Ladies - I need your expertise. Swaying, Dizziness, Headaches

Posted , 10 users are following.

This forum is my life-saving therapy. I never had headaches until perimenopause. In May, I had my first period that spotted and last only one day. My headache was also the worst one ever - in fact, I had my first migraine with dizziness. The dizziness hasn't really gone away. It isn't horrible - there is just a constant swaying/off-balance feeling. I had my ears cleaned out -so its is not wax. The ENT just chalked it up to the migraine and said it will go away eventually. Three weeks past and PMS started along with another big headache. Dizziness was back stronger again.

I have done Epley Manuevers. I am taking motion sickness meds (tried bonine, dramamine and now homeopathic). I also started Butterbur to stave off the hormonal headaches which seem to be almost constant due to shortened periods, close together, ovulation etc. One dose of Butterbur did seem to knock it down. I will see how it does long term since I just started it.

Has anyone had this situation? Any other advice? I guess I really want to know will this pass once I make it to the other side - menopause. Is this just my body trying to handle the dips of hormones?

I suffer from IBS, IC, heart palpitations, etc so I am used to symptoms of peri. The dizziness feeling/off-balance is really making me crazy.

Thank you.

Jen

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, i have something similar, but mild dizziness, bad headaches, nausea, i was diagnosed after xrays with something called cervical spondylosis, hope ive spelt it right.

• Posted

I am so sorry. i hope that you have a treatment to help those symptoms. i recently had back scans and i only have degenerate disc issues.

• Edited

Hi,

I started to have dizziness 4 years ago during peri menopause. 4 years later post menopause at age 53, my dizziness is not getting better but got worse instead. From periodic episodes, I am experiencing it almost everyday. I feel off balance & the fear of passing out gives me added stress & anxiety.

Does anyone have any advice or remedy to share? i am taking cordeceps but it is not working as well as before. Will this go sway eventually. i am very scared. Cry myself to sleep every night asking God why me? Why do I suffer?

• Posted

Hi,

I started to have dizziness 4 years ago during peri menopause. 4 years later post menopause at age 53, my dizziness is not getting better but got worse instead. From periodic episodes, I am experiencing it almost everyday. I feel off balance & the fear of passing out gives me added stress & anxiety.

Does anyone have any advice or remedy to share? i am taking cordeceps but it is not working as well as before. Will this go sway eventually. i am very scared. Cry myself to sleep every night asking God why me? Why do I suffer?

• Edited

Hi Irene,

I feel your pain. My dizziness started after a migraine and hasn't let up. Did anything happen before it started? Such as a headache. Is there a pattern to your dizziness. Vestibular migraines are common in perimenopausal woman and you don't even need to have a headache to have it happening. I also read it could be related to our fluctuating hormones. I tried using Dramamine and Bonine OTC.

I have also found doing the Epley Manuever (you can find it on Youtube) and Vestibular exercises help. Do you find you are more dizzy moving around? Are you dizzy in bed too?

I am so tired of the dizziness too. It is consuming my life.

• Posted

I started getting debilitating menstrual migraines around 37/38. I had my first migraine aura at 43. The following year, I woke up and turned over and the room was spinning. I had vertigo for months. Now at 45, I have headaches, dizziness, and off balance feeling. Oh, and anxiety and panic attacks. I don't have any remedy or cures for you, but you are not alone. xo

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Staci! I am sorry you are suffering too. I think we both might have vestibular migraines as the headaches bring dizziness. I tried taking benedryl for the first time yesterday and that helped. I am also doing vestibular exercises three times a day (you can find them online. Lastly, you might want to look into butterbur which is a preventional medicine. I just started taking it. Make sure you buy butterbur that is PA free. Best of luck. Getting older sucks.

• Posted

Staci,

You are welcome! I will try anything to stop this dizziness. Good luck and I hope you find an answer.

