Laser PVP treatment

Posted , 11 users are following.

64 years of age, in February 2017, completing the Phoenix marathon in 2.33 I went into AUR...ER visit, follow-up visits with a local urologist and trying to learn about prostate problems from the internet and this forum from thousands of men in similar situations followed. My PSA was close to 10, the urologist wanted to do a Turp, biopsy. I declined. Had an MRI taken in Houston which came out fine. Was curious about Urolift, but due to the median lobe the urologist declined. Thought about Laser ablation, came across about a new trial method called I-tind (it is approved in Israel, Spain and Switzerland) and now under trial in the USA. Due to the median lobe growing into the bladder this was not an option neither. Finally decided for a laser PVP procedure in Houston and had it done on Monday October 30, 2017. I felt an immediate improvement from day 1, had almost no blood in urine from the beginning. Tissue was examined and tests came back negative, so all good. I hope the recovery continues well and the stream and flow will keep up. The doctor mentioned that there is a 33 % chance of retrograde ejaculation. I think the outlook to be able to relieve normally again is worth the risk. I woke up after surgery, had no pain at all, never took any pain medication and urination was painfree from the beginning, not even burning. Now, if everybody could have my type of experience, I can only recommend to do it without fear. If anybody wants to hear more in detail, don't hesitate to contact me, I gladly pass it on! Good luck to all of you! Also, thank you for all the postings which helped me getting more understanding of what other men go through.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You will probably have 100 percent chance of retrograde ejaculation.
    • Posted

Maybe, maybe not...not too worried at this point. My problem had actually caused an almost total retrograde ejaculation prior to the procedure. My young days are gone, I have kids and grandkids so that base is covered. We shall see...as I'm confident, I'll post the result once I think about sex again...how about that

• Posted

Congratulations on your seemingly successful operation and thanks for sharing. Keep us updated. Hank
  • Posted

Congratulations, Emil. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery.
  • Posted

Emil     I don't where your doctor got his information  9 out of top 10 procedure cause retro ejaculation.  Among other side effects.  Urolift is the only one that does not cause any.  Some doctors do urolift with the median lobe you just have to put in more clips.  I hope you continue to have good results.  Maybe you will be one of the lucky few.  Doctor to not consider the male ejaculation a sexual function.  That is why they try to get you to have a turp or a laser.  At your age you seam like your ok with it.  At 62 I may not be having anymore kids but I am not giving up anything just to pee a little better.......Good Bless  Ken      

• Posted

Urologists may not care about your retrograde ejaculation, but they sure might defend themselves against you providing a procedure that would cause you to be sterile .
    • Posted

I meant urologists might not like if you made them sterile. Try another procedure if available to avoid greenlight, if need be, than of course you must do it. 
    • Posted

Yes that is true MARK   I think sometimes they forget that they are men to and what they do to other men.  I know the goal is to pee better but if men were happy they would not be trying to come up with something better.  Some doctor do not want to change.  they do one thing and that's it. Have a good evening     ken 

• Posted

Yes that is true.  I think sometimes doctor forget they are men and what they are doing to other men.  If men were so happy with the other procedures.  They would not be trying to better them.  It will take time.  I am so happy I have the urologist I have  He's 38 and great  Ken

• Posted

Kenneth, you make a very salient point on this. Have you ever noticed you never fine a Urologist who confesses to have had BPH and had a TURP or Greenlight or Urolift or iTend even any procedure done on them? I guess Urologist just do not get BPH? They have never had to face the music for themselves?
    • Posted

Good morning John.  Maybe they don't get BPH problems.  You had a good outcome with FLA with Dr. K.  He helped you and many other men.  With no side effects.  It just get's me I would like to know where Emil doctor got his information 33% retro.  I think he was a good sale man.  And yes Emil is happy right now  I hope he stays that way.  Take care and have fun  Ken    

• Posted

Well we all know that you sale what you have in business.

Yes, you are correct that out all the men I know of that have now had FLA there are not any sexual side effects as a result of the procedure. That was my number 1,2, 3, and 4  concern. I looked at all of them and I did look for 20 months. I was very scared of the sexual side effects. I knew when I went to Houston for a consultation that I had found the answer for me. Doctor Karamanian met with me and my wife for an hour and then it was late so he closed his practice and stay with us for 2 more hours getting very detail into how and why the procedure is done without it causing sexual side effects. The very strange thing to me is that I had met with 9 different doctors around the country on procedure consultations  and Dr. Karamanian was the only one that would not ask for or take any money for the consultation he did with us. He does not charge to look at men's MRI's to see if they are a candidate for FLA or if they have cancer. I also know he spends a lot of time and effort traveling around presenting FLA to different medical groups including Urologist. As each of the men who have dealt with him will tell you he is one of a kind. It was hard for each of us to believe he was for real as he is so different from any other medical person we had ever dealt with.

We each have to pick our solution and the bottom line is if you wind up happy  then that was the right one for you. Jimjames has done very well with CIC and has helped a lot of men. Emil seems happy with PVP. I even have friend who tell me that are happy about the "dreaded" TRUP they have had years ago.

I am just a middle class person. My friend call me cheap. My Dad call me very thrifty. But I was not interest in what the treatments might cost pr if insurance would cover it  because I want money to not be part of the decision. I would borrow the money need. So, I promised my wife that we would worry about the money later.  I have borrowed and paid back a lot more than that in the past. I just knew I would have been a miserable person if I would have wound up with any of the sexual side effect that one can get from the prostate procedures offered right now. So, I am more than happy and I encourage each man to decide what he wants and follow that path.

But you are right about your feeling on the UROs. Sometimes I just felt like they looked at us as expendable old men who only need to be able to pee. Again, it is strange that you don't meet any of them that have had first hand experience, compassion and can give the testimonial.

But, now I only wish to help others as I know how hard it is to get information. I hope anyone who has information to share will continue to provide that support as they have their treatments. We are all in this together and as I said, they sell what they have. And sometimes, some of them stretch the truth and the percentages.  I will stay and tell my story to anyone who it is of value to. Then they can do as the chose.

• Posted

Ken,

I believe it is quite possible that this doctor, employing this procedure with a high degree of skill and carefulness can achieve a low (33%) or retro.  Conversely, a less skilled doctor who rushes to do a procedure and get to lunch or dinner, and who uses a procedure ill-suited for median lobe reduction, may have a 99% or worse rate of retro for his patients.  There are lots of urologists, and they are not all equally good.

Joke:  Do you know what they call the guy who graduates dead last in his medical school class?  Answer:  "Doctor"

• Posted

Glad to hear you're getting good results from your PVP procedure. In the end if you're satisfied with the results that's all that matters. Please keep us updated on your progress. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.