LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone and chronic pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone for a few months now. It's been a bumpy road and the journey has had both positive and negative points.

I've been adjusting the dose but in so far the 3 main benefits I can claim from it are:

- some sleep improvement;

- less pain intensity;

- apparent normalising effects on some blood markers such as LDH (lactate dehydrogenase).

However I feel exhausted to an unbearable point and continue prone to inflammation. I've decided to continue treatment with LDN because I've read extensively about it and many authors say it may take up to a yer to come to fruition.

Meanwhile I've resorted to naturopathic medicine and I'm under treatment as well.

We're all different in the way we react to medications and because I've been reading so much suffering here with so little hope of remission that I thought of encouraging you of not giving up and trying new things.

I would like to share with you a recent study on LDN whose Abstract is:

"The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic painJarred Younger, [corresponding author]  Luke Parkitny, and David McLain

Abstract

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has been demonstrated to reduce symptom severity in conditions such as fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and complex regional pain syndrome. We review the evidence that LDN may operate as a novel anti-inflammatory agent in the central nervous system, via action on microglial cells. These effects may be unique to low dosages of naltrexone and appear to be entirely independent from naltrexone’s better-known activity on opioid receptors. As a daily oral therapy, LDN is inexpensive and well-tolerated. Despite initial promise of efficacy, the use of LDN for chronic disorders is still highly experimental. Published trials have low sample sizes, and few replications have been performed. We cover the typical usage of LDN in clinical trials, caveats to using the medication, and recommendations for future research and clinical work. LDN may represent one of the first glial cell modulators to be used for the management of chronic pain disorders.

Keywords: Anti-inflammatory, Chronic pain, Fibromyalgia, Glial cell modulators, Low-dose naltrexone, Microglia"

Younger, Jarred, Luke Parkitny, and David McLain. “The Use of Low-Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a Novel Anti-Inflammatory Treatment for Chronic Pain.”Clinical Rheumatology 33.4 (2014): 451–459. PMC. Web. 13 July 2015.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Morning Teresa how are you today? I have spoken to my gp about LDN, I am unable to take it as Im alergic to opoids.I cant take anything with that in because of the bad reactions I get. I will keep using my trusted hot waterbottles take care gentle hugs
    • Posted

Hi Karen,

see... who said LDN has any opioids?  rolleyes It hasn't. In fact LDN is an opioid agonist see wiki : An opioid antagonist, or opioid receptor antagonist, is a receptorantagonist that acts on opioid receptors. Naloxone and naltrexone are commonly used opioid antagonist drugs which are competitive antagonists that bind to the opioid receptors with higher affinity thanagonists but do not activate the receptors.

So, perhaps by explainig to your doctor that LDN is not an opioid but an opioid agonist, that is that it neutralises any opioids you may take, you'll be more lucky. 

XX

• Posted

Hi Teressa Ive just been reading up on it, it was not my normal dr I saw this dr was really young looked like she had only just come out of med school. she didnt see know what she was doing or on about. waist of time effort in going. so going to see my usual dr when I can see what she says take care xx
    • Posted

Yeah, but I would read some more meanwhile. Docs don't spend much time reading about inexpensive generics that few people know about. You can always say that you have this friend that's taking it  (true, right?)  with some positive results. 
    • Posted

yes...agree....naloxone is used to "bring pts out of overdoses" ....xx
  • Posted

Just been doing a bit of reading up on LDN, with websites like the LDN Research Trust.  The UK is always so behind in these matters.  Gotta love the NHS eh.  I was particularly surprised at how cheap in comparison to other meds this option is.  They quoted something like £300 pa - .82p a day, compared to many thousands for the 'go to' drugs of choice currently used for MS etc.  Farcical really that given the well documented evidence in the US for example, we (the UK) have instigated clinical trials so that doctors can easily prescribe it.  It was very interesting to read about how it is believed to work by inhibiting endorphins so that the body produces more. Fascinating stuff - here's hoping the LDN Research Trust continues to explore this treatment so it is more widely understood and used. 

Good luck Teresa.

• Posted

oops fibro brain - should have read 'We have [u]not[/u] instigated clinical trials......etc', missed out the word 'not'.  Wish my brain would stop focussing on the pain and free itself up to think properly smile
    • Posted

morning Loxie how are you today . My fibro fog is really bad too my concentration is quiet bad at the min.Had uiet a bad muscel spasam this morning couldnt move for 15mins, hey ho onwards upwards take care gentle hugsmile 
    • Posted

