Laxido alternatives

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies

So we all know it's really important not to get bunged up during recovery... I am struggling to get the balance right. I am eating well - lots of fruit and veg - and taking one sachet of laxido at night. However, it is making me bloated and uncomfortable and I got caught short this morning, which was upsetting, and didn't quite get to the loo in time.

Are there gentler alternatives I can try?

Helen

Xx

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you still on opiates?  If you aren't then you might be fine with something milder like fiber supplements.

It isn't as strong, but Benefiber is easy to take (dissolves in liquid, no taste or texture) and works as a mild stool softener.  It's just like adding a little extra fiber to your diet.  I buy a generic brand at costco (optifiber) and it works.  I don't think it is strong enough to couteract opiates, but it is helpful for more normal constipation.

There are also things like psylium husk that work well, but that is harder to take.  It does not disappear in liquid.  It absorbs liquid to become gel-like and has a gritty texture.  I make extra runny oatmeal and add psylium husk to it (1TBs sucks up about 1/4 cup of liquid) and it's tolerable.  It's supposed to be very good for you.  Heart health etc.

This is a good time of year for plums, too, and those are great especially if you don't care for prunes.  Lots of other good high fiber food (beans, lettuce, brocolli, high fiber cereal, oatmeal, fruits&veg in general).

I used miralax, which is peg 3550, and that works well for me but I think that is one of the active ingredients in Laxido so that won't help you. 

• Posted

Thank you Dorry C. Lots of alternatives to try. I am still on codeine but 45-60 mg per day as I need it. Laid off the laxido yesterday and all ok so far.

:-)

• Posted

Helen,

?I'm surprised you're on codeine as that's known to cause constipation. If you can, I would stick to paracetomol & ibuprofen. I'm a midwife and we never give codeine to our ladies that have had any vaginal stitches. We also give them lactulose & fybogel, as previously discussed.

?Sue xx

• Posted

Sometimes we just have to be careful with laxatives. They are often necessary following surgery but more so after a rectocele repair but some laxatives can make the stool "bulky" and difficult to pass. That's why drinking lots of water can help. Fibre in particular can cause bulky stools but with extra fluids it can definitely help.

• Posted

Codeine is the analgesic of choice for post op pain and it's considered perfectly OK along with laxatives if it makes patients constipated. Pain hinders recovery and very often paracetamol alone isn't sufficient, I know I couldn't have coped with only paracetamol and I know the Urogynaecologists I've worked with always prescribe codeine or Tramadol on discharge from hospital. That with paracetamol is very effective.

• Posted

I was taking ibuprofen and paracetamol but I don't get on with ibuprofen and it wasn't strong enough. I am now trying to reduce the codeine gradually and aware of the constipation risk. It's all a balancing act isn't it!!

Helen

Xx

• Posted

Oh that's a shame about the ibuprofen. You mustnt be in pain hun. My biggest fear was not having a bm, mainly because my consultant said " you must not strain or you will split your stitches"!! Omg...put the fear of god into me! I also have IBS so I know exactly how much fruit etc I need to help with bm.

Sue x

Xx

• Posted

Continue taking the codeine if you need it helen and don't be in pain. Ibuprofen is rarely sufficient to ease this sort of post op pain even with the paracetamol. Research has shown that pain hinders recovery so it's not something I've made up. It tenses the muscles around the wound and affects blood supply, it also makes you feel very unwell and stops restful sleep which is extremely important. Don't reduce your medication because you think it's the right thing to do, keep on top of the pain. I remember patients being hospitalised for more than a week following prolapse repair and you were regularly given codeine or something similar for pain and then discharged with a weeks supply. Just because you're at home doesn't mean you're recovering any better than 15 years ago x

• Posted

Hi Matron,

That's an interesting perspective isn't it. Operating techniques may have changed but human beings haven't!! I do find the pros and cons of active recovery a confusing issue to navigate, but I guess it's not the mobilisation that does the damage but the 'doing it without adequate pain relief'. I also think we Brits don't help ourselves with our stoicism

either!

Helen

• Posted

Just don't be a martyr, remember this operation  is classed as major surgery so treat it as such. You'll benefit in the future I promise.

• Posted

If you are still on coedine something stronger may be needed.  Maybe people react differently but I have always found coedine very constipating and a high fiber diet isn't enough.   I hope you can find a way to stay keep things under control without the side effects that are bothering you.

Oh, glycerin suppositories can be helpful too.  They make it much easier to go without straining.  If things firm up a bit too much while you are trying to get the balance right they can be a real help.

• Posted

Codeine is most effective when taken with paracetamol. Some patients don't get constipated when taking codeine, I don't and I know I'm not the only one. Some research has shown that there are a group of people who don't get any relief from it. We all react differently.

• Posted

I don't think codeine does constipate me either, if anything my issues are in the other direction. The gas and discomfort I am getting is starting to get me down a bit and I am wondering if this is all the bruising and swelling affecting my bowel and causing the sensitivity.

Trying dulcoease now to see if that suits me better.

• Posted

helen you may need some Buscopan which is available over the counter at the chemist or on prescription. 
    • Posted

Ok. I have taken that in the past for period pain and remember it being effective. Would that be an additional med or to substitute?

Helen

• Posted

You can take it with your other medication because it isn't an analgesic so it won't interfere with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.