Large Ovarian Cyst waiting time?

Posted , 24 users are following.

I went to the gym in October and thought I pulled a muscle in my stomach, but it was really painful so ended up going to the doctors. They referred me for a scan and I ended up being referred to a consultant. I have been diagnosed as have an Ovarian cyst 10 x 10 x 8cm. My stomach is huge and I have been on painkillers for 7 months now. I was not expecting that news from the scan as it was explained as a small cyst, which may need keyhole surgery. Very shocked to find out it was that big and I may need to be cut open and possibly have an ovary removed too. I have a 12 - 16 week wait and am feeling pretty nauseous with constant bad back pain (my job involves standing up most of the day) which I am struggling with. My stomach is getting huge and I am a petite person. I am not sure I can manage 16 weeks wait, I will also have to postpone the op if that is the case due to circumstances, cannot believe the timing of it all. I have been told to go to A&E immediately if in pain as my ovary may twist. I cannot sleep as it is so uncomfortable I am having to turn every 15 minutes or so and am constantly tearful, which I cannot control. I am now eating little and often, getting indigestion and also pain in my hip too, just a few of many symptoms I am experiencing. Does anyone have any experiences of the waiting time they had? Or experiences of laparotomy or laparoscopy to share? Maybe just to put my mind at rest.

4 likes, 189 replies

189 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

just been reading all your post and suprised at it all..... i was admitted to a & e in december with pains on left side whilst pregnant....cut a long story short i miscarried had scan and they found a number of cysts on both ovaries including a dermoid of around 5cm (dermoid totally different from usual cysts as they are made up of tissue bone etc instead of fluid) ive had 2 ultrasounds and an mri since and 2 weeks ago offered the surgery to remove the dermoid in just 3 weeks time so cant understand why you have not even been given a date..... have they told you the cyst may disappear on its own as all the other cysts i had 4 months ago have done just that ... hope this helps x
    • Posted

Hi Petrina! That is so frustrating to hear sad when did they diagnose your cyst, I assume not in december as you say you are moving through things quite quickly?

I dont know why they are taking so long with Bek and I, its a joke really. My cyst is a complex cyst which means that it has fluid and solid areas and it was 14cm X 14cm the last time it was measured at my MRI 4 weeks ago. The problem is, it is growing at about 2cm per week. That would make it about 22cm now if it is still growing in line with the last three scans I have had. Of course, it could have slowed but it doesn't appear to have. Especially as I have just been on annual leave for three weeks and when I returned to the office yesterday, everyone was shocked at the size of it! LOL

I think the general rule of thumb is that anything over 5cms needs surgery as they dont tend to resolve on their own after that size. I have been told mine isnt going anywhere....it needs to come out by knife sad

Also, I'm very sorry to ready about your miscarriage, that is never easy to deal with. I hope you are ok.

xx

• Posted

was told for definate it was a dermoid in march after mri but they wanted me to have another ultrasound to see if it was growing but it hasnt at all still just under 5cm im having the 'gremlin' out with maybe the ovary too along with a biopsy of my actual womb at the same time x
    • Posted

Wow, so you really have been scooted through, thats brill!

Mine has been going on since early february now... 

Good luck with the op! Hoping everything goes smoothly! smile

x

• Posted

Thanx Beccy, mind you at one point it seemed like they wasnt going to do anything then all of a sudden i was signing consent forms, which borough are u under x
    • Posted

I hope that happens for me.... Its so large it is taking over my life, sounds silly but there's not much I can do without feeling the effects of it.

I am under Windsor and Maidenhead. What about you? xx

• Posted

Hi Beccy , was just reading today's posts and it's funny cos a couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my hubby and I said I'm sure that the waiting time must be more about where you live when it should be about what stage your at with your illness it's not right but it does seem different in all the boroughs . I'm Middlesbrough area in North East and it seems reasonable waiting times here x x
    • Posted

Hi Petrina, Sorry to hear about your miscarriage that is very sad for you. How are you feeling at the moment? Sounds like you have had a lot on your plate.

Glad you are not waiting too long, I guess there is not a lot that can be done about waiting time. I am also guessing that since the pain for me started around October and my cyst was measured in February it is not getting smaller. They are still uncertain as to whether it is fluid filled or solid. I even signed a consent form a while ago too, but no pre op assessment as yet.

The problems with the pain are getting more intense.

Perhaps the type of cyst affects the waiting time? I have no idea, but I am sure it is based on the area we live in........?

Someone recommended I see a consultant privately to speed things up. It could be worth a try smile

• Posted

Hi there,

reading through this I feel sp sorry for you all having to wait like this.