Jen

• Posted

Hi, so I have had extreme dizziness since peri hit. It's been just over a year and 7 months and it's finally starting to calm down. Although, I did start taking an antidepressant within the last 5 months. With that being said. With you stating you suffer from IBS. I've recently been doing some reading on that. They say people with IBS frequently suffer from anxiety and depression, which can worsen symptoms. That's because the colon is in part controlled by the nervous system, which responds to stress. Along, with peri symptoms. I could see this being disastrous if you have both. As a young child I was lactose intolerant and due to that now. I think I may suffer from IBS occasionally too. I've starting suppositories the past 2 days, metamucil for fiber and I'm starting a colon cleanse soon which I heard helps a lot to rid your body of toxins. I do believe now there is a link and no lie. I've been feeling better in just the past couple days since starting the suppositories which I believe calm down the IBS and any colon issues. I feel like my dizziness and anxiety has lowered and I don't believe it's due to the med I'm taking since this just occurred the past couple days. Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there. I hope you feel better!!!

• Edited

Nothinfornothin,

You make an excellent point and I agree that it is all related. I do suffer from anxiety and between covid19 and my mom dying from cancer- I have been worse. I noticed I also have insomnia now. My IBS is impacted by my anxiety and usually probiotics work. Do you mind directing me to the type of suppository? I really feel like the closer I get to actual menopause, the symptoms are increasing in amount and frequency.

The benedryl has helped along with the butterbur for headaches -but something I am taking is making my IC flare. I can't win.

I am glad you are getting some relief - that many years of extreme dizziness is horrible.

Thank you for your response.

• Posted

Hi Jen, sorry about your mom. I lost my mom to cancer too in 2000 which I believe was tied to the HRT she was on at that time. 4 years on it and she became very ill with lung and liver cancer and cancer doesn't run in my family. I take Equate suppositories. You can pick them up at Walmart. I have read a lot about Evening Primrose too. It is very highly recommended for mood and general well-being. I just received a bottle and I'm going to try that. Many online have said it's worked more than any meds or herbs they have tried. Try Metamucil too. I've been feeling more energy since taking that. I really believe there is a link with IBS symptoms causing major anxiety, fatigue and depression and I think some of us are more sensitive to it. Especially during peri/meno. Diet very important too. I'm literally on chicken and vegetables only right now. I know for me sticking to just that helps when stressed. Sending hugs!!! Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear you lost your Mom. 😦. I am staying away from HRT as both my mom (adrenal) and Dad (prostate) both had hormonal-based cancers. My mom's cancer is so rare that only 200 people a year get it. I am trying my best to stay healthy (no bad habits and I have been a vegetarian for thirty years). I am leaning on natural supplements to cure my peri issues. I will definately look up evening primrose to see if it can help me. Please let me know how you make out on it. I keep hoping that once menopause is official, and my body gets used to life without hormones that I feel better.

Thanks again,

Jen

• Posted

Me too. Can't wait once meno is official but, I haven't even missed one cycle yet!! I will update you in a couple weeks regarding the Evening Primrose. It's 1300 mg's by Sports Research on Amazon. Seriously, since taking this morning my mood is lighter! I hope you look into it too. It is highly recommended for these issues. ❤️

• Posted

I just wanted to chime in real quick. I started prescription Antivert/Meclizine from my primary that treats vertigo, along with prednisone a steroid that also, treats vertigo. The prednisone gives me energy and keeps me up. It also, calms down inflammation. The Antivert/Meclizine can cause sleepiness but, with the combination of both they are balancing one another out. Many just on the Antivert/Meclizine take it at night before bed. I've found it's slowly helping with my dizziness and anxiety from it that my med was not working for but, my med causes dizziness too and I don't know if that side effect has worn off yet. Although, I had the dizziness for over a year before taking the med. It's been the first of some relief though and I think it was caused by my inner ear being hit hard by the fluctuating hormones due to peri. I purchased some Meclizine HCI off Amazon too and they work well. That's what I'm doing now. It's been very hard. The dizziness has me unable to function fully and I still have that slight sway when walking. I find sleeping too much does not help this. It's like waking up each day and it's ground hog day again dealing with this. I literally force myself some nights to stay up so, that I'm up more constantly moving. I'm trying my hardest to do whatever it takes to have this stop. It's really hell. Next step I'm heading to my primary to get my ears checked. Due to Covid I've been unable to and only able to get medication but, I'm thankful for that. I hope you find some relief soon. Everyone....xoxo to all.

• Posted

Hi ladies I too have the dizziness off balance four years now for me.. started at 45 now I'm 49 migraines do follow the dizziness after about 3 days of it , so could be the aura before the migraines, also its not uncommon to have all the dizziness off balance swaying with silent migraines, I also get the numbness everywhere.. nothing helps it , it always just runs its course then goes away and returns , that's been the pattern for four long years... wish we could choose our symptoms, I definitely would leave migraines and dizziness off the list..

