Labia Minora Shrinking!!

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hi Ladies

I have never used clob and have managed my itching, soreness and lesions with natural things. Olive oil or coconut oil to keep things moist and a little dab of tea tree directly onto the itch which for me is at the top of my left labia majora just on the inside edge. This is where my white patches are plus a few slightly raised what I think must be hair follicle spots. ( waiting for a dermatologist ref to come through re this). What is concerning me is that in the last couple of months my labia Minora has noticeably shrunk and my clit has also shrunk! I have no fusing and can still have sex with no pain. ( long may this continue). Does clob prevent shrinkage or will it happen regardless. I was diagnosed 2 years ago. Maybe I've been lucky up to now and LS is starting to enforce her true colours on me now. I don't want to use clob but if this is a preventative measure then perhaps I should. I don't have any LS symptoms other than shrinkage at present other than on my labia majora. I am 55yrs so maybe this could also be atrophy from menopause? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank ladies.

1 like, 134 replies

134 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there. What you see as shrinkage is the outer labia fusing to the inner labia just looks as if the valley between is not as deep also near the clit the front labia begin to join at the top edge. This is the very beginning of fusing. It happens very slowly and if you were not examining down there you wouldn't know about it.

I suggest that you find the link on this website for Professor Goldsteins lecture it will help your understanding. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Nettie- I have been reading Kournal articles anout atrophy and lavoal

Fising and yhere are so many questions that Dr. Do NOT have the answers to. Mthe first article said that treatment usinf steroids can halt the progress of atrophy and fusing, but what’s gone is gone. 

2nd arricle said “ Topical ultrapotent steroid is an effective treatment for vulvar lichen sclerosus, giving relief of symptoms in most and completely reversing the skin changes in approximately one fifth of patients.”

“ completely reversing? “- maybe in terms of fusing, but once labia have shrunk, disintegrated, re- absorbed, disappeared, whatever you call it, I don’t imagine them re- generating....

• Posted

Sorry for all the misspellings, rapidly  texting on my tiny smartphone! 😜🙄

• Posted

I agree! Once it's gone...for me and at my age I believe it's natural to have some depletion and loss of the once plump bits. If you are able to find relief from inflammation then your a step ahead. 😃

• Posted

Hi all of you, what a discussion! I can relate to every single one of you! I’m 48 with diagnosed LS for 15+ years. My anatomy down there, rain or shine, stress or no stress, steroid cream or not, hasnt seemed to care and continues to change over the years. It’s only once the progression of LS got really advanced ( Pearly white skineverywhere, fusing over the top and sides, slightly shiny, dry skin,  everything flattening out and disappearing on me, occasionally itching and easily breakable skin) that I found this group!  for those of us who are more advanced, I believe we can help slow down the condition and in some cases reverse some of the symptoms.  And for those who are recently diagnosed or have just started early stages, there is a great deal you can do to put the condition into remission. For me, clobetasol kept the white and itching at bay for years in my early 30s,  but has stopped working as it is the strongest steroid cream on the market and you can’t get any stronger, thus I am  now only using it about once a month, when in desperation, as an experiment with the hope that it does something. I personally do not believe it helps slow down atrophy/shrinkage, nor does it any longer return the skin to flesh tone, but for some I believe it works quite well  but only if used in very small doses and very cautiously, and don’t forget to wash your hands if you do use them. Based on our different DNA and environmental reasons, we are all here with different experiences and different reactions to different ingredients and products. As for the atrophy, yes this is a part of the condition and all we can do is everything we possibly can to wholesomely take care of our bodies and our mental state  to put the condition into remission and stop or slow down the atrophy.  I truly believe that diet (no sugar or most diary, natural ingredients like essential oils and carrier oils, low humidity down there, vitamins like D3, magnesium, A,B, zinc and using pH balancers like borax and bicarbonate or baking soda) - really help.  Some people believe that atrophy is temporary and can be reversed with estrogen cream or Hydrating oils, I refuse to believe that we’re stuck with this and there’s nothing we can do. I believe there is a lot we can do. Hang in there and stay in this group with us!
    • Posted

Hi Lynn, Nettie, and all,

Just wanted to check in with my results.  I'm 68 years old, my labia had shrunk and fused, I had scarring and white sections, and intense itching.  I've reversed it all (over the last 2 years) with baking soda baths; spraying on a light solution of baking soda and water after every trip to the bathroom; applying emu or coconut oil daily; and applying a saturated solution of Borax twice a day. I highly recommend you read the thread, An Experiment with Borax, especially from the beginning.  I've seen posts on here where people have altered the amount of Borax, making it way too strong, so it's no surprise that some may have had a negative experience. 