I am a week post op having a huge cyst removed and hysterectomy.

i am 51 years old.

i had no symptoms apart from developing a huge belly and feeling heavy and bloated.

from the first time I saw my Doctor to op has been about 2 months, the longest waiting time was for the first scan.

after my hospital appointment at Gynaecologist I hadn't  even walked out of the building and my phone rang offering me a date for surgery 3 days later.

i was shocked and said too soon for me.

another date set for 3 days later which was cancelled as they needed to review the scans first.

so 22nd April was booked.

all done now. I am doing ok.

i just can't imagine what you all are going through having to wait like this and with pain etc.

just the stress of the op and what could be found was awful enough for me in the relatively short waiting time.

i find it so strange this can vary so much.

my best wishes to you all, I really hope all is sorted soon x 

• Posted

Its really ridiculous. I am getting miserable about everything, it seems to be one lie after another from the hospital. I've been promised a call from my surgeon today but I have had nothing yet. I spoke to my GP yesterday and even SHE said how ridiculous this is. She was annoyed enough that she is going to put in a call to my surgeon today herself.

Great news that yours was so speedy Suki! Are you healing ok? Was it just the cyst that you had out or did you have other bits too? You say you had a big cyst, do you know what it measured? Bloody nightmare being a woman sometimes isnt it!!! lol xx

• Posted

Thanks Beccy,

i seem to be healing well, I have a huge cut going right up to above my belly button. The Gynaecologist said she had to make it so big to get the cyst out without rupturing it. She said it was about the size of a rugby ball, weighed around 8-9 lbs.

i had a totall hysterectomy, she did say she might take my appendix out, but she said all was fine so left it there.

it is so unfair us women have to go through this. sad xx 

• Posted

Hi Sukiyaki sorry to hear what you have gone through I hope you are healing really well , I'm so glad you have been treated quickly , I'm going for my scan today , take care x x
    • Posted

Good luck today Rattler!!! Let us know when you get on, I will have my fingers crossed for you! smile xx
    • Posted

Oh my goodness....that sounds bad. I think that is probably what I am dealing with as I have no space left in my abdomen at all. How are you feeling within yourself? Funny you mentioned appendix as I was going to ask whether they take it out. I would rather they did as it serves no purpose and only has the potential to cause me issues!

How long were you in hospital for? Have you been able to get about ok? xx

• Posted

Actually managed to speak to someone who said they would find out what type of cyst I have, as no idea. That person also said it will not be keyhole surgery but definately laparotomy. I guessed as much, but have not actually been told that is so many words. Would be good for a little clarity and explanation.
    • Posted

Wow Suki, that was a quick turn around, but sounded like that was a pretty big cyst. How are you feeling now?

Rattler7, hope the scan goes well, let us know how you get on.

Beccy, I have been promised a few calls too and did not receive them, also got a very irrate person when I called back to ask where my call was. Just being passed form pillar to post. Would like to have 1 GP dealing with me, would just like to stick to one who knows what they are doing.

Bless work they are looking after me, I think they can see I look unwell and keep a\sking should I be in. Don't like the idea of having time off as it stresses me out!

Eating less and symptoms are really not as bad as last week, although I am sure having a smaller apetitie is not great it does seem to be helping with the pain along with doubling the dose of painkillers and adding in a few extra tablets for indigestion and nausea.

Beccy I know someone who had her sappendix out at the same time as a cyst as it was inflamed and possibly caused by the cyst. Seems like a good idea, stops and more potential things happening x x 

• Posted

Excuse all spelling mistakes, hope that makes sense!
    • Posted

Hi ladies , had my scans internal too very thorough nothing found to explain my symptoms , great that I have no cysts or worse !! Then got my blood results for 3rd time  showing I have something wrong so back to doctors tomorrow hopefully get to bottom of it all , love to all of you , hope your all having a good day x x
    • Posted

What do they think is wrong rattler? Hope everything is ok....good news on no cysts! Xx
    • Posted

That's good news about the scan. Hope all is o.k., let us know what happens with the blood results x x 
    • Posted

Hi there,

thanks fr that, each day the pain is less now. I am just tired and feeling a bit sicky today for some reason. 

But recovery really does seem to be a lot quicker than I thought. 

I hope you soon get some answers Rattler xx 

• Posted

Hi Beccy,

they said they left my appendix there as nothing was wrong with it. I had a feeling they would just take it out whilst in there as it is not needed, so was surprised about that.

My op was Tuesday evening, I was able to get up the following day. I was able to eat breakfast, and ate fine after that.

I found I could lay on my back or sit for a while without much pain at all, if I moved yes it really hurt. 

I could have gone home Thursday but my painkillers hadn't been sent through, but was back home Friday afternoon.

Everyday now is a little less painful. I am not sleeping all that well, seem to get so hot at night and I am one for sleeping on my tummy, and of course no can do at the mo lol

today I feel a bit sicky, but am getting there. 

It really is amazing how quickly you start to recover from major surgery like this, so don't worry about it if you are going through the same. 

It really is the waiting about that is the worse. xx 

• Posted

Hi ladies feeling very relieved after my scan but left confused by my bloods my doctor is referring me to a rheumatologist as my ESR and CRP levels are high and my full blood count was abnormal , iv had 3 blood tests over past month . This is all out of blue and not related to abdominal probs , it seems all my pain and period probs are going to be put down to peri menopause . I'm not sure what to think it means I have to just put up with it which isn't easy , I am very lucky not to have to go through the surgery etc like you all so that's the best thing to be happy about , love to all x x x
    • Posted

Hi Suki, 

Good to hear your are making a good recovery.

