Large Ovarian Cyst waiting time?

Posted , 24 users are following.

I went to the gym in October and thought I pulled a muscle in my stomach, but it was really painful so ended up going to the doctors. They referred me for a scan and I ended up being referred to a consultant. I have been diagnosed as have an Ovarian cyst 10 x 10 x 8cm. My stomach is huge and I have been on painkillers for 7 months now. I was not expecting that news from the scan as it was explained as a small cyst, which may need keyhole surgery. Very shocked to find out it was that big and I may need to be cut open and possibly have an ovary removed too. I have a 12 - 16 week wait and am feeling pretty nauseous with constant bad back pain (my job involves standing up most of the day) which I am struggling with. My stomach is getting huge and I am a petite person. I am not sure I can manage 16 weeks wait, I will also have to postpone the op if that is the case due to circumstances, cannot believe the timing of it all. I have been told to go to A&E immediately if in pain as my ovary may twist. I cannot sleep as it is so uncomfortable I am having to turn every 15 minutes or so and am constantly tearful, which I cannot control. I am now eating little and often, getting indigestion and also pain in my hip too, just a few of many symptoms I am experiencing. Does anyone have any experiences of the waiting time they had? Or experiences of laparotomy or laparoscopy to share? Maybe just to put my mind at rest.

4 likes, 189 replies

189 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Bek! I am in a really similar situation to you right now and getting so frustrated! I have a cyst that is 14cm by 14cm and growing 2cm a week. The 14x14 was on March 25th so I estimate it is about 20cm by now and I am on week 10 or 11 now and I have had two ultrasounds, an MRI and multiple appointments with nurses and my consultant but still no surgery date. I have been getting stopped by random strangers and asked how far along I am as my stomach is so big, so I feel your pain! I am getting similar symptoms to you with nausea, pains in my back, my legs etc not sleeping well, peeing all the time. I also get so emotional it's ridiculous, my hormones appear to be all over the place. I've been told that I need a laparotomy as it is now too big for a laparoscopy. Can you feel your cyst? If it protrudes, see if you can feel whether it comes up to your belly button or not. My surgeon told me that as mine had reached up to my belly button (3 weeks later it is now above it) keyhole would not be possible. I will also lose my ovary :'(

did they say what type of cyst you have got? Simple, dermoid, complex etc? 

• Posted

Hi Beccy, it does sound very similar. I have only had one ultrasound so far and no MRI. I do not know what type of cyst I have, they have said they will do keyhole, drain the cyst or if it is solid do a laparotomy and possibly remove the left ovary. They have also warned me the ovary could twist at any point (probably mentioned that) not the most comforting fact. Completely understand the situation, I sort of wonder whether if the process was quicker it would not be so drastic so to speak.

How are you feeling? I am struggling with work as sometimes I can't stand up, taking 4 painkillers to sleep at night, plus painkillers during the day, nausea tablets and indigestion tablets. I guess I am a little frustrated as the letter for the initial consultation got stuck in reception for a long time after telling me it was in the post at least 5 times, holding my waiting time up by nearly 6 weeks. I should be slightly further long in the process. I am surprised they have not given you a date, have you phoned the hospital?

I can feel my cyst and see it protruding from my stomach and like you I am looking very bloated. I have been told to keep exercising as usual but it is quite painful, so am doing less exercise which probably is not helping. Was quite into my spin classes etc.

I also get pins and needles in my feet particularly at night? What is that about?

Can I ask are you working? If so are you able to make it into work?

I am struggling so much, exhausted, constant headaches from lack of sleep, eating little and often to reduce the stomach cramping I get from a big meal. It is completely frustrating. At weekends I am sleeping in very late and then tired a few hours later. My skin is also awful, starting to get acne (great for my wedding photos).

I have every sympathy with you, I can literally see my stomach getting bigger on a weekly basis! 

I hope you get the news you want soon. I feel a little bit like I am just a number, not a person.

