Lapidus Bunionectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all!

I have just been told I need to have a Lapidus Bunionectomy on both feet and I immediately started watching videos of procedure and now I’M FREAKING OUT!!! I’m terrified about the bone cutting and the screws. Has anyone had this specific procedure done? Can you please share your experience with me? I need to know in all honesty, how much pain are we talking?  I’m so scared I’m leaning toward a big fat “NO”.  I’m suppose to do mine 1 at a time so could you please tell me is the pain going to make me regret doing it. 

Thanks so much for all advice and shared experiences. Wish me luck!!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get a second opinion. Have a bone density test done first. Don't let a podiatrist do the surgery.

• Posted

This is the second opinion.  If you don’t mind me asking, what will the bone density test show me? 

Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi Bashby

I had double chevron osteotomy or double bunionectomy.  My surgeon doesnt use screw and wires. 

I just had by surgery Tuesday and both feet done at once. 

While in surgery the anesthesiologist put nerve blocks in my ankles. When I came to I could feel the left foot aching. Like I have to crack my toe ache.   I thought the nerve block didnt work, but it was just slower kicking in.  I was able to get in the house using a walker and chose to be wheeled as much as possible for healing. The mistake I made was I did not want to take morphine and they could not get a hold of the surgeon to prescribe something else. The pills are time released and to be taken every 4 hiurs.  What I did not know is that it needs to build up in your system.   I should have taken the pills right away and every 4 hours but because I was feeling no pain I opted not to take anything. I slept through the night. In the morning they started to hurt. By night they really hurt and I was happy to take pills then. 

Stay off your feet as much as Possible.  Get in the walker and let someone push you.  Have a full time helper who will actually help.   Its really frustrating to not be able to do little things.  Take the pills as prescribed. You will be fine. 

I am writing my experience down day by day so check back on my discussions page. 

• Posted

The bone density will show if you have good bones. I was a very active healthy 51 year old at the time of my surgery. I had a lapidus arthodesis. I discovered after when my bone wouldn't fue that I have osteoporosis. Should not have chosen that procedure. You have to be your own advocate. Do not assume anything. Remain open and positive.😊

• Posted

That should say fuse not fue!
    • Posted

Thank you! Very helpful information. I have not seen a surgeon it’s just been the podiatrist so far although it’s been 2 of them I feel I will seek a foot and ankle surgeon before making the decision. I will contact the orthopedic doctor Monday for an opinion. I’ll keep up dates here once I decide.

Thank you again. Very grateful. 

• Posted

Hi Bashby

Are you in the states or Canada?

Podiatrists do the surgery too and I have friends who are very happy they have seen them.  But seeing an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in feet is a good idea too.  

You can get second opinions from the Cleveland Clinic remotely for $600.

There is a big clinic in LA that will also give opinions.

I would ask questions like this:

How many surgeries of this type have you petformed?

There are more than 40 types of bunion surgery why do you suggest this type?

Are you on call after surgery?

What aftercare do you provide?  (Daily call the first few days, option to stay in hospital first few days)

What appointments will I have after?

Do you remove the pins and wires after 4 weeks(some do)

What is the success rate you have had with this particular surgery?  

Do you have testimonials?

Why do you recommend one/two feet over the other?

Good luck 

When is the surgery date?

• Posted

Hi! I’m in the states. I’m going to contact a ortho dr tomorrow and ask all these things. Thank you so much for the questions because I never think to ask these things and you have listed a lot of good ones. Thank you again. Surgery date hasn’t been set yet as I’m still trying to find right Dr that I’m most comfortable with but I’ll keep this updated. 
    • Posted

Hi. I can't agree more. A podiatrist did my surgery 16 months ago.  My bunion is no different, still have problems finding shoes.  Saw an orthopaedist surgeon about it, who was surprised my doctor referred me to a podiatrist for the op and says I am worse off now than before as my little toe has been pushed outwards.  He arranged for me to have some special shoes made and if these don't work, he will operate but really doesn't advise having another op on the same area.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. I have scheduled appointment with an orthopedic dr before I made any decisions. Your experience is what I’m SO worried about happening to me. Your feet don’t need messed up and I don’t wanna go through multiple surgeries. Good luck to you. 
    • Posted

So sorry to hear that! It's important to remain positive. That's what I tell myself!

• Posted

Hi Bashby!  I am not sure exactly what my procedure was called but I do have permanent hardware with three screws in each foot.  I did have bones broken and bones sawed as well.  I totally agree with laura.  I went to a foot and ankle surgeon.  I had one foot done at a time, 4 mos apart-which was a little soon but it is winter and I was not driving yet from the first surgery anyway and I do have kids at home to help me.  I had waited too long to have this done.  I was to the point where I was only able to walk a half hour at a time before I had to sit down because walking was so incredibly painful.  Also. I had lost my arches as I was not using my toes much at all.  The other reason I had my feet done so close together was that I read that once one foot is fixed, if you wait too long to have the other one done, your hips and back can be thrown off.  I was given oxy for pain.  I left surgery with a comfortable splint.  There is a lot of resting and elevating your feet to be done.  I can only get up to use the bathroom and I use crutches.  Once I get back from the bathroom, I am exhausted.  I had my second foot done about three weeks ago and I am now in a heavy plaster cast for a few more weeks.  Then I should be going into a boot.  You absolutely want to do physical therapy once you get your boot on.  Honestly, the most work I have found is the physical therapy,  It takes quite a well for your foot to be able to do what your brain tells it to.  Along with fixing the bones, the muscles and tendons have to be put back where they belong as well.  Physical therapy is a lot of work.  I would absolutely recommend the surgery.  Mine is a genetic condition that was only deteriorating with time and no chance of getting better.  Please feel free to ask any other questions.  Again, I would only suggest a foot and ankle surgeon and also make sure that you feel that you have a good relationship---as in he takes the time to answer your questions and the office is available to you if you need them between appointments.  Hope this helps you!
    • Posted

Thank you! Very helpful information. I have not seen a surgeon it’s just been the podiatrist so far although it’s been 2 of them I feel I will seek a foot and ankle surgeon before making the decision. I will contact the orthopedic doctor Monday for an opinion. I’ll keep up dates here once I decide. 

I was never told anything about a nerve block so thanks to this info I am seeking an ortho dr Monday for different advice!! 

Thank you again. Very grateful. 

• Posted

Hi Bashby,  I had a nerve block at the knee  There were two injections but I had a little anesthesia, so I did not feel anything at all.  The knee nerve block wore off anywhere between a day and a day and a half.  You have to begin the pain meds as soon as you get home.  Please ask any questions as they come up.
    • Posted

Thank you. I am a bit confused about the nerve block. Do they do that and not use anesthesia?? I don’t want to be awake at all. I hear drills and screws and even if I don’t feel it, my brain says THAT HURTS!! I’m sorry to sound so crazy but I gotta know. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.