You sound very positive, which is good.

I am not surprised you are struggling with sleeping.

What is your expected recovery time? You sound like you are doing really well?

x xx 

• Posted

Any progress Bek? Sorry I only just noticed this post! How you have detailed it aboved is exactly how I feel as well.....at least we are both in the same boat?

I know exactly how you feel with getting stressed about being off sick!! I am able to work from home so I have managed to come to an agreement with work that I can work from home 2 or 3 days a week so that I am not cramped up at a desk! Are you able to work from home (sorry I've forgotten if you mentioned what you do!!)  

Do you find yourself in pain if you eat too much? I feel physically sick and get pains in certain places in my abdomen... I have started eating smooth things like creamy mash and smoothies. It seems to be less painful for me if what I eat is smooth rather than solid stuff! 

Have they mentioned anything to you about having your appendix? I have not had anything but I suppose that comes at pre op.

I was measuring my stomach today, my cyst cannot possibly be any smaller than 20cm now as 20cm doesnt cover my whole "bulge" 

I cant believe it!!

I saw your post below that you finally got the name of your consultant - thats great news! I assume he was not much help though? Whereabouts are you in the country? I am under Windsor and Maidenhead.... xxx

• Posted

Hi Beccy,

Unfortunately I cannot work from home I am a teacher, so on my feet all day.

Yes I do have pain if I eat too much, back to soup and very small meals otherwise feeling really sick. Have anti-sickness tablets to help. Last week, really was struggling to eat and the pain was really bad, extra meds keeping it at bay for now. Again as previously said, that will be great for my wedding abroad, won't be able to enjoy it anywhere near as much. Considering the initial problem was reported to the Doctor end of Nov beginning of Dec, I was hoping to be a bit further down the queue/waiting list. They have now said 25th October is the deadline for me and I have to be seen by then. That will be a ywar since I first noticed the pain. 

Nothing mentioned about appendix, but only just had laparotomy confirmed as it was possible keyhole the other day and in all other conversations. Initially a laparotomy was sold as my worst case scenario. They also said there is a very small risk of damage to my bladder or bowel during surgery which they would 'patch up' at the time of the op if anything happened. I understand that they have to warn you about risks, but talk about making me more nervous!

I have the consultants name, but have not been able to speak to him. Got an email today to say that they are passing on my questions, but cannot do much until Tuesday. I am in North Somerset, near Bristol.

It is horrible knowing that it is getting bigger. The pressure is not good, back ache etc and pressure type pain in some uncomfortable places!

Have been slightly better this week, but I am wondering whether it is the fact I really am taking a lot of tablets now.

Have you got a date for surgery? I can't even get a guestimated date for the pre op assessment. I ahve not had any contact with the consultant at all.

Hope you are o.k. Are you like me, I have taken to lose fitting clothing, can't fit into my trousers. Great x x 

• Posted

Oh that sucks. Glad they are being ok about you being off work then. That really is a plus as some places wouldnt be so good.

The small meals is such a pain isnt it?! I am a big foodie so I have to make myself much smaller portions because when I eat, even though I am STUFFED I just want to carry on. Obviously there is a limit but I make myself so ill just trying to eat a third of what I would normally eat! 

Who have you been talking to about your op? You mentioned that you have not seen your consultant yet, was it just the gynae? Cant believe they told you that about the bowel and bladder. That freaks me out so much!! I have not been told that at all....I am not surprised that you feel nervous. I suppose it is just to cover all corners though. Have you been asked to sign a consent form yet?

My back is killing me. I have been in bed all day today (working from home) and my back is just something else. I would have thought it would be a bit better lying down but it just feels like I am being stabbed by hot pokers....

Still no date for surgery, it really is quite depressing. It truly is making me miserable now, I am in constant pain. Be it my back, my head, the stabbing pains in my legs, numbness etc - you know the drill! 

I am living in loose clothing too - brought my first ever pair of leggings the other day, they are doing the trick along with dresses and lounge pants at home. I havent been able to fit in my trousers in over 6 weeks sad

I will upload a pic of my monster belly. Its ridiculous! xx

• Posted

Aww Beccy that looks painful. I am having to stay in leggings and loose clothing too. I cannot believe that they are not doing anything. Nasty isn't it. Will try and send you a pic of me too, although my phone is pretty tempremental. 

I saw a registrar (who is one below a consultant) and 2 students (one observing and one undertaking the examination), but not seen the consultant. Hence having very little idea about what to expect, I also think partially because the doctors rather than the hospital have not made it as clear as possible.

I did not take much in TBH as wasn't expecting to have that sort of information. 

The pain was worse after seeing them as they poked quite a bit at my insides and asked if it hurt. The registrar also asked the student to have a look at what was 'abnormal.' 

You are a very similar build to me, being quite slim means that it is quite obvious. In some ways I guess that is good as we can literally show our stomach to the doctors..........if they are interested. 