• Posted

Yes I do work, although I have been off for the last three weeks as I went on holiday. That was a massive part of it for me as my partner and I had been planning a trip to the states for an event with his friends in LA. I was so worried about it and having to lose my trip but after all my appointments and worrying, I got a cancellation appointment a few days before my trip and my surgeon said nothing about the flight would affect my cyst and I should just go and enjoy myself. He also said my surgery date would likely be just after I got back and not before (I saw my surgeon on April 4th and got back 24th) so I have been off work since 7th, I am going back to work on Monday though sad as I work in an office, I haven't really had any trouble as my cyst isn't giving me pain itself, it's just the side effects driving me nuts! lol

You mentioned pins and needles, I also get this!!!! So weird! I have loads of spots, which is really frustrating for me as I have never been spotty, even as a teenager! In fact pretty much every symptom you have listed above is me too.... Sucks to be us hey! lol

My friend is prescribed anti sickness tablets and she slips me a few from her packet every now and then which really do the trick! I do tend to be nauseous in waves though, how is yours? Long periods or just short bouts?

With the exercise, try to be careful as my surgeon told me no exercising as anything like that can increase the risk of twisting or rupturing, so as much as I want to go I don't :-( I feel so out of shape but I just can't risk the torsion or rupture!

How have you found fitting into your clothes? I fit into nothing! Lol xx

• Posted

Completely understand you.

Nausea is in waves, but can be quite severe and often comes with dizziness too.

As for clothing, I am really struggling everything is so tight.

To be honest it was the fitting for my wedding dress that made me think it was more than a pulled muscle, when they told me my 'waist' was a bit big for the size of the dress that was ordered. Fab, my waist is now huge and I am currently trying to work out how to fit into my dream dress. I was exercising to try and shift the weight, hence thinking I had a pulled muscle, but my stomach just kept getting bigger and I started to lose weight at the same time.

They have said no problems to keep exercising, but as it was that which hurt in the first place. I think that nothing too strenuous.

Desperately trying to get a cancellation before my wedding, one so I don't have any problems while I am abroad, two so I have a chance of fitting into my dress and clothes without the scarring hurting and three so I can enjoy the wedding I have spent years saving for (which incidently nearly didn't happen due to my partner's illness meaning he was unable to work for a long period of time).

I am wearing baggier clothes for sure and people actually started joking at work before Christmas about morning sickness as I was coming in feeling a little queasy and looking a little larger.

I am glad you managed to get a cancellation, did they call you? I keep phoning up and keeping my fingers crossed. I am sure the stress of it all is not helping. I was hoping to be in shape for my wedding, but it is looking unlikely. I am also starting to get spots on my back, that will look nice with a strapless wedding dress.

Seriously so much has happened in the last 3 or 4 years, that I never thought I would get to my wedding day. Now all I am doing is stressing about whether it will happen. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed. I know it sounds really shallow, I am sure that is what people have been thinking, but it is a really important day for me. I have spent so much time budgeting! I even had a doctor tell me last year that I really should consider having children as I had a maximum of around 3 years to get on with it. I know what they meant, but hey always felt I needed stability first. I kind of left the surgery feeling...........???

I have been told I may not be able to fly post op? I am guessing perhaps because of wearing a seatbelt, but actually have no idea?

Well could be good to share advice and see what happens.

Are you suffering from headaches at all? What a pain quite literally x x 

• Posted

Oh what a rubbish situation! When is your wedding? 

The reason you won't be able to fly is because of the DVT risk, when you have surgery (especially abdominal) the risk of blood clots increases massively. I think it is to do with your veins widening due to the anaesthetic, but I could be wrong on that bit. You are usually safe a minimum of four weeks later. 

How ow quickly has yours come on? I noticed mine about mid February, I initially thought it might have been a swollen bladder as I had had an awful case of cystitis for a couple of weeks. But it has popped up so quickly from that. As I said 2cm per week :-/

i do get headaches too yes, also stabby painstaking my head. Really weird. I just can't wait until it is out! Xx

• Posted

*stabby pains! bloody autocorrect! Lol
    • Posted

Hi I noticed abdominal pain in October after exercising and a very sudden swollen abdomin and a clear lump on the left hand side. Hurt when pressed, but still convinced it was a muscle pulled badly.

I guess there were some symptoms prior to tha,t which I fobbed off, for example occassional stabbing pains in my abdomin and sometimes a little sickness and dizziness, but as I frequently suffer with migraines I put down to that.

They changed the pill I was on due to migraines last April I think,  My periods completely stopped which was the pill working effectively they told me. Now I am starting to wonder, although the hospital said that the lack of periods is just the pill and not the cyst and my emotional state is stress.

I had my scan mid February and dread to think what size it is now as that was 2 and a half months ago. After that the letter went back to the doctor (took about a week). I saw the doctor about a week later and then 2 weeks later had an appointment with the registrar.

