Large Ovarian Cyst waiting time?

Posted , 24 users are following.

I went to the gym in October and thought I pulled a muscle in my stomach, but it was really painful so ended up going to the doctors. They referred me for a scan and I ended up being referred to a consultant. I have been diagnosed as have an Ovarian cyst 10 x 10 x 8cm. My stomach is huge and I have been on painkillers for 7 months now. I was not expecting that news from the scan as it was explained as a small cyst, which may need keyhole surgery. Very shocked to find out it was that big and I may need to be cut open and possibly have an ovary removed too. I have a 12 - 16 week wait and am feeling pretty nauseous with constant bad back pain (my job involves standing up most of the day) which I am struggling with. My stomach is getting huge and I am a petite person. I am not sure I can manage 16 weeks wait, I will also have to postpone the op if that is the case due to circumstances, cannot believe the timing of it all. I have been told to go to A&E immediately if in pain as my ovary may twist. I cannot sleep as it is so uncomfortable I am having to turn every 15 minutes or so and am constantly tearful, which I cannot control. I am now eating little and often, getting indigestion and also pain in my hip too, just a few of many symptoms I am experiencing. Does anyone have any experiences of the waiting time they had? Or experiences of laparotomy or laparoscopy to share? Maybe just to put my mind at rest.

4 likes, 189 replies

189 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi bek, I'm having similar pain to you at the moment, I'm going on holiday in this country in just over a week, so will go to drs when I come back if still have pain.  I can't turn over in bed with out my right side pelvis hurting, feels like a bad pulled muscle, I can't lye on my stomach either as feel like I'm squashing something inside, I also have pain up my right side and upper stomach, I'm sick of taking nurofen, I really think I may have a cyst, just hope it's nothing worse 😰. 

Lisa x

• Posted

I would get it checked. I only went in as I thought I had pulled a muscle. There is a waiting list to get a scan if needed, so maybe speak to your doctor and get a scan when you are back from your holidays unless you can get it sooner. It is stressful I know and I am with you on taking the painkillers. It is a nightmare, but get it checked out earlier rather than later.
  • Posted

Hi Beck , I was wondering could you say you would take a cancellation appointment if the situation arises as it often does , obviously this means very short notice but it would be possibly quicker , I feel for you I'm going for a scan soon due to various problems , try to stay positive and keep looking on the forums for support , good luck x x
    • Posted

Hi did you get my reply. I think I posted in the wrong place. Thanks for the support. Good luck with the scan, it is good to knnow there are others in the same boat x 
  • Posted

Hi, I am on the cancellation list at the mo, but completely understand I am not a priority. Just doubly upset as I have my wedding abroad round the time of the scheduled op. Can't cancel the wedding as everyone has paid to go so they will not get their money back. Also very worried about me postponing the op and having a problem whilst abroad or having to sit doubled up in pain for the whole week. I know my health is important, but this has upset me too. It has taken me nearly 2 years to save for, I know it sounds silly but l am now unlikely to fit into the wedding dress which has upset me slightly as well. Minor I know, so many other things going on in my life I could do without the stress and worry.
    • Posted

How awful for you ,  most special day in your life & you have all this going on. Is it a long haul flight? What does the pain feel like? Mine is more of a dull ache, apart from turning over in bed, when it feels like my muscle is badley pulled. X x

• Posted

Awww Bek what an awful situation please speak to your doctor and explain about your wedding I'm sure they could sort it x x x
    • Posted

The pain started as a really intense shooting pain across my abdomin, I was doubled up in tears most of the time and it was hurting to go to the toilet. It is now almost what I would describe as 'kidney' ache in my back, but constant. When lying down, it comes in bursts across my abdomin. It was dull for quite a while until recently and has been getting worse again. I wondered whether it was more dull as I have been relying heavily on painkillers.
    • Posted

Yes they are aware. I am just sad as the wedding didn't nearly happen in the first place due to my partner being very ill last year putting a lot of financial pressure on us, so was getting very excited after he made a good recovery. It is not a long haul flight, but unfortunately, I may not be able to fly apparently after the op for up to 5 weeks. They are going to put me on cancellation and if nothing comes up allow me to postpone the op.
    • Posted

