Lateral ligament repair and arthroscopy. Pain and swelling 9 months later. Anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I'm 333. I had two lateral ligaments reconstructed and arthroscopic surgery for extensive arthrofibrosis and talar dome lesion in July 2015. It's been complicated by four hips surgeries last year aswell and chronic blood pooling on same leg.

My ankle aches all the times and the ankle swelling is constant, never normal but gets worse when I use it more. I don't have CRPS but I do have blood pooling from being bed bound re my hips. I'm just wondering if my aching and swelling is ok as I get very tired. My surgery says it's scar tissue breaking down but gosh it's painful. Apart from ice, pain killers and elevation any other tips? It's tiring

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm sorry to hear of this Melissa. I'm getting massage on my foot to break up fascia and scar tissue. I have CRPS so I have to go slow. I'm 4.5 months in, so I'm just starting to get in my walker. Still  in chair mostly, but seeing progress. I'd talk to a massage therapist who deals with fascia, they need to do more than just rub you. It helps me. I wish you well. Also, do you do water therapy or baths??  Another good one..... 👣🌞
  • Posted

Hi all

Thanks for your advice and experiences.

My ankle was badly damaged when my left hip was subluxing over and over (3-4 times a day). The muscles in my leg tried to stabilize my hip each time as my left hip in-particularly got worse and worse, it would spasm so badly I'd be almost screaming. It was excruciating and was bed bound a long time. My ankle got the brunt and would flick back and forth, my toes would split and get pulled in opposite directions so my ankle etc was badly damaged and became unstable. I've had all my ops to fix it all but still have alot of pain on a day to day basis hence fed up with pain etc.

So I guess it'll all take time but after 4 years of all this I want to hide in a hole sometimes. Anyway, thanks for your advice. I do my PT, hydrotherapy, pain relief, I use a frame because my hips are still super weak. Apparently I'll never walk normally... Sigh

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.