My doctor was amazed and pleased to see my recovery and told me to keep up with what I'm doing.  He was also pleased that I did this the natural way since steroids can bring problems of their own.

So I'm telling you this because of my age.  You don't have to assume getting older brings these changes.  With time and diligence and patience, you can see an improvement.  I'm not the only one who has reported success with these natural treatments, so take heart, and don't give up.

• Posted

Thx Anna- you hv given alot of us hope! ❤️❤️
    • Posted

Anna777, YAY!!!!! thank you for the story and the hope. Im thrilled. Going to read the article now. 
    • Posted

Hi Ana, nobody is saying that it is not possible to unfuse, the thrust of the conversation was that fusing does occur (often in later life).

And so I am glad you managed to unfuse your undercarriage because many of us have found ourselves to be in a similar position (I suspect it happens after the menopause) of course it is beyond our control to stop the fusing occurring but it is fantastic to hear that with hard work and perseverance you can sometimes unfuse.  

• Posted

Hi ladies. Thank you for all your input. As I guessed despite currently going through menopause I do think there is a combination here of meno and LS. Not tried any of the bicarb or borax yet, not sure if you can get borax here in the UK? I have never used clob not even for the maintenance. Just don't want to. My gut feeling was that clob wouldn't stop shrinkage and some of you share my sentiment re this. Think I will use the bicarb spray and cut out what dairy I have, don't have that much as dont like milk based products. Dont eat many sweet things so that can go. Maybe I can slow this down. Fingers crossed. Thank you all of you. I read about Tumeric oil being good for things. Have Tumeric powder in the cupboard. Mixed a bit with coconut oil and applied over a sore area pretty much instant relief! Bit messy and you smell a bit like an Indian takeaway but it worked :-) dark knickers needed here as does stain a little lol! Good luck to all you lovely ladies. X

• Posted

Nettie62, definitely go to a health food or vitamin store and buy %100 sodium bicarbonate (as you call it bicarb). its working for me and I haven't even gotten a hold of borax yet!!I use it about 6 times a day (thats how often i pee), just remember it needs to be concentrated, dont forget to shake well before applying and don't be surprised if the little spray bottle is lame and some of the solution gets everywhere because it doesn't spray properly. and if you're feeling adventurous, add a couple of drops of tea tree oil (makes everything feel clean and sparkly down there). Ive been using an essential oil and carrier oil mix about 4x per day, aloe vera gel alone and the bicarb multiple times daily, after adding the bicarb habit about 10 days ago, my white area is slowly disappearing and going back to the natural color. Im happy! and hope this works for you, until you get a hold of your turmeric/aloe. 

• Posted

Omg! “ smelled a bit like Indian takeaway”- I almost peed myself I laughed so hard! Thanks for the bit of levity Nettie! 
  • Posted

Hello Nettie,

I am 56 and I have also noticed shrinkage of my clitoris and like you no fusing, also still have sex.

First diagnosed April this year in the UK and told to use Betnovate and Vaseline and get on with it.

This site saved my sanity, Lovely Ladies and great advice. Especially Nancy and Guppy.

I have tried lots of different things ,some with not great success as some made me very sore indeed.

As we are all aware LS seems to play cat and mouse with us all and is individual.

To date most success is less baths and when I do I use Bicarb and lavender essential oil.

Spray after peeing again a spritz of Lavender and bicarb.

Wash still in Derm 500 or use aqueous cream no soap ever or even feminine hygiene washes as they are a killer.

I also now live in Spain and  have purchased SYNALAR over the counter and this has been so beneficial to me.

Cotton knickers and commando as much as I can, I also use a soft muslin cloth to pat dry after washing.

Diet contains no dairy and sugar is at a bare minimum as that is working progress. No alcohol and plenty of fresh food nothing pre cooked and packaged that are full of hidden additives.

I take magnesium, zinc, vitamin B and D.

I am on low dosage oestrogen but looking for a natural alternative out here and high dose antihistamine due to asthma and hay fever.

more recently I have added honey, Bee Pollen and propolis.

I seem to be improving slowly , but I take nothing for granted with LS and treat it with caution now as like yourself and most other ladies I want to not let it be who I am but learn to adapt to it,

Hope this helps good luck xx

• Posted

Hey there Susan,  happy weekend to you.  Depending on how much D3 you are taking be sure to triple that amount of Vitamin A to balance them both.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.