Last 5mgs the hardest....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm new here. I've been coming off 40mg for the past few weeks and been absolutely fine! This last 5mg is killing me. Brain zaps, weepy, etc. I'm taking crumbs of pills to take the edge off. Should I just stop and ride it out? How bad can it be to come off 5mg??

Does anybody have any suggestions for me.

Thank you.

Cheeks

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Coming off meds in a few weeks is why you’re having this issue with brain zaps, being weepy etc. I spent a whole year coming off 20mg by 5mg reductions and that way I didn’t get any withdrawal effects at all - not one.

Also 40mg is the maximum dose and many people struggle on this dose, and find that lowering it rather than coming off makes a huge difference.

Its quite dangerous coming off meds so quick plus you’re more likely to relapse. Your brain is missing the meds and its going to have an effect on your body and emotions big time.

Why the hurry?

First time I came off I did it in too big a drops over about 6 months and had brain zaps, weepiness etc so even that was too quick. I was fine for a year off meds but had to restart due to family health which stressed me. Second time coming off the meds as said I did it slower and it was a breeze.

If you want to stop feeling ill I can only suggest you reinstate your meds by 5mg at a time until you're on maybe 15mg or 20mg and stay on that until you’ve stabilized (this can be months) until you’re ready to try again.

If however you want to carry on and come off then get yourself a pill crusher then half the 5mg. Divide up the powder and take half which will be around 2.5mg and wait on that 4-8 weeks, then lastly 1.25mg for 4-8 weeks then stop.

You won’t know if its exactly half the pill that you take but over 2 days you’ll still be getting the full amount. It didn’t affect me anway.

Unfortunately you’re not going to feel well for a while yet unless you reinstate some meds short term.

• Posted

it was only the last 5g i had a problem with. I'm completely off now, zaps gone. everybody is different. good luck with yours!

• Posted

hopefully you wont get delay withdrawals like most folks get.good luck for now everybody is different.

• Posted

Glad you're finally off them. As Lois says, watch out for the delayed withdrawal, but hopefully you won't get that xx.

I'm not on meds anymore - been off a long time.

• Posted

The delayed withdrawals hit about a month afterwards. Then theyre reslly bad. When i was tapering, I stayed on the decrease dose for 4-6 weeks before tapering further. My currebt dose at 10mg sure does make days better. After I have recovered, I will taper with the intent of going off completely. However, I know to be patient and wait for my bidy to heal.

• Posted

aah, yes i see. i did cut down quickly with a view to starting duloxetine but I've heard that's even worse so I'm not inclined now. i wanted it for its pain relief properties.

I'm pretty sure these are the withdrawal symptoms I'm having now, it has been quite bad. just hope it's nearly over!

thank you.

• Posted

it 7 to 8 weeks for me before withdrawal hits, from week 6 i get gradually worse then boom x

• Posted

When I came off first time over 6 months, even when I'd stopped meds my withdrawal symptoms lasted probably another 6 months ........

I had them mild, but they were still weird with the brain zaps and dizziness.

• Posted

i dropped by 5mg and have had severe withdrawal for over 12 months x

• Posted

Then it was too big a drop for you. You can drop by 2.5mg or 1.25mg. Everyone suits different doses, increases and withdrawals.

If you've had withdrawal symptoms for that long then I'd have increased to the previous dose and waited to stabilise again.

• Posted

7 to 8 weeks from when? last dose?

• Posted

from any dose change and if you do one after the other too soon it just compounds x

• Posted

does anybody get aching bones? can't tell if it's my arthritis or the meds. worse than usual.

• Posted

yes, constantly i was diagnosed with fibro after being on cit but it may be them causing it x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.