Have to say the pain was definately worse after having it prodded quite a few times in the examination, I know students have to learn but ouch. I guess I was checked thoroughly though. 

Strange you say about stabbing pains that is exactly the type of headache I have been having. Also waking up very headachey and groggy too. I can't wait for mine to be removed, I have been told that the waiting list will be put together at the start of May....so Tuesday. I shall be back on that phone again.

How is your appetite? I am eating less at the mo. Lost quite a bit of weight initally (half a stone). Gradually putting it back on, again strange as I am eating less.

Really not much fun is it x x 

• Posted

I have lost weight too! I've totally lost my appetite which is weird as I am a total foodie sad

ii lost about 5lb but since I have been on holiday I have gained about 2or 3 back, but my cyst is much bigger too so not sure what's weight gain and what's cyst! Lol I don't normally drink much so when I was away and was drinking all the time I am pretty sure most of the weight is from that as my face is puffy too - yuck.

yes that is exactly how I would describe my headaches! Groggy when I wake up and stabby in the day!

i think that they just fob you off, I honestly can't get over how bad the nhs has been for me! I wouldn't mind if it was not growing but it just takes the piss when it's growing as fast as this!

do you feel like yours has grown since your scan? Xx

• Posted

So annoying isn't it.

I know mine has grown as it is sticking out further (my abdomin that is) and the pressure on my (how do I put it) I guess vagina and rectum is actually quite painful, like sudden spasms. Can feel the pain when sitting, but even worse when standing for a long time. I am 100% certain it has grown.

Initially they said that it was squashing my womb together, but when thinking about that it would imply it is on the outside not inside? Had not thought about that before.

Also unable to have a sex life (sorry, someone has to mention it). Again that will be fab for my wedding won't it and if they postpone the op......? Who knows.

That is exactly what is worrying me, I know it is growing. Even my partner has noticed how prominent the lump is. Talk about feeling attractive right now.

I am feeling a little reclusive at the moment, don't want to do anything and definately starting to feel depressed. Thank goodness people on here listen to each other x x  

• Posted

Oh yes I know that bit. Lol I also have to wait until I really need the loo before going, also I'm every day more uncomfortable as the more painkillers I take the more constipated I become. The longer I have to wait until I can go, the less space I have in my tummy. Sorry tmi! So trying to go without any proper pain meds.

What do you mean on the outside, not the inside? Outside of what?

yes I hear you on the sex front. My other half will have none of it as he is frightened he is going to jet me or cause some damage. It's driving me mental!!! 

The depression bit I think is standard, if it's not we are both in the same boat! It makes you not want to go anywhere or do anything doesn't it?! I am so thankful I had my holiday to keep me distracted for a bit. 

How has your other half been? Do you feel ok with him?

xx

• Posted

Sorry well how is my ovarian cyst squashing the inside of womb together as I have been told? I can't work it out.......sorry probably didn't word that last sentence well. That does not make sense, I was told it was causing problems to the myometrium....part of my womb wall which is distorted (the bit between the inner and out wall) Confused dot com

My other half is pretty good bless him, trying his best. Feel a bit sorry as I constantly cry and he is trying hard to keep his eye on me.

I was told that the tearful thing has nothing to do with my hormones, but the stress of other things going on in my life, well I was able to control myself before, so I am pretty sure they are linked.

I am not feeling great today, luckily a friend has donated me some tramadol which she thinks will help, because the cocodamol and paracetamol and odd doses of ibuprofen are not doing much. Particularly when trying to sleep. The doctor said they cannot give me anything stronger!

Any idea on your waiting time..........it really is a waiting game!

Someone has said to me they had a C-Section with their child and just had to get on with it. I mean I am hardly having a baby, but it is starting to feel that way! x x

• Posted

Oh I see what you mean. Well would it not be so big it was growing next to the womb and is pressing against it? Although now you have written about the bit between the inner and outer wall, I am not so sure! Sounds more like a fibroid! Some types of fibroids grow inside the womb lining....

Glad that your other half is doing what he is supposed to and looking after you! What date did you say your wedding was set for? How does he feel about it all?