Bek I really feel for you, what  a nightmare , hope they can get you in real soon, as you don't want that on your honeymoon .  Yeh know what you mean about pain when you go th the toilet, I feel like their is pain and pressure on my bladder, when I go  for a poo, I feel  that I can never empty my Bowles properley & feel constipated. When I go to bed I tend to lye on my side, so I've been putting a firm pillow at the side of my stomach seems to help a bit, if I turn over I hold the pillow against my stomach .  Hope you hear something very soon,  I've been taking those feminex for period pain they seem better then normal strength pain killers  x x
    • Posted

Your symptoms sound very similar to me, I am just completely exhausted. I am now sleeping propped up on a few pillows which I keep having to adjust, but getting very little sleep. Have you been to the doctors yet? I was pretty shocked to find that half of my womb is squashed together and they cannot access it to check anything, doesn't put my mind at rest. Although at least having a diagnosis makes me feel like I am not going mad! At the moment I am taking a mixture of painkillers, may try the feminex as you suggest if it helps, thanks for the tip. Starting to get quite nauseous when eating and can only eat little and often at the moment due to discomfort. As I said earlier I do not expect to be a priority as there are many people worse off than me who really do deserve the appointments faster, so I cannot complain. In terms of your symptoms, try not to worry, it is unlikely that you have anything worse than a cyst, the likelihood of it being anything more serious is fairly low, but get that appointment as soon as you can x x
    • Posted

What kind of cyst have you got bek? No haven't been to drs yet, as I'm on holiday the end of next week & the dr I want to see isn't in this week . Has the cyst caused your womb to be squashed together? X x
    • Posted

They haven't specified the cyst I have. They have said they will try keyhole surgery and drain the cyst if possible, if it is solid they will then do laparotomy and do a biopsy. Yes unfortunately the left side of my womb is squashed together meaning they were unable to do a smear that they wanted to when I was being checked over. The problem is the pressure being put on everything around it is what I think is causing the pain, everything is just squashed up. My periods have stopped altogether, but I have been told that it is the pill working well, was always pretty regular before. I have actually requested to speak to a specific doctor now at the surgery as I have not seen the same one more than once, which is proabably making it slightly more difficult. Make sure you see the same person, I have just found that it is often difficult to get an appointment due to my work hours making it difficult to phone at the right times. I hope you enjoy the holiday, make the most of it smile
    • Posted

Aww blimey, I thought the pill was supposed to prevent cysts.  Definitely keep me posted, think it helps when you can come on this forem, and talk to others in same position, you take care x x
    • Posted

Totally agree it is a relief to know other people have similar experiences. I have been on the pill for 16 years, so unfortunately not worked for me. Will keep you updated and will keep my fingers crossed for you, I am sure all will be fine. I mean even with me it is just a case of an operation, I am just the most squeamish person on the planet, so am probably just making a mountain out of a molehill! x x
    • Posted

Bek I'm terrified of hospitals, operations, I've got real bad health anxiety, so your definitely not on your own.  The thought of being in that operating theatre makes me feel sick 😰, what part of the country do you live in, I'm in the West Midlands x x
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, 

I live on the North Somerset/ Bristol border.

Glad I am not the only one with a slight hospital phobia, I actually don't know why. I empathize with you though as I think the thought is actually worse than anything. I am at the stage where I just want to get it over and done with x x

• Posted

I'm just hopeless  when it comes to anything medical, I've only got to hear the word  cancer, & it really freaked me out, I have got medical insurance , can't really afford it but have it as my fear is that bad 😥 yeh I can imagine you just want it done ASAP you can look forward to your wedding then 😀 x x
    • Posted

Well done that makes sense. Nearly got myself medical insurance, but so many people said it initially was probably a pulled muscle that I decided not to. The silly thing is I could afford it, but actually thought it was nothing. I am not really one for pestering the doctors unless I need it. I guess I should have thought more carefully. If you have medical insurance, I would think that would speed the process up. I looked into paying privately, but that is something that I cannot afford! Thanks for keeping in contact xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.