The symptoms are not fun though are they. I am struggling to go out and I think I said before have stopped exercise completely.

Any ideas how much longer you have to wait?

It is not fair, they talk a out the waiting list a lot, but the putting the patient first thing seems to have disappeared.

Everything is now deadlines and targets. My gran was a nurse and ward sister. She would turn in her grave if she knew what it was like now. 

As said before I don't expect special treatment, but if it is affecting you job, your physical and mental health then should surely warrant something.

Keep me updated and keep talking, it really helps having others in the same boat.

I am sure if we were animals they would not leave us in pain! 

Keep on at them, I am phoning every day. 

Perhaps we should all go down the the hospital reception and work from there for the day!

• Posted

Hi Bek,

i think gradually I can start doing a bit more, but thy stress I must not rush things as I think you can feel like you are fit enough after a opulence of weeks, but the insides aren't healed up yet, so can put yourself back in hospital.

i think 4 to 5 weeks I can drive again, and 3 months all should be back to normal, so I can get back to my zumba fitness. cheesygrin

I really hope so anyway. xx

• Posted

Hi there,

pi am really glad you at least have some answers and don't have to go through an op. 

reallynhope you soon get sorted with everything else. xx 

• Posted

Hey Suki,

Glad you are starting to feel better. 

I am really worried about being incapacitated for so long. 

I am not exercising at the moment and woud love to, I know I will crave a trip to an exercuise class. Also spend lots of time walking my dogs, guess that will be out the window for a while. I know that you have to take it carefully due to internal stitches.

How are you feeling in yourself? Any nausea? What is your apetitie like?

You sound pretty positive, have you had lots of support nad people helping you post op?

X X X

• Posted

Beccy that's what I looked like. Can't believe I had no symptoms like you all have. 

I just can't believe you are being kept waiting like this. I really don't know how I would have coped if I had been treated the same way, and I had no pain etc. 

how can the specialists etc. say to me it needs getting out quickly and I would be treated as urgent and you guys are kept waiting like this when your cysts are affecting you so much! Crazy! 

• Posted

I have no idea, but I guess they had a reason.

Maybe the waiting time was less?

I know my doctor referred me as an urgent case, but they have put it is not urgent due to my blood test results and that is that.

Have to say I am not prepared to put up with the symptoms until the end of October.

It is good I guess that you had no pain and also good that they did treat you as quickly as possible. Glad all is o.k. x x x

• Posted

Yes I suppose that has got to be it Bek.  

Really hope you get there soon! xx 

• Posted

Thank you Suki , I'm glad too iam already disabled and have so many other problems to deal with don't need any more ops lol , hopefully I will soon  be sorted and I hope you are ok it's been lovely chatting to all the ladies on here , take care x x
    • Posted

Aww Beccy that looks so big I can't believe you aren't getting rushed in to get it removed I feel for you I hope you don't have to wait much longer it's not right leaving like this x x
    • Posted

Aww that is really encouraging Suki! Glad you arent feeling as bad as you thought, I am dreading the recovery time and how much pain I will be in. Like you, I have been told I will be in for two to three days. 

Not fancying that much as I have always thought of a hospital as a horrible place to sleep over night. I doubt I will get much rest. Hopefully the painkillers take the edge off lol

xxx

• Posted

Its awful. I am so uncomfortable all of the time! I can't wait for it to be out just so I dont have to think about/deal with it anymore!

I honestly dont think that they even believe me that it is growing this quickly (Feb 20th it was only 9cm by 8cm and only JUST visible if I lay down!!) 

I dont know what else there is to do!

Hope you are feeling a bit more positive about your results and you are getting on ok! xx

• Posted

"If they are interested" I think you hit the nail on the head!! lol

They really dont seem interested at all do they? Its just like being another number on the list....

The symptoms are certainly not fun, I feel bad for everyone on here having to put up with it. Its truly exhausting.

No idea how long I have to wait....I replied to my consultant on Wednesday asking just that and I was completely ignored. Starting to get nothing short of totally peed off! I dont understand why they cant just explain the process to us. It feels a bit like everyone knows what is going on except for the patients. Like its secret information and we are not privy to it!!

I am sure your nan would! It has totally changed since her day, people actually used to care and now it is all about SLA's. Like you've mentioned above. 

I am not sure how they do it as I dont understand how there can be such a busy list. How can there be SO MANY women in the area that all have these gigantic cysts that all need urgent surgery. So many in fact that the surgeons cant squeeze our (quite serious) cases in for two months. I genuninely don't understand. It doesnt seem possible?! 

I know that they have different bits to do and consultations and all the rest of it, but it surely cant be that many? Perhaps it is more about making sure they can fit in their golfing days...

hahaha - I have already thought about setting up shop in the hospital.... knowing the way they have dealt with things so far though I can only imagine them telling me it wasnt Wexham but Heatherwood that I should be at and vice versa! 

PILLAR TO POST!! lol

So glad I found this forum, it really does help to talk! 

xx

• Posted

Hey Beccy, my cyst was measured in February and has got much bigger.

