Laughter's Cure

Posted , 15 users are following.

OK I'm not sure that this thread will be allowed to run, if it is it will be doing better than any of us at the moment, but here goes.

If it raises a laugh or even makes you smile that would be good, they say that laughter is the best medicine to make us feel better and I agree.

So if it can stay then I think a thread that you can post funny anecdotes of some part of your pre op process or your recovery then cheer us up and get scribbling, I'm sure there are loads out there.

Nothing too painful :-)

1 like, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Does throwing us over a persistently annoying hospital physio count?

i kept saying I felt sick and she kept pushing me to 'walk through it' then without warning I chucked up all over her shoes! 

Six months on and and still finding sitting a pain in the bum, excuse the pun! But I can do so much more without pain, so mustn't grumble.

kate x

• Posted

I so wish when then say tell me if it hurts,

And we do and they say, no really hurts.

I could do just that

• Posted

Hi I remember coming round in recovery and asking my nurse if everything was alright ,or had I

died ,no your fine Anna, what a winkle,and yes

Kate I still have rock in bum nearly 5months heho

Love to all. 😷 😱 🙌 🎄

• Posted

It's perhaps cheating because I already posted this one before as a tip - dropped the grabber on the floor... how do you get the grabber off the floor when you can't bend down to get anything and are supposed to be picking things up with the grabber? I spent 20 minutes trying to toss it up, shuffle it up, push it around etc... then I bent over and picked the damned thing up!

• Posted

Well I have just read them and had a good laugh.

Mine isn't so funny, went to a particular outlet today to buy a sit on your chair cycle because physio said there great for improving muscle tone.

I think great twice a day 5/10 mins soon have the thigh's of a goddess,

Hubby gets it out the box looking puzzled.

Do you get the peddles with it he says????

No peddles in the box, maybe someone is trying to tell me something.

• Posted

I agree I have laughed through most of my pain and people think I'm crazy!! but I Laugh to Keep from Crying to keep my spirits up to fight through the pain I'm 11 weeks out I stop smoking to have the surgery then I started smoking again and I believe I set my healing back because it's more uncomfortable now steal I laugh

• Posted

So glad you also find laughter helps, but to be honest smoking really stops the healing process big time, also it encourages infectious, stop the smoke at least till your given the all clear from consultant.

But better still stop for good, did you know smoking supresses your sense of humour

• Posted

LOL you are so right, I stopped seven years ago on Christmas day, best thing I have ever done health wise
    • Posted

I'm recovering well but I have to admit that everyone thought I was crazy with the amount of really bad jokes I developed about my condition before the op. But you know what used to get to me? Really get to me? I am parked in the disabled space by the office door and it takes me a good five minutes to get out of the car with a struggle, walking with two crutches the minute distance to my office, struggling through doors - and every single person would ask me how I was this morning!!!! I eventually deveoped a good line in "Well I woke up breathing, which I consider a plus"... but what is it about Brits that we ask such a daft question ?every single day when we know that we desperately do not want the person to answer the question truthfully??!

• Posted

OMG that has hit the nail on the head, I am asked most days either by phone or text. Are you walking yet, what part of I want walk don't they understand, I now say yes and watch there face next time they see me.

I love your answer, will have to try it

• Posted

My other technique was to answer the question.

"Well I have osteonecrosis in the left hip on top of osteoarthritis (fill in details of pain etc); the right hip has osteoarthritis (fill in more details); the spine has spinal stenosis due to..... and this means....; and the left ankle is....."

?Twenty minutes of that and NOBODY ever asks again!

• Posted

Yes like if you watch doctors programmes on TV and they take a seat and the doctor says How are you ? Nearly all says fine thanks .. And methinks then why are you in the doctors ??!
    • Posted

Too right ... Went to a works Xmas meal last night with one crutch to about 20 queries of How are you ?

Been thro hell and still in pain repeated 20 times resulted in general stunned silence 😜😜😜

• Posted

Yea but the stunned silence was because an hour later you were dancing on a table !!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.