lansoprazole stopped working now i feel ill

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 15mg lansoprazole once a day for years, then a couple of years ago I started getting the feeling that there was a lump moving up inside my chest to my throat then back down again... just as if you were going to burp, but it wouldn't come out. It was constant, just as the feeling went down my throat it would come back up again. My GP increased my dose to 30mg once a day, and things settled down. On the 31st August this year, i suffered the worst case of reflux during the night that i have ever had, acid burning through my stomach and up into my throat. I went back to my GP who again upped my dose to 30mg morning and 30mg at night, but this awful up and down feeling in my gullet persisted continually for a full 12 days, I stayed on a bland fat free diet, and yesterday for the first time felt much better. I celebrated with half a tiny peice of pork sasauge.... disaster !!!! felt so ill with reflux within half an hour of eating. I am now so scared and worried that I may have cancer or some other reason for this awful condidtion. WHY would lansoprazole suddenly stop working ? Today i feel awful, not hungry, burning stomach, feel sick and still have reflux... any advice please. thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sharon. First of all stop worrying I was in exactly the same position as you a while ago.  I was on ppis for years including lanzoprazole to mention just one, 2 yrs ago they stopped working. To cut a very long story short I was referred, I had many tests and was offered the LINX procedure a new operation only introduced from the states a couple of yrs ago

now I'm great so please don't worry you have cancer, you have gerd and reflux. You meed a gastroscopy first and foremost then take it from there, ots a long road but certainly worth the journey

• Posted

Thank you for your reply... that operation sounds like a good idea... this is no way to live, feeling so poorly.

I am back to the GP on Monday I will ask about this... again thank you x

• Posted

It's not widely known but the first step is referral and tests to get the ballrolling 
    • Posted

Please tell me what kind of surgery is LINX? I am also in the same situation and do not know what to do with reflux. It is getting worse and worse. I take omeprazol and tried other similar drugs but nothing helps. Dieting is great for stomach but does not help with reflux at all. I am thinking about surgery if it is possible. I have hoarse voice, caugh, clearing throat and  post nasal drip started last night. It all started very recently on the August 21 after spicy restaurant. I am getting desperate. 
    • Posted

Linx is where a magnetic. Titanium band is fixed around the aesoohogus and acts as a valve. It's totalky reversible and is done with keyhole surgery so not very intrusive its better than Nissen whicj is a very major op 

And not reversible 

There are not too many hospitals that do it. If yiy need any more info please inbox me 

• Posted

Hello Sharon

Please do not despair. Anxiety makes it worse. 

I am not a doctor but i do not think it is cancer. It seems that when you were on the bland diet all seems well. Keep on with the bland diet Sharon. 

I have stopped the PPI because it was making me very very tired and I have to work full time. 

I think our body is telling is we need to heal. I am taking aloe vera sipping it day and night. And I am starting manuka honey a little teaspoon day and night. 

Unlike you, I do not have burning. Just mucus 

Stuck in throat and blocked ears. So much so it 

Is giving me the dizzy spells... 

We fight through this Sharon 😄😄😄 don't despair. Some days I cry. Some days I just curl up

Into a ball ... 

• Posted

I just cant understand why the PPI stopped so suddenly when its worked for years, my mind is on overdrive. I will try the aloe vera and the honey.. here's hoping, thank you for your reply x
    • Posted

It's because your symptoms got worse and the meds can't cope with rhem 
    • Posted

Just ask away anyrhibg you need to know 
    • Posted

It started during my last pregnancy 25 years ago, then went away after my son was born... but came back a few years later. The lansoprazole gave me a new lease of life, I dont and never have eaten spicy foods, nor do I drink, so this has come out of the blue, and is driving me crazy. I am awaiting a gall badder scan, as those symptoms have been bothering me latley, and I know gall bladder and reflux are not connected... but the gerd is more troublesome than the gall bladder. I am going to ask for an endoscopy, but if Lansoprazole doesn't work what will x

• Posted

I've been taking PPI's for fourteen years. Each one was effective for some time and then lost its effect.

I started with Omeprazole (Losec), then Lansoprazole (Zoton) followed by Pantoprazole (Protium). When each ceased to be effective my symptoms worsened each time.

I then went back to Lansoprazile for a while before regressing and prescribed Esomeprazole (Nexium). That seems to be the one that suits me and I've been taking it for over eight years.   

• Posted

Sharon have you had an endoscopy ?

If you would like to chat I can send you my 

Email address but I am not sure how to do 

This privately. I figure it out 😄

• Posted

Hello Sharon. 

I have sent you a private message  I hope you get it if you want to chat. X.

• Posted

Sharon,

I had the same situation. I have been taking omeprazol for one and a half year. All was fine, never had reflux and then after one trip to a restaurant got all at once- feeling sick, pain all over my stomach, caughing at night, something was coming up to my throat. I put myself on a strict diet and in a week all symptoms became better but reflux getting worse and worse. I do not know how to live with that. Maybe you need to change medication and try something different? I am trying different medications but so far it is all the same. Yes, I have heard about surgery many times and it helps. 

We should look forward to it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.