I have a very hard lump/mass on my stomach and I can tell you it hurts.

I am petrified of hospitals and freak even having a blood test.

Today I have not taken any painkillers to see if I can manage without.

I have horrendous backache, nausea and diarrhea (TMI sorry), going to go and take some tablets now.

I phoned the reception a  week last Thursday and they did not get back to me. On Wednesday managed to get some questions recorded to be sent to the doctor, unfortuntely they are unable to do anything till at least Tuesday???? The reception is based pretty close to the doctors.....how can it take a week?

I am so nervous and am convinced the waiting time is giving me too much time to much to think about. Everyone on here has their own problems and it just seems so unfair that we are all being treated like this. 

I have to be honest the fact that I was told my cyst could twist or rupture at any point has not helped!

Anyway guys, keep talking. It really does help you're right.

x x x

• Posted

I really feel for you i do! I think yours is definitely bigger as from your pic you do look a similar size to me. When my cyst was the same measurement that you have mentioned, I could only see my cyst when I was lying down. I had a bump like you when mine was about 14x14. Each to thier own though I suppose, everyone is different and it depends on where it is sitting.... 

Mine was

Feb 20 - 9 x 8cm

Mar 13 - 12 x 9cm

Mar 25 - 14 x 14cm

Now like you, I KNOW it has gotten bigger. Its blindingly obvious. I was off work for three weeks on holiday and when I came back everyone was shocked at the growth. So even if I think it has grown (and I see myself every day), that speaks volumes! 

Thats shit that you are in so much pain! Could you try deep heat or something on your back? I have terrible backache. Lower left hand size in particular. The nausea comes and goes with me. Have you had any hot flashes? Thats another one I have noticed. I am and always have been a very cold person and recently I have been getting hot flashes (or flushes? Not sure which one it is!! lol) and I am all of a sudden UNBEARABLY hot. Stripping off etc.... wondered if anyone else had had that?

Have you had a look on your hospitals website? If you know the name of your consultant or gynae oncologist you can usually find their number or at least their secretarys number. They are so much more helpful! Although not to the point of getting a date....just to not be rude! 

What kind of questions did you ask? I am currently compiling a list to ask on Tuesday, hopefully if we bombard them enough we might make some progress! :D

Totally hear you on the nerves....I keep myself up at night thinking about everything. It gets me so frightened. 

With regard to the cyst twisting or rupturing, all you can do is minimise the risk with little things. Have you tried propping your "bump" up at night with a pillow (if you sleep on your side), no lifting, no twisty type activities. 

I feel that as long as the risk is as minimal as possible (however little) it helps! With any luck, because they are so big it will mean that they have less room to move so less likely! Even so, if they do maybe we will get seen a bit quicker! :D 

xxx

• Posted

I have only had one scan and that has been that have no idea of the size now, I would say mine might be smaller but I don't know why. Just not liking the pressure on everything at the mo. How have you managed three scans? I woud like them to check whether it is growing......

Yes I soooooo am getting hot flushes, had one at the hospital. Again a few family members joked about that! Mentioned this to them at the hospital ,they said it was 'warm' today.

My questions have been pretty basic so far as I don't feel they have given me enough info. Firstly who is my consultant (managed to get that info).

What type of cyst do I have.......they have said from my records they do not know so are waiting for the registrar to speak to them to pass on details to me.

What are you asking?

I feel the questions I am asking are basic info I should have been given at the start!

I have been told in the hospital to carry on doing my exercising as usual e.g. spin classes, body pump etc. I decided not to as it is too uncomfortable and after being told about possible twisting of my cyst did not think that was a good idea. Even bending down to pick something up is uncomfortable!

I am not giving up, just sometimes difficult when you are feeling pretty rough to feel motivated to constantly phone and chase. I have burst into tears on the phone (not intentional) couldn't help myself. I generally end up in tears at the end of the conversation more due to frustration that I can't get any info.

I am going to look on the positive side Beccy ( as mentioned by someone else) I guess it will be a rapid weight loss post op and we will be feeling better. I genuinely thought I was anaemic due to feeling so tired.

Weirdly I had a large cyst on my chest in the summer of last year that went down (thank goodness) but I was referred for that too, however I would guess that is a hormone imbalance maybe? 

My hair is in pretty bad condition and my skin is very dry but starting to get spots on my face and back.......beautiful!

I am totally with you....petrified is the only word.

x x x

• Posted

Hi Beccy, 

sorry I only just noticed this reply.

hospital really isn't that bad. Well I reckon you will go into the same sort of ward as I did. Not sure what hey label it as now, gynaecological? Sorry can't remember, but it only had 8 beds. My bed was in a room with just one other bed. 

It was quiet for most of the night.

and the pain really was not as bad as I thought. It hurts when you move yes, but you can sit and lay without any pain if you get me.

and I think I was in more pain due to the size of incision they had to make to get my rugby ball out without rupturing.

i was on morphine, but I opted for the lower dosage, and paracetamol and ibuprofen. 

now 12 days after my op I am hardly taking any pain killers. 

