Laparoscopic colectomy ???

Posted , 9 users are following.

This has been  the 4 th episode of diverticulitis since June 2016. For me I was diagnosed thru the ER. I was placed on Cipro and Flagyl for 10d . Each time I completed them and within 2 wks I was back in the Er and diverticulitis confirmed by CT scan. So another 14 days of antibiotics!  I am so nauseous during treatment!! I have lost 25 # since Dec. I feel the treatment is as bad as the disease. I have found sucking on doublemint gum takes care of the metallic taste. Can you tell me of success stories re surgery? I think I would like to be proactive. Also stress is definitely a trigger for me!

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I feel your pain, Katealso. I was dx first time Dec 21, 2017. I went to ER w severe abd pain. CT confirmed diverticulitis and rx Cipro and Flagyl. Colonoscopy followed 6 days later then immediate admission to hospital for IV antibiotics.

Went home a day later and things were or seemed fine until Feb 12. Pain returned. I went to my doc and he had me self-admit to the hospital where I remained for 4 more days of IV antibiotics and another CT. This is very frustrating. I work in healthcare. I just want to find an answer to this mystery disease. I now have an appt in April with a Gastroenterologist. I hope and pray there is an answer with him that my GS couldn't find. Until then, one day at a time plus a great probiotic.

• Posted

Would you mind sharing what antibiotics they had you on in hospital? 

I get so sick from the Flagyl and cipro!

The gastric and pcp recommend seeing a surgeon and have an appt Mar 8 th.  3 months is too much

• Posted

Hi. I had 18" of colon removed 9 years ago. I didn't have to have a stoma. Have been much better up until 3 weeks ago when I had my first bad flare up since. However , at the time of my surgery the dd was confined to that part of my colon, and now it is dotted all over, which means I wouldn't escape as lucky with further surgery so trying to avoid it at all costs.

• Posted

Hi Val,

How old were you when you had the surgery? Would you do it again? And were you strict with diet  and exercise since your surgery? That’s my fear that it would come back! Sorry you have to go through this again!

• Posted

Hi I was 56, and I don't regret the surgery as I had 9 years symptom free but I wouldn't like to have further surgery now as I don't think I'd get away without a colostomy again. I just try and eat sensibly and in moderation and take fybogel to avoid constipation which is my biggest enemy.

• Posted

I would be happy to. I take pics of EVERYTHING.

1. MetroniDazole 500mg

2. Piperacillin and Tazobactam 3.375 gr

piggybacked with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Inj (mini bag)

4. 0.9% Sodium Chloride Inj. 1000 mL.

I had it for 4 days via IV. Then they sent me home with the Cipro and Flagyl for another 2 weeks.

I feel so spacey and weak. No appetite. I pray that I'm ok til I see the new Gastro doc. I hate feeling like this.

• Posted

I agree about being spacey and weak and dizzy! I’ve said the treatment is bad as the disease! I hope you feel better soon! 

It’s depressing

• Posted

I was diagnosed with DD at 24 years old, I was stubborn and worked through the pain of a flare up. I didn't go to the ER until the 6th flare up , it had been hurting for 2 weeks and I came home and passed out in my living room floor. I stayed on a pretty strict diet and a year later it flared up again, another 6 days in the hospital. I had a colonoscopy done and it showed irreversible damage and a lot of scar tissue my ureter was fuzed to my sigmoid colon too. I tried to avoid surgery but just 3 months later it flared up again but was caught in time I wasn't hospitalized. I scheduled an appointment with a surgeon but it was 2 months out. It flared up again before my appointment time, I was hospitalized for 7 days and had a abscess. The surgeon came to me in the hospital and said he wanted the inflammation to go away before he done surgery, he gave me bactrim to take twice daily for 6 weeks after the standard cipro and flat until my surgery date. I did not want surgery, there can be many complications to it but I had no choice. They took out my entire sigmoid colon and part of my decending colon today, total of 16". My surgery was completed 14 hours ago, and I'm not going to lie I feel pretty rough. As far as pain goes its a fraction of what a flare up is.

• Posted

Sorry about the grammatical errors. I'm really not that bad at writing. I got this phone yesterday, its 12AM, and I did not proof read it at all. Its been a long day, I wish you all the best of luck.

