Laser PVP treatment

Posted , 11 users are following.

64 years of age, in February 2017, completing the Phoenix marathon in 2.33 I went into AUR...ER visit, follow-up visits with a local urologist and trying to learn about prostate problems from the internet and this forum from thousands of men in similar situations followed. My PSA was close to 10, the urologist wanted to do a Turp, biopsy. I declined. Had an MRI taken in Houston which came out fine. Was curious about Urolift, but due to the median lobe the urologist declined. Thought about Laser ablation, came across about a new trial method called I-tind (it is approved in Israel, Spain and Switzerland) and now under trial in the USA. Due to the median lobe growing into the bladder this was not an option neither. Finally decided for a laser PVP procedure in Houston and had it done on Monday October 30, 2017. I felt an immediate improvement from day 1, had almost no blood in urine from the beginning. Tissue was examined and tests came back negative, so all good. I hope the recovery continues well and the stream and flow will keep up. The doctor mentioned that there is a 33 % chance of retrograde ejaculation. I think the outlook to be able to relieve normally again is worth the risk. I woke up after surgery, had no pain at all, never took any pain medication and urination was painfree from the beginning, not even burning. Now, if everybody could have my type of experience, I can only recommend to do it without fear. If anybody wants to hear more in detail, don't hesitate to contact me, I gladly pass it on! Good luck to all of you! Also, thank you for all the postings which helped me getting more understanding of what other men go through.

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Emil,

Congratulations!! that is great news. Glad you had such a great experience. See in you are in Houston which makes me curious, I take it you did speak with Dr. Karamanian about the Focal Laser Ablation procedure for BPH and decided against it? He is right there on Fannin Street. 

Bottom line is you made your choice and you are happy. That is wonderful. You will be back to running soon. The RE percentage changes are absolutely higher with PVP but it is not as bad as those BPH symptoms and if you get that under control you are a winner. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Posted

You know this has been an odyssey until coming to a decision. I did speak with Dr. Karamanian and I also consider him a wonderful, caring person and an excellent professional. He analyzed my MRI and gave me confidence to not do the biopsy while the urologist recommended it vividly. I was decided to do FLA, but in the end followed the recommendation of Dr. Gonzalez. Every procedure has its risks and that is exactly what Dr. Karamanian told me when we first met. We are all different and respond differently and with doctors being humans as well, they might do perfect on one patient and completely miss on another one. In a more perfect world we would not face these problems and maybe in a 100 years from now, we use stemcells to cure ourselves and people will say that it was barbaric when they cut out tissue. On the other side we are better off than the men who suffered of BPH 100 years ago. To enjoy sex is of course a great thing to have and we'll see how that plays out in a couple weeks, I guess. Meanwhile, I hope it's gonna work of course. Most importantly, whatever decision one takes on this subject, be comfortable with it and don't rush into anything.

• Posted

I fully agree with you Emil. You will do well in this and congratulations. Hang in there and have a great recovery. It takes time in all of these procedures for the inflammation to go down completely. I am very very happy for you.
  • Posted

Hi emil, Your post was very interesting. Where you able to have a natural void before surgery? Also were you in complete urine retention?

Thanks for your response.

frank

• Posted

Hi Frank,

I had a complete retention in February for a brief time, but recovered slowly again. It took me almost 3 months to get back to normal. During that time, i had to get up at night and it took me sometimes up to an hour to void 200 ml. I was able to void naturally, did selfcathing if time was an issue, a few times per month. With a lot of patience it came back, although voiding took time. According to the urologists my bladder had a chronic inflammation. It remains to be seen if that recovers now after the procedure. How is your case?

• Posted

Hi Emil, I have dedicated my life to CIC cathing. It's not all that bad i have been in complete retention over 1 year. Urologist want to do Turp, however i did not pass my urodynamics test ,they won't say if surgery will fix my problem? Hou old are you Emil?

frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.