It really isn't as bad as you think it will be.

i hope saying that doesn't jinx me and something go wrong now eekwink

but really, it is a speedy recovery.

i think the trouble is, the longer you have to wait, the worse your anxiety becomes. xx

• Posted

Hi Suki,

Glad to hear you are doing so well and it is not as bad as I am starting to think.

I guess getting everything over and done with seems a little quicker than waiting here at home and thinking about it too much.

Keep me posted on your recovery x x x

• Posted

Well originally I was told I was pregnant so I went for a scan to work out how far along I was and there was no baby just a mass. They obviously measured it there and then sent me for a scan to get diagnosed and then they sent me for an MRI as there were solid areas that they needed to take a closer look at.

Glad it is not just me with the hot flushes!! They're awful.... I quite like being warm but it is just bloody ridiculous! lol 

I can't even believe that they havent given you that kind of information yet! That seems insane! I hope they are giving you good answers and at least giving you some peace with it. Although sometimes its nice not to know all the details so that you dont investigate on google and start worrying yourself! lol

I am going to ask things like, what are the risks of a cyst being 20cm or over? How much more complicated is the surgery the larger the cyst gets? What is the risk now that my MRI information will be out of date? (had MRI on 25th March) What are your processes for booking in appointments? What is your SLA for PROVIDING an appointment date? Is it standard practice to leave a cyst this long when it is growing so fast? Is it normal for a cyst to be growing this fast? What is the risk of the cyst becoming malignant whilst it is "brewing"? etc etc....

I was also treated for CIN 3 which are pre cancerous cells on my cervix in 2012, so I want to know if it is likely that will affect anything.

I am building up quite the list! lol 

I know what you mean with bending! Do you find you get any pain from sitting in certain chairs like dining chairs for too long? I have to lie back for the most part as I get too squashed!! 

Dont give up no! That is the best mentality! I have also burst into tears on the phone for exactly the same reasons so dont worry about that! Are you asking for cancellations or just asking for your bookings team to check for an appointment?

Could you invest in a decent hair treatment? I generally use Redken hair masks as my conditioner anyway as I think they are amazing! My hair hasnt been bad but I have all of the same as you spots wise. One other thing I have noticed as I am SO DEHYDRATED all the time! I drink so much but my mouth literally feels like I have glue in it sometimes it is that dry. Never had such bad dry mouth ever! 

At least it will be only a few days hospital stay for us. Did they tell you how long they expect you to be in for at least? They said 2-3 days for me. xxx

• Posted

Ahh well that sounds better! I wouldnt mind if it was a seperate room with only two beds. Sitting still is what I will be doing for the most part! haha

Have you got a big scar? Mine is probably as big as a rugby ball now sad ....It goes from hip bone to hip bone and up above my belly button. It sticks out loads too like a pregnancy. No chance my ovary will be salvageable. 

Has your scan closed over? Have you had your staples out? 

I am really pleased for you that you are making such a speedy recovery! I bet you feel loads better already?! I'll certainly be happy to get rid of all of the aches and pains! lol xxx

• Posted

Hey Beccy,

Some really good questions there, I shall probably pinch a few of those too! Still working on basic info, they have told me they are not sure whether my cyst is solid or not and will try to drain it in the op, but if it proves to be solid then........I think they mentioned biopsy and take it from there? Not really anything concrete to be fair.

Yes and like you, really dehydrated. Actually booked a facial to cheer myself up and the woman said I should drink more water, I would love too and am drinking a lot, but the amount of fluid is not helping with the pressure on the bladder!

I have been told that the laparotomy is around 3-5days in hospital depending on speed of recovery, but I know I will want to get home asap. I was key hole would be 1-2days, but that is out of the window now!

I am surprised they have not given you an appointment earlier particularly due to pre-cancerous cells found before. Think I mentioned they cannot do a smear test on me, because they cannot get in (sorry) which I am sure is not the  best news, was hoping that would be enough for my doctor to say 'oh it is pretty big, lets get that out quick!' or something similar.

As for hot flushes, I actually go bright red and literally feel like my whole body is burning up. I even at one point thought I may be going through early menopause. It is horrible when it happens as you cannot control it.

Yes certain chairs are uncomfortable for me too, I have a lot of cushions near my back as it helps. Weirdly last night too (normally sleep propped on cushions) I spent the whole night coughing and wondered whether there was a bit of pressure on my lungs. Not like a chesty cough, but more a can't breath properly cough. 

My hair, working on it with treatments using the aussie stuff, but just finding probably that my scalp is dry more than anything, guess that comes with the weird dehydrated feeling we are both experiencing.

This week then our mission is to get a date and more info on what is happening. Kepe me updated xx x

• Posted

That's mental, surely they can't operate without knowing what it is? Have you not been offered an MRI or anything? Mind you, they told me after my ultrasound that there were solid areas.

haha that's so true. It's a vicious circle with the dry mouth and then they bladder pressure! I am glad I am not the only one with all these annoying symptoms, we seem to have matching ones!

oh that sounds like you will be much better looked after than me in terms of hospital stay! I will be booted out as soon as they can! Lol even when they thought they could do it keyhole they said it would be an outpatient surgery.