Nice work on your friends donation! I hear that tramadol makes you a bit sky high?! My friend offered me some of hers but since I am not in that much pain, I said no. Dont want to be taking stuff just for the sake of it.... plus, dont want any kind of immunity after my op. If I was in pain I wouldnt hesitate but for now the co-codamol does the trick wink

I have no idea on my waiting time. I called up again today after being told to call in on Monday (when I called on Friday I was told that the person I needed to speak to was on holiday until today) so I called up and they said that my surgeon was on holiday and I would need to wait until he was back. OMG, I am so annoyed!!! She wouldnt confirm for me but luckily he told me himself before I went away that he is back on 29th. I dont hold out much hope of any further resolution tomorrow though. I am starting to feel so depressed about all of this, it is making me miserable. I just want to stop chasing and have my date sorted, as the longer it goes on the riskier the operation is and the more difficult it is for my surgeon. Its causing me so much worry and stress, not to mention work and not knowing what I can and cant take back on. My job is pretty hard to hand over as I do a lot of contract negotaitions and they can take weeks at a time, they're really difficult to hand over as they are so intricate and complicated. Its driving me nuts being back today and not knowing what to take back! lol

Sorry - I know that you know how I am feeling since we are both in the same boat.....but it is just good to vent sometimes! lol

Also, I heard that a laparotomy is fairly similar to a c-section....great! xxx

• Posted

This is where I am confused slightly. They have definately put Ovarian cyst on my letter? Although when I spoke to my GP she said she had not really seen anything like it before and it was odd because I was on the pill?

The wedding is end of July and I am sure my other half is convenced we are jinxed!

Well as for the tramadol, didn't help. I was up all night again uncomfortable, with very strong stabbing pains in my head.

I rang the hospital again today, but they are not putting together waiting lists until the start of May. I was told it is unlikely I would get anything May or June as others have waited longer. Pointed out that my paperwork got lost within the surgery reception for over a month! I really feel like they don't care. If I could even speak to someone about what exactly it is I have, that would be a bonus or meet the consultant as I have not yet.

Again had to take another day off work today, I am really struggling to stand up for long periods of time (no more than about 10-15 minutes) and my back pain is getting worse. I can hardly scoot around on a chair. Work are being very good, but I don't want to have any more time off. I did go into work last week, but could hardly function through the tiredness and really felt rough.

Have lost about half a stone in the last 4/5 days!

I am also starting to get back pain that is radiating up between my shoulder blades, What is that about?

I am thinking the same thing as you, surely things will be more complicated the longer it is left!!!!

Feel free to rant, totally get what you are saying, I guess we share a common bond! x x 

• Posted

Are you calling the waiting list or your surgeon's secretary? My sister is in the medical profession and she has managed to get hold of my surgeon's secretary and she has now said that she will get him to call me directly tomorrow. Its growing at such an alarming rate, I can hardly wait any longer. Perhaps this would be the best idea for you too? You can find their number just with a bit of digging online or you can call the hospital switchboard and ask to be put through to the secretary directly. 

I totally sympathise that they dont care! Just another number, another voice at the end of the phone! I am so glad there are forums like this where people actually understand and want to listen! 

Bless you keep having to take days off....where is it that you said that you worked? Glad your work are being good about it all.... theres nothing worse than having to worry about your job as well, and its not like it is something that you could be making up. Like calling in for a tummy bug or something! 

Jeez, 1/2 a stone in as short a time as that?! Thats mental.....is it just because you have no appetite or because you are not eating as you're uncomfortable? Maybe you could try drinking smoothies.... I've found them very helpful as they are not bulky so not hard to digest and it doesnt actually feel like you are eating food so not too much effort.

The back pain does not sound good!! I really hope that they come through with a date for you soon!!! xxx

• Posted

Sorry, the first bit didnt make sense....I meant that the secretary will be getting my surgeon to call me tomorrow, fingers crossed the secretary isnt lying. Although I also have managed to obtain my surgeon's email address so I will email him directly if all else fails!!!

My GP is also calling me today so I am going to kick up a fuss there too cheesygrin x

• Posted

Hi manic week, sorry. I have spoken to waiting list and they have said I am on cancellation but other people haved waited longer. My issue is that I saw the doc end of Nov beginning of Dec. Referal letter got lost, managed my appointment in February for scan (assumed that would be my start date for waiting list). Results sent to doctor, doctor referred to hospital (April) So my waiting time starts from them and they have a deadline of end of October! Fab.

Also spoke to someone requesting email updates as very difficult to get to phone during the day when working. They said no. Long story short managed to get hold of Secretary who has taken my email to pass on questions. Also found out who my consultant was as I did not have that information. 

To make it worse I am also hard of hearing so phone calls when I do ge them can be quite a chore!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.