Laparoscopic colectomy ???

Posted , 9 users are following.

This has been  the 4 th episode of diverticulitis since June 2016. For me I was diagnosed thru the ER. I was placed on Cipro and Flagyl for 10d . Each time I completed them and within 2 wks I was back in the Er and diverticulitis confirmed by CT scan. So another 14 days of antibiotics!  I am so nauseous during treatment!! I have lost 25 # since Dec. I feel the treatment is as bad as the disease. I have found sucking on doublemint gum takes care of the metallic taste. Can you tell me of success stories re surgery? I think I would like to be proactive. Also stress is definitely a trigger for me!

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Unless you have a stricture, try and avoid surgery.  Try CBD oil to calm the inflammation down.  I had to have the sigmoid removed because of a stricture.  I've had DD for years and had a nasty infection 14 months ago.  They discovered a 4 inch stricture which was making it very hard to pass anything.  I took CBD oil for backache and noticed in the 12 month period before surgery I had no flare ups, but had to go ahead with the operation to avoid emergency surgery because of a blockage in the stricture.

• Posted

Hi gailehughes, 

What is CBD oil and this found in the USA??

• Posted

I also ended up with a temporary ileostomy which I'm hoping I can have reversed in the not too distant future, although I'm not going to hold my breath because the stoma nurses reckon it could be 2 years before they do it because it's not deemed as urgent

• Posted

Gailehughes. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you had to go through, and still are. I too had to have the surgery because nothing was passing normally anymore. I'm sure you read the comments and it sounds like I was a lot more fortunate then you. I would try to urge anyone to only have the surgery if they have no other choice. This surgery seems like a gamble to me, and even if they take out all of the intestine with diverticulla there's no guarantee it will not form somewhere else. Could you please tell me more about this CBD oil?

• Posted

Hi Corey,

Wondering how you are doing? Hope you are feeling better each day! I know you had asked about the CBD oil and apparently it is a cannabis oil without the THC that is an anti inflammatory. My kids had to explain it to me😂. Just hoping you are ok. I see the surgeon next week. Do you have any suggestions on what to ask? I appreciate any input

Kate

• Posted

Well I got to a certain point where everyday I seemed more and more sore. It seems to be getting a little better now. Me and my wife took our 6 year old daughter through a mini safari type thing yesterday that had longhorns, byson, deer, a few zebras, and various other animals. They had reptiles and primates too, it involved a little more walking than we thought but overall I'm feeling pretty good considering. I'm trying to make the most of my time off from work. I would definitely ask the surgeon things like, "what are the chances of a stoma?" " is this really bad enough now to be at the point of surgery?" " is there anything else we can try first?"

• Posted

I just posted a question about surgery myself and concerns around recovery time. I haven't had as many episodes as you have had, but my doctor is recommending surgery already, which I'm all for, but very nervous. I can tell you that I have two family members that both had surgery numerous years ago and they said it has helped them. One of them gets mild flare ups about every 2 years, but she has not needed antibiotics, just changes her diet a hair. I'm hoping that surgery revolves all of my issues and no future flare ups. A colleague of mine at my previous job had a friend tell him that having the surgery was the best they he could have ever done and it has changed his life tremendously. I'm not certain if this helps you, but I wish you much success with whatever you choose to do.

• Posted

I just replied to your question and here you are! I’m glad you have some positive feedback! I’ve spoken to two on this site that have had positive experiences. I know I can’t handle the antibiotics and pain again . I have two grandchildren due April and July so I need to be better! Keep me posted!
  • Posted

I live in the US and am meeting with a surgeon next week. I have questions of my own but would appreciate any input from people who have had the surgery on what to ask.

Also spoke to an old friend who had the surgery 10 yrs ago. Best decision he ever made and no reoccurrence of diverticulitis!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.