Labrynthectomy, dizziness and noise irritation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had the labeynthectomy and has it resolved the dizziness and what about noise irritation and eduction or reduction in tinnitus

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Bluesman,

I have had a Labyrinthectomy on 12/13/16 so am still in the post-op stage. My surgeon said it would get worse before it got better and he was right. The first two months were a nightmare, with the vertigo and dizziness continuing, or even getting worse. I have had to use a walker 100% of the time. However, in the last two weeks, I have had successive days with no dizziness. Same with the tinnitus. It comes back, but only rarely. I am now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck as you make your decision.

• Posted

Wow : can I ask how long had you suffered before you decided on the surgery?

I'm 51, UK based and struggling. Meds have stopped working - had grommet fitted which helped I think

Had a month of daily episodes of dizziness - sickness and generally wanting to give up on life.

Not sure if my options - would you recommend it. Not sure if other options?

Jacki

• Posted

I haven't completely decided yet but I am sick of getting busy here and there seems to be more often than not so that's why am trying to find out if that eliminates the disease as well as any irritation from noise which I also have

• Posted

So as I understand the hearing is gone but you still have some tinnitus?good luck to you
    • Posted

Jacki,

I suffered from Meniere's for about 15 years and the tinnitus alone, 24 hrs a day and very loud, was literally driving me insane. The vertigo and dizziness was for about 5 years. Good luck on your decision.

Barry

• Posted

awesome Barry.....the operation does take the hearing out im told......what a crazy thing we all have to deal with.....
    • Posted

The operation does take the hearing out. But, next month I'm getting fitted with a special hearing aid that works in a special way to amplify the hearing.

• Posted

so with that we can actually have some hearing in the ear that was operated on?
    • Posted

It's more like a wireless hearing aid in both ears. You will pick up the sound on the deaf side in the microphone and it wirelessly gets sent to the good ear. It's not a perfect solution, but does give some semblance of hearing back. I was fitted for the hearing aids the other day. They are so tiny they are almost invisible.

• Posted

Wow I like tjst idea as I can't hear people tontje left of me and it's not a cochlear implant?

• Posted

I can't hear on the right side...so I'm looking forward to it. I get them on 4/14. I'll update then.

• Posted

Sounds awesome i had wondered if they made anything like that......thanks for all your input and please let me know id like to get fitted with that.....what are they called?....and is it like a micrphone on your  right side transmitting into a hearing aid in your left ear then?....it would be awesome to not have to turn 180 degrees everytine i hear someone talking on the bad side...
    • Posted

You nailed it...it's a microphone that wirelessly transmits from the bad ear to the good ear. Don't know what they're called. When I get them, I'll take a photo and post it.

• Posted

This all sounds amazing - can I ask what country you are in pls - not sure if this is available in U.K.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.