• Posted

I am happy to hear you are getting some relief from the dizziness. I wouldnt' wish it on my worse enemy. I also saw a neurologist and he agreed that it was vestibulary migraines and I should keep doing the daily (three times a day) vestibular exercises. It does help center me and stop the swaying. Benedryl also helps when I am really dizzy (similar to your Meclizine). Best wishes. I also did have my ear wax cleaned out and that helped the fullness and pain.

I still blame the new migraines on perimenopause. So far I skipped a migraine during my last period using butterbur (make sure it is PA free). It stopped it before it got bad. I am due in a few days again and hoping for the best.

Take care and thanks for updating us.

• Posted

Gypsy014 - You sound like me as well. 😃 Have you tried vestibular exercises? How about taking Butterbur preventatively? I feel dizzy now on and off daily but exercises and meds keep me from crying and not being able to be productive. IT seems like another symptom I have to learn to live with.

• Posted

Hi Jen, I have not tried butterbar it sounds like a cake lol.. what is it? I will have to try the benedryl, u have not tried the vestibular exercises yet I thought those were fir when someone was in full spin.. which scares me that thats whats coming . I cry too I think before this all started for me I could count on one hand how many times ive cried in all my life, but now couldn't begin to say, peri / menopause is definitely NOT for the weak, its a very tough transition that has many symptoms repeatedly thrown at you ..

• Posted

i know. this is so hard to get used to with hormonal changes causing so many side effects. butterbur is a natural supplement. my neuro recommended it. you can get it online. just get PA free. vestibular exercises are if you feel off balance or are dizzy. i do about four sets a day to help. do you notice that you are more dizzy in the morning and or during PMS? I also have IC, OAB, IBS..so i have to be careful of taking new medication. i try to start slow with new supplements. its sad when you can list a bunch of abbreviated diseases all due to perimenopause. 😦. hang in there. sometimes a good cry helps. i get to a point where i just cant take it and melt down.

• Posted

yes there are so many things that I need to be careful with to or I will tock the boat , sensitivities are definitely heightened during this time.. I have ra and Hashimotos so I'm gluten free and on low histimine anti-inflammatory foods..doing some yoga and meditation trying to have some peace with my anxiety which has been high as of lately..I am more dizzy in the a.m. I had a hysterectomy when I was 27 but still have them ovaries and they definitely let me know when I'm ovulating..which for me is right in the middle of the month and end of month was always period time for me.. so for about a week both those times im a mess , the only thing bad for me is I can't keep a schedule of my periods skipping and winding down to be able to tell me I am almost done with this change..its so hard I wouldn't wish this on anyone...I had a doctors appointment yesterday with my new doc and its a guy and he's super nice and thorough I had many issues to address, but when came time to the menopause I asked him to check all my hormones and he asked do i have the hot flashes night sweats , as if that's all it is ha so much more to it than that.. then asked oh do i take all my frustration out on my husband like his wife did to him going thru her change, then he says yep your menopause then. and laughed , apparently his wife really pet him have it..but even though I don't think he gets it he's a man how could he, he was very nice and had no problems running all tests I requested, and much better than the other doc I had before him was a she older than I in her 50s so had to have been going thru something herself but nope didn't link anything to menopause was completely oblivious, and rude and talked under her breath saying that something wasn't her job to do when I asked for her to look something up on my chart in the computer.. if you can believe that one..these doctors I tell ya..

• Posted

Oh wow! I am so sorry you have multiple ailments to monitor. That is tough. I think we are our own best advocate and understand our health the best. I hope the new male doctor is able to help you as well. I also use a mobile app to track my periods, and ovulation. I am 48 and My periods have gone from 7 days (when I was 42) to now 2 days in length. In addition, I have spotting three days before and that is when I really feel cruddy as I know my hormones are dropping. I just told my husband I pray that menopause comes soon and some symptoms lessen.

I wish I could meet a fairy menopause godmother who would say,"Don't worry - you will eventually be fine one day". I read in the forum and some women say they do get better but it takes a few years to adjust after menopause. Others say that new issues develop. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.