years ago when I started to get pain in my lower back. All the usual symptoms presented - darting butt cheek pain, thigh pain etc... The pain moved across my back and eventually down the front of my leg, which all my docs say they've never heard of. My upper body posture began to suffer too. I had had to wear orthotics for some years previous and from all my research (rolls eyes) decided my foot pain was due to a foot arch collapsing. I had so much pain and issues at this stage I didn't even know where to go.

Went to India to a body aligning programme, twice..it helped straighten me out but the pain came back. I eventually got MRI last December and the disc is completely out. I don't fully understand it all and docs couldn't explain as they're Chinese (I'm in china). But in my heart I know I need the surgery. There's a big space where my disc should be. I'm beating myself up for never taking painkillers or anti inflammatory tablets in 8 years - it prob made it worse. Last year my colon blocked and I now know why...the nerves in my stomach are affecting proper digestion. I could go to toilet only once a week for months.

I'm scared to have this (not least because I'll need to have it in a Chinese hospital) but what if I need fusion.. It all feels like a nightmare. I'm here in China alone and it's hard. Friends in India tell me to get holistic healing. I appreciate it but this is purely a physical problem. It just can't be fixed.

• Posted

Hey thanks for sharing your story. I deliberately typed into Google 'success stories discectomy' because I'm freaking alot these days... my story goes back a long way. I wish I wasn't so stupid but I must stop beating myself up now. Started about eight years ago when I started to get pain in my lower back. All the usual symptoms presented - darting butt cheek pain, thigh pain etc... The pain moved across my back and eventually down the front of my leg, which all my docs say they've never heard of. My upper body posture began to suffer too. I had had to wear orthotics for some years previous and from all my research (rolls eyes) decided my foot pain was due to a foot arch collapsing. I had so much pain and issues at this stage I didn't even know where to go.

Went to India to a body aligning programme, twice..it helped straighten me out but the pain came back. I eventually got MRI last December and the disc is completely out. I don't fully understand it all and docs couldn't explain as they're Chinese (I'm in china). But in my heart I know I need the surgery. There's a big space where my disc should be. I'm beating myself up for never taking painkillers or anti inflammatory tablets in 8 years - it prob made it worse. Last year my colon blocked and I now know why...the nerves in my stomach are affecting proper digestion. I could go to toilet only once a week for months.

I'm scared to have this (not least because I'll need to have it in a Chinese hospital) but what if I need fusion.. It all feels like a nightmare. I'm here in China alone and it's hard. Friends in India tell me to get holistic healing. I appreciate it but this is purely a physical problem. It just can't be fixed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.