Large ovrian cyst and raised ca125 levels

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've recently been told I have a 7 by 2 cm ovrian cyst . They took blood and found i have raised ca125 levels and they are concerned. Had my bloods done again and will get results Tuesday. If the levels are the same or higher I'll be fast tracked to see a gyno. I'm 24 with 2 young children and terrified it may be cancer as doc said it can't be ruled out !! Please help I'd appreciate any advice or similar situations

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

As others have said, the CA125 test is pretty useless. Many things including benign cysts can cause an elevated result. I had a (benign) mucinous cystadenoma and my CA125 was in normal range (less than 36) but a friend had the same type of benign cyst and her CA125 was over 1000.

VERY FEW ovarian cysts are cancerous. Ovarian cancer is rare if you do not have a family history / genetic predisposition.

Unfortunately, many surgeons remove the ovary along with the cyst. For one, it's easier plus some may not have good cystectomy (cyst removal) skills. But removal of even one ovary can impair fertility and also permanently impair hormone production / endocrine function. The ovaries are not just for reproduction; they are also endocrine glands and studies show that they produce hormones our whole lives (especially a good amount of testosterone in our 60's and beyond) that are essential to good health.

That being said, since your cyst is 7cm it may not

• Posted

I must have hit a wrong key - wasn't finished typing. It's possible your cyst will resolve on its own as most due. If it appears to be complex, the chances of that are less but it does happen sometimes. But at the same time, you don't want it to get much bigger since that can cause ovarian torsion and may make it harder to save your ovary or at least enough ovarian tissue for normal hormone production.

An MRI or CT may be helpful to get a better view but CT scans expose you to radiation and in my case, the radiation and expense wasn't worth it because I needed surgery anyway.

Best wishes with getting proper treatment! Will be watching for results of Tuesday's appointment.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. All my consultant kept saying was how big it was. But when I asked what kind it was and if it was a simple cyst he left the room ! So I got changed went to reception and was told to go see my go for bloods and referral haven't heard much since apart from these levels which by the sounds of it seem very unreliable xx be in touch Tuesday! X

• Posted

I get cysts regularly, I must have had 4/5 in the last year or two. They tend to grow to 3/4cm and then disappear. Gyne's tell me that they don't consider any removal/intervention options until they are at least 6/7cm. Many people report theirs to be 10cm plus at removal. Don't worry too much. One friend of mine gets them more often than me and she feels it when they burst. I don't. I am 45 and had a hysterectomy keeping my ovaries 4 years ago. What tends to happen for me is I'm asked to go back after three months and the cyst tends to have disappeared, then 3/4 months later a new one grows. The doctor should be able to tell if it's a simple or complex cyst with a scan, I always take a copy of mine and can see the type. Don't worry until you have something to worry about!

Good luck on Tuesday, let us know x 

• Posted

I have a really bad ache in my lower tummy is it because of the cyst do u know? Xx
    • Posted

Hello Samantha,

I have 3 cm cyst in left ovary...but it's extremely painful during first day of PMS. I have it for 4 months now.dr. Saying to wait and watch, but due to severe pain I don't know how long I can wait. Were yours cyst painful? If so what you used for pain reduce? Every month I go to so much pain... Like last stage of labor pain...

• Posted

Have an achy pain in lower tummy . Will this be because of the cyst do u think! ? X
    • Posted

Yes I had pain from mine and also back pain and pain in my thighs
    • Posted

That's a relief to hear lol my backs been killing but always presumed it was due to picking the kids up ect xx

• Posted

So today I've been in agony with my lower back . Also I ate not much for tea but was soo full. When I went about an hour later to put my little ones teddy in his cot for bed time I unexpectedly threw up. Is this normal .belly is very swollen now ? Advice please xx

• Posted

Becca,

Are you feeling weak, cold, faint? Not to be an alarmist but your cyst might have ruptured. Could be internal bleeding.

• Posted

I've been freezing for the past 2 days. Not really faint , the odd dizzy spell now and again. My tummy still swollen today , feel like I've eaten loads but I haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon, I'm a bit scared to tbh incase I'm sick again x

• Posted

Becca

At the very least call your Dr. and tell him your symptoms. He needs to take this seriously and make you a priority!

Also, get something for your pain! You need to be functional. I am so glad I did not have such severe symptoms. So many women, like you, suffer so much pain for so long and yet still function.

• Posted

I will it's a bank holiday today so will have to wait till tomorrow. Hopefully getting results tomorrow x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.