lansoprazole stopped working now i feel ill

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I've been on 15mg lansoprazole once a day for years, then a couple of years ago I started getting the feeling that there was a lump moving up inside my chest to my throat then back down again... just as if you were going to burp, but it wouldn't come out. It was constant, just as the feeling went down my throat it would come back up again. My GP increased my dose to 30mg once a day, and things settled down. On the 31st August this year, i suffered the worst case of reflux during the night that i have ever had, acid burning through my stomach and up into my throat. I went back to my GP who again upped my dose to 30mg morning and 30mg at night, but this awful up and down feeling in my gullet persisted continually for a full 12 days, I stayed on a bland fat free diet, and yesterday for the first time felt much better. I celebrated with half a tiny peice of pork sasauge.... disaster !!!! felt so ill with reflux within half an hour of eating. I am now so scared and worried that I may have cancer or some other reason for this awful condidtion. WHY would lansoprazole suddenly stop working ? Today i feel awful, not hungry, burning stomach, feel sick and still have reflux... any advice please. thank you

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you been checked for Helicobacter PYlori infection? That can play havoc with you too.....I had the breath test and it showed negative but then had a stool test for it and came up positive....2 courses of the triple therapy and some herbs from the naturopath and I was fine.......I had been diagnosed with GERD and anxiety before that but the helicobacter causes those symptoms... IN Australia Healthscope Pathology does the stool test look up CDSA level 4 test
  • Posted

OH I should add David Hompes site on helicobacter is very informative too and he is in the UK....lovely man and answers emails and comments...very helpful and offered to help me long distance if I needed it...worth a try.

• Posted

Hi Sharon, sorry to hear about your problem. I have a similiar sort of problem. I was on meprozole for some time, but my doctor changed my med to esmeprozole 40mg once a day. Wow and what a difference. I have a severe problem apart from acid reflux. If you go to my posts you will see my problem. Anyway get your Dr to change to what I am taking it may help.
  • Posted

Since being diagnosed recently with eosophogitus I had no other symptoms other than swallowing difficulties. I have read loads of stuff to make sure I am informed so not to make errors in meds, food or drink. From what I can gather . When I come to the end of my months course of Lansoprizole I hope to  come off it slowly to allow the acids to slowly return. Then by eating  a fat free bland diet for a while is useful and possbly replacing bad acid with good acid like apple cider vinegar  and trying to re balance the guts good bacteria with pro biotics, liquorice and pepsin as had be recommended by others both here and on other sites,  and see how that goes . Whether it will work or not I cannot tell yet . But I think its worth a try . I will try and aquire the book by Jamie Kaufman called dropping acid.So allthese things worth a try. Good luck.
  • Posted

hi sharon

i realise this is a very old thread bur currently experiencing reflux after being on lansoprazole for 3 weeks, i thought it got better but am experiencing symptoms again. did yours improve?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.