• Posted

Wishing you a s0eedy recovery, but it takes a while you will have to be very careful and rest well when you return home x
    • Posted

I hope today is a better day!  This is why I would rather it be elective. To avoid the complication of an abscess or perforation.. During the flare I am all about the surgery. Then after the pain is better and I’m off the antibiotics a few days I’m not so sure! Big decision! Hats off to you for even responding! Was it done laparoscopic or open? Did you have a colostomy?  Keep us posted on your recovery!
    • Posted

It was done laparoscopicly, and I was lucky enough not to have a colostomy. So far its not to bad at all. I mean don't get me wrong I'm hurting but I'm use to pain,and its tolerable

• Posted

You sound great! And I bet a big relief!

Wishing you a complete and quick recovery.  I never thought I would look to have surgery but I’m so ready!

• Posted

I haven't drank anything in 32 hours. The last thing I drank was that colon prep stuff .I have 4 incisions with staples, a catheter, 12 wires hooked to my torso and I'm sore enough that I feel like I was ran over by a car. In not exactly sure of your situation but I would try to avoid surgery if possible. Have you tried making a food log and recording every time you reintroduce a food back into your diet? Steak made my stomach hurt so I haven't ate it in 2 years,but I can eat hamburgers. Tracking everything can help you get control of this. You could also try something like myfitnesspal to help you track macro nutrients and calories, as well as easy to track fiber intake. Tracking fiber is highly beneficial to us withnDD.

• Posted

Thank you Val. So it came back after 9 years? Im so worried this will happen to me. I'm very sorry to hear that. Didyou follow a good diet in the 9 good years you had? Did you watch your fibre intake? I feel like mine is going to come back bc it got bad enough to need surgery as young as I am. I'm probably going to eat mostly what I want too but eat a lot more fiber

• Posted

Hi . Yes I had 7 years with no symptoms at all but I still had trouble with ibs.then 2 years ago I started getting the niggly pains on my left side , and had more scans and tests , and was told that whereas it was once contained to one price of colon , it's now dotted all over. I've managed to cope with it until this latest flare up, and it's knocked me for six this time. As for diet, I have eaten mostly what I wanted but always with moderation and variation. I'm now slowly on the mend from this flare and have declined seeing my surgeon again as the longer I can cope without the surgery the better. Hope this helps and please contact me again if I can give you any more info 're the surgery.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Val, I may have already said this but I had irreversible scar tissue built up and had to have mine taken out yesterday and I'm 26. In trying to figure out how to never have another flare up. I do think the odds are against me since it was to point of having to have surgery, I'm afraid it will come back. I'm wondering if eating a lot of fibre will keep pressure levels down enough to keep them from forming?

• Posted

Hey how was your day? Did they let you have anything to drink yet? 
    • Posted

Yes this morning I was able to go on a clear liquid diet. I have drank tea, ate jello, and broth 3 times today. I have been drinking water in between and a Dr pepper. I'm really sore but its really not nearly as bad as a flare up. My biggest complaint is probably this dern catheter but it is supposed to come out in the morning. Thank you for asking.

• Posted

I’m surprised they didn’t take the catheter out yet! Did you have to have an ng tube? The one that goes down your nose into the stomach?

You are doing great! Keep up the good work. Have a peaceful night! Up walking the halls yet ?

• Posted

I walked around in the room a little 4 hours after surgery and I did walk up the hall today. I have a very high pain tolerance and the Drs and nurses seem amazed at how I am doing. I went to the bathroom earlier and I walked out and put my shoes on and I was standing up when my surgeon came in. He said wow what are you doing? I said I just went to the bathroom and was about to walk up the hall. He said it was pretty remarkable that I went to the bathroom, he said most people can't even pass gas for 3 or 4 days after surgery. So far my recovery is going great. I'm sure most recoveries are not this smooth but I still have a long way to go. Yea I still have a catheter and no I never had an ng tube. The surgeon said he thinks it would be best to leave the catheter in until in the morning to make good and sure my bladder is ready to function. He said he is sure it will be but he would feel better to wait until tomorrow, he said if we take it out now and it don't want to work right they would have to put it back and that's not good for anyone. So its understandable, they moved the catheter though and it helped a lot so that's not really to bad of a complaint either. Don't get me wrong I'm hurting pretty bad, but I was trying to explain it to my wife and this is the best I can come up with. If you're use to the pain of a broken leg the pain of a fractured finger isn't too bad.. Thanks again for talking with me katealso I'm bored and restless

• Posted

Hi Corey

You are coping amazingly - Superman category!!  I had to laugh at your broken leg/finger comparison.  I actually broke my knee and finger 6 weeks ago, and because I'm right handed, find the finger pain worse - just trying to get the #### brace on each time after a shower!  The knee is NO problem.  And I know what you mean about boredom - I'm stuck indoors alone 23 hours a day with just the TV and the Olympics.  At least team USA are winning medals.