I know, I am going to mention that again when I call tomorrow. They DId ask at my first appointment with the gynae whether I had had any gynaecological issues before and I did mention that. I had to have it out with an electrical knife loop thingy and it wasn't nice at all. CIN 3 is the last stage before it goes bad...although it can take years still scary. 

That is CRAZY they can't even get in to do a smear. Yours must be really awkwardly placed. Has it affected your periods at all?

The pillows are a good idea, I actually gave a little one I can carry about. I have been a little coughy as well, I noticed I have been sighing a lot co sit feels nice to get so much air in lol 

a tip for when you condition your hair (if you haven't heard before) is always towell dry before putting conditioner on. Its amazing how much more difference it makes. Apparently your hair doesn't absorb the conditioner/treatment if the hair is wet as it just slides off. 

Yes! That can be our mission! Lol if at least one of us gets some progress I'll be happy! lol

• Posted

My rugby ball was up ways so my cut is right up to just under my rib cage. So maybe the way mine laid was why I didn't have lots of pain, just uncomfortable and felt like I was walking round with a bag full of water.

the scar looks like it is healing over, the ends still have the steri strips. All the stitches are the self dissolving type.

the bandage was taken off the day after surgery, really surprised at that. I am a bit of a wuss with things like that, but glad to say so far it's even absolutely fine. 

And although there is swelling, it is really nice to not have my Buddha belly that I was so embarrassed about. And as the pain goes I realise how much better I feel in there wink

I really was so surprised the day after my op at how good I felt, I was on such a high. Was expecting so much worse. So try not to get stressed about it. xxx

• Posted

Oh that is so encouraging. You are making me feel loads better! 

I dont actually get any pain from mine. It is just the side effects that are causing me the issues. Its weird as everyone else (except you) seem to be in agony! 

Did you not have staples for your cut? I cant wait to have mine out and stop worrying about it. It really does take over everything.

I am so pleased that you are healing up nicely and you are not in very much pain. Did they give you much pain relief in the hospital? Are you able to walk about much?

xxx

• Posted

That's great to hear Suki. I am looking forward to having my op, I am so desperate to get it over and done with now it is unbelievable.

My symptoms are very on and off, but I can't have any more time off work. The way I deal with it at home is I have a lie down, sit or stand up so that the pressure on my back and abdomin shifts a bit (weird) Unfortunately can't do that at work!

In the last 15 minutes my dog has jumped onto my lap, absolutely killing me.

Great to know that the recovery is fairly quick and that we may actually feel so much better after. I just wonder how long it has been going on........not sure as some many symptoms I just fobbed off as normal, something that I just got used to. Backache, stabbing pains in my head, nausea, dizziness...put them down to migraines. 

Glad you are feeling so well  x xx

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better after your shooting pains/dog incident Bek? Doesnt sound too much fun!

How are you feeling today Suki? Still getting about ok?

I have had a LITTLE bit of a breakthrough today. I called the hospital this morning and asked for an update and she first fobbed me off again, but then she said that she would have a date for me by the end of the day and someone would call me back. No one did so I called them. Surprise surprise, no date. I ended up getting so upset/frustrated my friend had to calm me down.

I sent them an email (gynae oncologist and the contact my surgeon gave for the wait list) it was really kind and essentially just begging for someone to help me and to let me know what was going on. I said I am not asking to be given any special treatment or anything, I just want to know what is happening - I am so in the dark. Anyway, it was pretty long and included a load of Qs about the risks and almost as soon as I had sent it, the head of the wait list called me. She was super apologetic and begged me not to feel the way I put in my email. I've been on her radar all week but she was having real trouble pinning my surgeon down.

She also said that the lady that answers the phone is a temp that answers the phones (almost like their secretary) and that the reason why she kept saying they were waiting for my surgeon is that they are waiting for him to confirm whether they can transfer me to a private hospital not too far away to have my surgery there. It is all down to him to sign off and they obviously cant confirm until he comes back to them. She said he will be in tomorrow in the same place as her and that she would sit on him until she has some answers. She also swore that she would call me tomorrow and give me an update, whatever it may be. So hopefully I will have some news tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!

Maybe you could try a similar tactic Bek? Do you know your surgeons name? If so it shouldnt be too hard to work out his email address? 

Hope that you had some results today? xxx

• Posted

That sounds really promising. Glad you are hvaing some luck.

I know my surgeons name. I have had email contact with a secretry (who I thought was the consultants, but noww not sure). They would update me today, again unfortunately everyone is busy when I called today and they were possibly going to call me back, but were in an all day meeting putting together waiting lists! What is weird not even one person I have spoken to including those who have access to my medical records cna even tell my what type of cyst it is?

Today they said they thought I would be able to find out if I am on a list, Thursday there was no way they I was getting an op in May or June, well which one is it. 

