Laparoscopic colectomy ???

Posted , 9 users are following.

This has been  the 4 th episode of diverticulitis since June 2016. For me I was diagnosed thru the ER. I was placed on Cipro and Flagyl for 10d . Each time I completed them and within 2 wks I was back in the Er and diverticulitis confirmed by CT scan. So another 14 days of antibiotics!  I am so nauseous during treatment!! I have lost 25 # since Dec. I feel the treatment is as bad as the disease. I have found sucking on doublemint gum takes care of the metallic taste. Can you tell me of success stories re surgery? I think I would like to be proactive. Also stress is definitely a trigger for me!

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. Sorry if it feels like I'm hijacking the OP's post. Yes my recovery is going well above the usual I believe. The catheter came out 3 hours ago and I have urinated twice, I have had 3 bowel movements and passed a lot of gas easily. I'm not forcing or pushing anything, I'm just letting everything get as close as it can to actually coming out then letting go. I hope someone doesn't read this and think their recovery can start this smoothly, I started my recovery expecting this worse pain with everything possible and I believe it has helped prepare me. Expect it to be a rough recovery and maybe once the recovery starts it will be easier then you imagined. My surgery was completed less than 48 hours ago, and I'm well above the normal recovery rate at this point. I just walked to the nourishment room they have in my hospital floor and got some ice water. I have had a great hospital staff and my lovely wife has been by my side the whole time. My surgeon told me this morning that in the morning I will start a low residue diet and after I eat breakfast and lunch will probably be released to go home, if I feel like I'm ready. I told him I do not want to rush anything and I will gladly stay until he is comfortable with me leaving.

• Posted

Somehow a post is missing from this morning! Glad you are doing so well You are an inspiration and I am hopeful for the same recovery down the road!
    • Posted

I hope your recovery can be just as good as mine. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it is not just a breeze, but I honestly feel like if you go into it thinking its going to be worse than a really bad flare up it will some what trick your mind and make things seem a lot easier. My grandmother had 6" taken out and she had problem after problem and she told me she would die before she went through it again. She had to have a polyp removed that they thought might have been cancerous. She was probably expecting the surgery to be like when her gallbladder was removed and then when it wasn't it overwhelmed her. Your mind is a powerful tool. There is no way to prove that and everyone is different but for me when I go into something and its not as bad as I expected it makes a huge difference, I am also extremely lucky that my body is responding good to the surgery. I hope you get to feeling better, I know how bad that cipro and flagyl is, its the only ones that would help my flare ups. Sometimes I would even have to get them through iv bc I would take them orally for a week and it would get worse. My surgeon put me on bactrim for 6 whole weeks to give my intestines time to heal with no flare ups before surgery. I wish all of you a good day

• Posted

Big day today! Hope you can tolerate the soft diet and get discharged! Keep in touch we all want to hear about your progress. You are a success story!
    • Posted

Thanks for checking in. I'm not the typical person that has this surgery, I'm 26 years old and a normal work week for me is 60 hours. Last week I worked 58 hours. My point is I'm young, strong, and healthy in every aspect but this one issue. Yes I am a success story as of right now but my surgeon said I have progressed faster than anyone he has seen and he specializes in intestinal surgeries. I'm leaving the hospital as we speak

• Posted

I rather think you may have to cut back your hours for a time until you're fully healed.  I'm always amazed at the hours USA people are expected to put in.  The EU Working Time Directive limits the working week in the EU to 48 hours.  And I think the UK laws offer far more protection and rights to the workers, including a minimum of 28 days leave.  I'd hate to be a worker in the USA!

• Posted

Well in the United States everything is outrageous price wise and it is really hard for the average person to make enough for a household. Most families have both spouses working, it is tough some times but what has worked for my family is I have always worked and my wife has took care of our kid. Now I work enough that my wife doesn't have to and she is in nursing school. There are labor laws in America, but I feel like they are better in the UK and Canada. I work for a great company and they guarantee 40 hours a week, they don't expect me to work like I do but most of the time they let me work over time as I need to. I have been in trouble a few times at work for working to much and they told me to watch the overtime. I have short term disability and have been cleared to leave work until April 2nd. I worked so much last week bc I was trying to get ahead of being out of work so long. My short term disability will not start paying me until I have been out 2 weeks

• Posted

Well they sound like better employers than most.  If you get paid overtime that's great.  In the UK most office workers don't get overtime - I certainly didn't.  We have the same problems here and our cost of living costs are much higher than yours.  Both partners normally have to work to pay the rent or mortgage, and these days most younger people can't afford a mortgage and many more still live at home.  Many of them have heavy education loans to repay as well.