• Posted

You are doing brilliantly. I had major bathroom problems directly after my surgery and for 3 or 4 weeks afterwards. Gas was a terrible problem .Hope your recovery is all upwards and onwards best of luck
    • Posted

I laughed at this last night! Went to bed early last night to watch the Olympics and my cable went out! So bored and tired of feeling awful.
    • Posted

I am so glad I joined this forum! I had my first attack April 2017-thought I was having a bad ovary attack, and after 3 days feeling worse and worse-finally went to my dr.  Never thought in 100 years it would be DV.  All my bloodwork was off the charts and scan showed DV with contained perforation-my good friend is my dr's nurse and called to tell me I HAD to get to the ER immediately!!  Well, being hardheaded as I am, I wouldn't go, didn't want some general surgeon messing me up!! Started the antibiotic and was SO SICK-didn't hit me until later, I was selsis, but not full blown Sep Shock. They got me into Colon surgeon within cpl weeks, switched meds, and suggested surgery because if my first attack being "complicated". Have had pain every since then, especially if I eat more than about 1/2 cup of ANY kind of food.  However, the surgery scares me to death. I've had health issues my whole life, but this surgery for some reason scares the heck out of me.  Mostly because I'm very impatient about recovery time.  But on the other hand, I haven't felt well at all for almost a year.  May 2016 had hysterectomy,  Nov 2016 had 4 broken ribs w collapsed lung-4 day hospital stay, and 5 mos later this. So think my body and mental status are SHOT!  Literally   Smh.   Do you ladies have any input or opinions?  I think about going ahead with the surgery, until I think about recovery and the thought of a colostomy!! Really wearing on my mind. I normally weigh 125 and petite-down to abt 110, with NO energy-which is NOT normal for me.  Would appreciate any input please and thank you 

• Posted

Hi Nicole

As your diverticulitis was 11 months ago, I would expect you to be a lot better by now, and able to eat a lot more than you are managing.  The pain does take time to subside, but after 10 months mine was down to the occasional stab, which I still get daily.  Also I can eat, although I am careful and avoid my particular triggers.  Does the pain come on every time you drink as well?  If not you may wish to consider meal replacement drinks which do have the essential vitamins and minerals added.  It might help your energy levels.  But you may wish to avoid something like this, because of the additives - some people do - but I found they helped me.  It might be worth asking about multi-vitamins and minerals, as a lack may be contributing to your tiredness.

Regarding surgery, I've found the USA does apply a "chop, chop" approach.  In the UK surgery is only carried out for emergencies, not on a preventative basis, which I think is what your surgeon suggested.  Here, in the UK if you are told you need surgery, you know you do.  There are many things to consider:  your age: your lack of recovery so far: your general health: the extent of the proposed surgery: the fact that if you take out the affected part, it can come back in other parts.  Depending on how much they plan to remove, you may be re-connected immediately with no need for for a stoma and bag.  Or the stoma and bag could just be temporary until you heal, then you can be re-connected.  The surgery could be keyhole, with a quicker recovery time.  I think you need to think very carefully, take advice from those that have had the surgery, and perhaps seek a 2nd surgical opinion.  I'm not a medical person and only someone qualified could answer the medical needs questions.

Patience is not my strong suit either but this is a disease where you have to be.  Having said that, 11 months is enough patience!  Best wishes, whatever you decide.

• Posted

Nicole it appears I looked over your post some how. That is some rough issues you have been having I hope all gets well soon. My recovery is going great, the only other person I personally know that had it went pretty bad. A few days after surgery her lung collapsed and they had to go in and figure out why, part of the time she was in medically induced coma but she was in Intensive care for 4 days. She is 65 and smoked since she was 12. My surgeon came in and told me that I'm recovering faster than anyone he has ever seen and I should go home today. My advice is to try all other options before surgery, try your best to avoid flare ups. This surgery can have many complications, and even if you don't have complications there's no guarantee that diverticulla will not come back somewhere else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.