I can't even get an appointment with my doctor, they just don't care! Managed a phone call appointment tomorrow, but that was all I could get. As per usual if you want a morning appointment you phone at 8am (I am driving to work) if you want an afternoon appointment you phone at 12 (I am teaching a class then). I have no chance.

I am going to try similar if I hear nothing tomorrow. I am phoning daily now and am getting desperate. I need my appointment by mid June latest or my wedding will be ruined. I won't be able to sit long enough at my own reception for the speeches without being in agony.

Glad you are getting somewhere, I am just getting fed up.

I am actually feeling fairly rough this evening. 

If I hear nothing tomorrow, I am making a complaint and emailing the consultant (who might I add I have not met!).

Well done you, hope you get the result you want. Have almost stopped being nervous about the op and am starting to get angry now x x 

• Posted

Yes it was quite promising. She was so nice about everything, I have got a little bit of hope that she will actually call me tomorrow. (That is, until tomorrow when she doesnt actually do it) 

They way my friend worked out my consultants email address is googled general help email addresses for the hospital you are having your surgery at and then use that format with first name.surname and it should be right. The NHS ones are all like this "hwph-tr.nhs.uk" the hwph is my hospital's code I think. Just google and see what you can find! Good luck with that one! smile

If you want I can even send over my email as a template lol

Have you not complained to PALS yet? I would definitely get onto that! 

Glad you are feeling a bit more optimistic today. I guess we have to have it done so no point worrying yourself if you can stop it.....and Suki's comments have helped loads! 

I have started getting pain right in the middle of my cyst, just below my belly button. Its not fun! xxx

• Posted

Bugger, I have just emailed you a really long message and it has been forwarded for moderation as I have put an email address format in there! UGH! 

Basically just said google the hospital email address format (but I have just realised that you already have it in the form of the "secretary's")

Email your consultant first name dot surname at that email format and it should go through (thats what I did to get mine)

Also said, I am glad you are feeling more optimistic! Sometimes it is better just to try not to think about it.... like you I am terrified so try to take one day at a time. Every day is a battle at the moment so takes it out of you to do anything else.

I dont know if I mentioned but I have been given notice on my property and I need to move out by the end of the month. Bloody nightmare trying to fit it all in!! So much stress at the minute! lol

I have my fingers crossed for you for tomorrow too... xx

• Posted

Also, have you told all your guests that you are having this issue? What have they said? I know you said it was abroad so I hope a nice location! smile
    • Posted

Hoorah! I got a call from the wait list lady today and she has offered me an appointment tomorrow! I am going in at 7:30am. I am not utterly terrifed! It will not be private and it is with a different surgeon but I am just happy to have it booked. I am feeling sick about it all generally.

Have you had any luck at all today Bek? How are you feeling after your pains from twisting and the dog jumping up? All ok I hope 

xx

• Posted

Hey Beccy,

No luck at the hospital today. Same old, they cannot tell me what cyst I have, that I am on the cancellation list but no date as yet. They also said I had to check cancellations through admissions (not the secretary) but that there was nothing.

Managed to get a doctors appointment (finally) and the doctor seemed genuinely shocked and concerned by the size of my stomach. The doctor is recommending that the surgery is done earlier. 

I have been told to take a week off (will see how I am Monday) and  been prescribed some sleeping tablets temporarily. The doctor also wants to see me in 2 weeks time.

That is a positive. I knew if I could actually get someone to see the size of me they may realise how much it hurts.

Can't believe it we must be twins, literally moving this weekend after a lot of stress with my property.

Wow, kind of weird.

Have you heard any more?

x x x

• Posted

Sorry just saw this message. That is fab news, so glad they have finally done it.

Long time coming isn't it. Don't be worried I guarantee you will be feeling much better afterwards less tired etc. I am nervous too, but have decided that it has got to be better than waiting and doing nothing. I am assuming you are actually having the op or is it the pre-op assessment?

So pleased for you and will be thinking of you tomorrow.

I am o.k. after the dog jumping on me, pain only temporary.

At least you are going in and after tomorrow all will be less stressful anf life can move on a bit. At the moment doesn't it feel like everything is on hold.

Let me know how it all goes.

Keep us updated and take care x x smile

• Posted

Wow - that is good news! I am so pleased for you that he has decided to move it forward! Nice win! smile

Also nice that they have signed you off work for a week, you definitely deserve a rest!

hahaha that is so funny with your move! We are definitely going through it together! 

xx

• Posted

Thanks Bek,

i remember I had back ache when standing for long periods, even before the bump got big, and I had those visual migraines. I wonder if that was anything to do with cyst now you mention that.

and one of my two cats ran over my belly twice a couple of days after I came home from op. boy that hurt! I screamed! I now have a pillow over my belly if they are playing with each other near me lol

One thing I'm not enjoying now are the hot spells I am getting. sad xx

• Posted

Sorry that came in the wrong feed redface
    • Posted

Ow that sounds pretty painful, cats running over you belly!

Migraines/visual disturbances, weird isn't it?

Hope you are o.k. now x x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.