I'm lucky as an inheritance enabled me to buy my house outright.  If you can afford it, do stay off until 2 April - your body will thank you for it long term and you can spend some quality time with your family.

• Posted

I do not know much about the economy over there but it seems similar. Our young people have lost their minds. The generation under mine are very disappointing to me. They feel like everything should be handed to them, they do not want to work, the only politics they care about is about race or sex. They live at home to but by choice. I fear for whats to come of my country in 10 years. Sorry about the political rant I'm sure its not welcome here, back to the task at hand. Katealso I wish you the very best of luck with DD and I hope you make the right decision for yourself when it comes to having the surgery or not. Thank everyone of you for putting me in your thoughts and prayers or sending me good vibes what ever it is you believe in. I wish you all the very best with DD

• Posted

Today has been the first day since 1/15 that I’m not deathly ill. I have been off the antibiotics now 6 days and still have the metal taste! I actually had fish for dinner! Thank you for your encouragement! I meet with the surgeon in 2 weeks and have many questions. I’m definitely not afraid of pain but do not want it to come back either. That’s the chance we take. I’ll let u know. I’m sure I’ll have questions for you too. Best of luck in your recovery!
  • Posted

I just hope people don't see my posts and think the recovery will be extremely easy for them. Instead I hope people that reads them will expect the worse with it and then it won't be as bad as they thought so it will be a nice surprise.

• Posted

Just checking in  to see how u are doing!

Bet you are happy to be home and in your own bed! Hope your Day was good! 

• Posted

Yea I'm good, I just ate some chicken fried rice from the local Japanese restaurant. I haven't slept in the bed yet, last night I stayed on the couch. My couch is electric and the foot rest comes up with the push of a button. The longer you hold it the further it leans back and it will almost lay you down. I thought it would be easier then getting out of the bed. Thank you for asking, how are you today?

• Posted

Actually today and yesterday were the best I felt in 2 months! I had oatmeal this morning and did ok! Thank god the nausea is almost gone. I still have the metal taste though. You must have an iron stomach! I’m so envious

So glad all this is in the rear view for you!

Funny how I’ve had 2 good days now I don’t think I need the surgery! But would have begged for surgery 2 weeks ago! Well I’ll see after I talk with the surgeon.

As always good luck and nice talking to you!

• Posted

Glad to hear you are doing good. I would honestly put off surgery as long as possible. I'm thinking the rice probably wasnt a good idea, I haven't went to the bathroom yet and I feel really bloated. Maybe its the combination of eating real food again and the hydrocodone. I'm going to stop taking the pain meds I guess. Take care.

• Posted

Well live and learn on what u can eat ! You are right the narcotics are constipating so the sooner u wean off the better. Maybe substitute Tylenol if u won’t be doing much. But take at bedtime so u can sleep!  Goodnight
    • Posted

Yea since the pain isnt nearly as bad as a flare up I will just stop taking them completely, at least until I go to the bathroom again. As far as eating goes I will probably not eat anything else until I go to the bathroom either and after I do will try to go into things a bit slower. Goodnight.
    • Posted

Oh Corey!

A week since major bowel surgery, just 2 days on soft food, and then you eat a fried take-away as soon as you get out of hospital!  And you wonder why you have pain, constipation and got DD in the first place?  You may be young, previously fit and healthy, but you really should give your body and insides a proper chance to heal.  Still on the positive side, this may have been a learning experience lol!!

• Posted

All they told me when I left was low residue diet for a week. I assumed rice would be fine. The pain is manageable, so no more hydrocodone lol
    • Posted

It's not so much what you have but how it's prepared.  A fried (bad, bad idea) takeaway you have no input into what goes into it.  Steamed white rice is OK, but of course it's like eating cardboard, and with about as much taste.  It literally just takes away the hunger.  Back to the pre-op low residue diet.

• Posted

Hi Corey

Just checking in to see how you are doing? I hope u survived the rice the other day!  Have you been progressing?

• Posted

I'm doing good. I don't think it was any fault of the rice but my recovery has slowed down. I figured it had to happen sooner or later since the beginning of my recovery was extremely fast and easy. I'm more and more sore each day. I'm ok though

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.