Labrynthectomy, dizziness and noise irritation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had the labeynthectomy and has it resolved the dizziness and what about noise irritation and eduction or reduction in tinnitus

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I had not heard of anything like this and looked it up a bit.

Barry  -  If you google "contralateral routing of signal" , without the quotes, does that sound like the thing you are getting?

If it is, then in answer to Jackie's question it should be available in Britain. If you google the same thing and add NHS you should find it.

I am assuming that it doesn't help with the lack of directionality that you get with one sided deafness but means, as bluesman, says that you don't have to keep turning around or having that awkward thing of asking people to come round to your other side.

Sorry I can't post a link to the sites but hope this helps.

• Posted

Jacki

Sorry I made a mistake. Cros/ bicross hearing aids are available in the UK, but I think you can only get the private aids if you pay privately.

• Posted

Misti,

What you're talking about sounds just like what I'm getting. I don't know about public availability as I am getting mine through the U.S. Veterans Administration.

• Posted

So Barry,

Ive read your posts...after the operation you said the Doc said it would be worse...was it constant vertigo all day everyday and what time frame has it taken to get some dizzy free days?..also what does your bad ear feel like now?   Is it a weird feeling? pressure still?...LEt me know as i am 99 percent going to get this done.  How bad was it right after the operation?

• Posted

Blue,

Right after the surgery, I was pretty dizzy. But I only had 4 episodes of vertigo - 2 in January and 2 in February. About two weeks ago I had two non-dizzy days in a row. I have been very dizzy almost constantly since last thursday. I took a very hot shower and some water may have gotten in my ear. I go for my 3 month f/up on Wednesday and I'm going to ask the surgeon about it. As to my ear, that alone was worth the surgery. Before, I had very loud ringing 24 hrs a day that was literally driving me insane. Now I get tinnitus only very infrequently and it is mild. I would choose the surgery again in a heartbeat.

Good luck Blue,

Barry

• Posted

Thanks I mainly have sensitivity to certain noises or frequencies and all of a sudden dizziness coming back more and more often I had went about three years dizzy free after that first crazy time of full blown vertigo I want to do it to get rid of the dizzies and the irritating certain sounds
  • Posted

Hi Bluesman, I am dispute to get rid of my dizziness! I had the endolymphatic sac procedure done 6years ago. For the past two weeks I have terrible dizziness and anzity! I feel like I am back where I started with this menieres disease! Would you recommend this surgery? How are you doing today? Any information you can give me will be appreciated greatly! I can't go anywhere or play with my grandkids! I am 65 years old,just to let you know. God Bless you! Mowmow

• Posted

I had a labyrinthectomy in June of this year. I regret having it. My balance is so much worse and my tinnitus is worse. The only 2 things different are that I'm now completely deaf in my bad ear and the vertigo attacks are gone. My head feels horrible. Noise still is very bothersome. This is a very personal decision. It happens to be one I regret, but I cannot undo it. Whatever your decision I wish you the best of luck. Everyone is different.

• Posted

Hi, Betty,

Hang on...you're only 2 months out. I too would have thought the surgery was a failure had nnot my surgeon told me things would get much worse before they got better. It is now 8 months since my surgery and I am amazed at how good I feel. Things WILL get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.