Large skin tag after hemorrhoidectomy

Posted , 11 users are following.

i had my hemorrhoidectomy on 5 September and have been left with a massive skin tag. it hurts to wipe and its difficult to keep clean. it irritates when i walk and today has been bleeding. has anyone else experienced this and if so what was done?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi Mary

in two months , you will be healed and you will have no pain . i had same issue after my surgery . if it bothers you afterwards , you can have it surgically removed .

• Posted

i am 2 weeks behind you in terms of recovery (day 16) so cant offer any feedback

but could it be a part of the wound swelling that is still healing? i have read people on this forum discussing that it can take 2-3 months for this to reduce. at least i keep telling myself this.. i looked at my bottom the other day and wish i didnt. really hoping this is not what i will be left with.

• Posted

A couple of things come to mind, having had hemerrhoids banded last year.

1. Not all skin tags should be removed;
    2. Irritation is a well known symptom that frustrates patients who seek remedy; and
    3. Evaluating if they should be removed (and removing is warranted) is a job for a colorectal surgeon or dermatologist (I saw the former).

Good luck!

• Posted

oh never! not what you want after surgery. i had one for years and years which is caused from actually having haemorrhoids. when i had banding done i asked them to remove it, he said he would but it might be better to leave it as it would hurt a lot. it was always out of my anus and the pain would affect it when i went for a BM and it would expand. so when i went for the haemoroidoctomy he removed it. it wasn't as a painful as haemoroids so i just lived with it. seems weird but nice not having lumps and skintags there. if it's painful ask your doctor to remove it.

• Posted

I suffer the same darling. theyre so painful and so hard to clean. i didnt expect that after the horror of the op x

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I had surgery 21st August. and yes had a look about 8 days post op and had a large skin tag which worried me and p****d me off to be honest! over time it has shrunk considerably. it's in the same spot where the external haemorrhoid was removed from. At this stage I'm happy to leave it. not causing me too much grief.

• Posted

would you mind me asking whether you now feel 100% recovered? my surgeon indicated 6-8 weeks full recovery which would be pretty much where you are currently. so wondering how you are feeling overall. thank you

• Posted

hey I'd say about 80% recovered. I still get the occasional insatiable itch in that area. Mucous in stool and some after a bm. It still feels raw in some areas I'd say about an other month and I'll be 100 percent as in back to normal. Keeping hydrated is my biggest goal and helps the most. I'm only taking softners when i don't go- normally going to the loo once a day. I'm still using baby wipes and medicated wipes. I've noticed a great change in toilet habits only takes about max 5 min to go whereas before the surgery would take a solid 20minutes to evacuate. Keeping on top of my fibre has helped too. I've added Psyllium husk to my juices or have it on my oats in the morning. I still prefer going to the toilet at home or family members places. I hope this helped. I'm out and about back at uni and running around.

• Posted

thanks for the update and happy to hear you are almost there 😃

so far i have manged to keep my BMs to once a day through my recovery which def helps. i take 1 movicol sachet and 1tsp of Normafibe. i took this pre op as recommended by my surgeon and its amazing .. no bloat, gas which i experienced with other products like metamucil, benefibre). my main issue is a dull ache post BM. the bm itself is fine but the after ache lasts hours. i do ice and hot water bottle and eventually it goes. did you experience that as well?

• Posted

Yup once i had passed the motion instant pain that was intense for about an hour. I used ice & local gel

(lignocaine) to numb area.

Jumping straight into bath after wiping helped the most. i also used heat so wheat bag which i sat on with undies and clothes on. My bum would ache some days for a couple of hours going once a day helped. in the beginning i was going up to three times a day. Wishing you the best with your recovery! each day it gets a little better

• Posted

i had my follow up appointment today. he thinks i may need a little tweek as he put it as i am still rushing to bathroom 4-5 times per day and cannot hold bm. he wants to see me again in 8 weeks as he said this may improve.

• Edited

Hi Mary,

i know this is years later but I'm having a very similar experience. wondering how long it took for the skin tag to finally go away. i am 20 days post op and it hasn't gone down since day 9.

very anxious and scared because i had the surgery because i didnt like the appearance in the first place 😦

please let me know! would greatly appreciate 😃

elisabeth

• Posted

hi Elisabeth, has your skin tag shrunk by now? i hope you tell me something nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.