Hiya Kaz, those spasms are hateful aren't they - just so life restricting.  I have horrid upper arm pain today, both arms but the right is the worst.  They just feel like lead weights and as well as the pain I have no strength in them, cant lift anything etc.  Tried changing the bed linen first thing this morning and  I couldn't even lift the duvet cover out of the airing cupboard sad I feel so flippin useless and invalided (if that's even a word).  So frustrating when I know that there's no life threatening cause for this inability and pain - I even keep checking my bicep muscles to see if they're wasting away - which they aren't, but it feels like my arms are getting weaker and weaker and I should be seeing evidence of that.  Aside from the pure exhaustion caused by continual pain, my biggest issue is now my frustration and anger at being so 'unable' - difficult to explain to anyone who doesn't have this what that feels like.  When I had a major accident a few years ago I was in a wheelchair for about a year and there was a ton of things I couldnt do but somehow I worked round it and found ingenious ways of coping and adapting and tried to make it a bit of an adventure really.  This is so different - I can see I am physically still able bodied yet nothing works properly and it's so difficult to know at any point what I can and can't do, it changes daily and hits suddenly at times.  I just want to scream in temper at times.  I went to answer my work phone a short while ago and couldn't pick up the handset with my right arm, just couldnt lift a lightweight plastic item with no weight.  Then half an hour later I moved the kitchen table a few inches - heavy oak table, no problem, no pain.  WTF - this is so silly.

Sorry to hear you're having foggy issues too today - i'm convinced mine is just that my mind is side tracked by the pain and is refusing to multi task on anything else.  All this just makes me more determined to beat this nasty nasty sprite come what may.

• Posted

Hi Loxie Im with you on how your feeling, I feel totally utterly useless. Im trying my hardest where house work is concerned. Bu trying to lift things and grasp things Im just in sheer agony I keep dropping things, Ive got irong that needs doing but cant lift and grip the iron. Ive tried several times this morning.The most upsetting thing Im finding at the min is I cant hold knife fork, so my husband got me some cutlery thats designed for people with disabilitys, I tried using it last night and still struggled with that. my husband is having to cut my food all up last night I thought he was going to have to  feed me? I hate what affect fibro is having on our bodys and state of mind.then you get idiot drs saying it doesnt existmad that makes me so flaming mad.My fibro changes daily I never know what to expect. on the plus side I managed to get 7hrs sleep last night so that was abonus and much welcomed. all we can do is plod on the best we can. take care loxie gentle hugs x
    • Posted

In here no one that I know of precribes it for this purpose. I had to do homework and go to my GP well documented so that he could agree on prescribing it. For some reason that I don't understant it's much cheaper in here... I bought it in liquid form (20 little bottles box) and I pull it out with a seringe to get the right amount. The standard price is 30 euros and with the NHS discount is 9 euros and it's enough for almost 8 months. So inexpensive indeed. Nothing could compare pricewise.
    • Posted

On the subject of sleep - mine gets disturbed badly by the arm pain, which wakes me up then I'm agitated and cant get back to sleep. My doctor wanted to prescribe sleeping tablets which I dont want as they affect me during the day too and she said not getting enough sleep would affect growth hormone which means muscles aren't repairing as they should do. Round and round in circles eh.  Anyhow, I've started to take Vit D3 and was advised to take them at night as they can make you drowsy.  Good news is that they do make me drowsy and have really helped my sleeping pattern, I dont wake up nearly as much during the night and although that means I'm way more stiff in the morning, I am feeling slightly more refreshed.  Good news smile
    • Posted

thats good news loxiesmile so glad their helping you its good when you get some benefit from what your taking? How are you temperature wise the last few day my body has been that hot you could fry an egg on me.Ive windows open fan going back doot open ive like it since sunday sweat my forehead keeps dripping with sweat. 
    • Posted

I definitely don't cope well with the humid weather, even today which is dark and rainy and a little chilly, I still feel sort of hot and bothered internally.  I'm okay with just hot weather as long as its dry heat, as soon as the humidity level rises I feel awful.  Not just overheated by anxious and short tempered and totally wiped out. I need to move somewhere hot and dry smile just my luck I was born to live in England where the weather is the worst possible for our condition - cold and wet in the winter and hot and wet in the summer ....grrrrr
    • Posted

right now I wish I had a swimmingpool to jump into the joys of having fibro grrrrrr x
    • Posted

That is a ridiculously low cost, you'd think that alone would prompt some more research into it and prescribing it.  I could understand reticence if it were seriously high cost and experimental but it's ridiculous how slowly the wheels turn in catching up with treatments like this which are already documented and low cost.
    • Posted

But Loxie the opposite is true: big pharma subsidises research on new drugs  to make money (big, big money). They train doctors to impinge expensive drugs to patients. Who cares about naltrexone that's a cheap generic (it's been for a long time now)? It's like natural progesterone... there are no major studies because no one can earn a lot of money with it. So for the majority of these cases it's universities and health charities that taking the research lead with very little funding and means. No wonder the NHSs are bankrupt all over Europe...
    • Posted

spot on teresa! Our whole lives are dictated to by big pharma and the power they wield with funding.  GPs are now just pawns told what to think and do by NICE (here in the UK) who pockets huge sums from the pharmaceutical giants.  Hateful situation but one we're stuck with.
    • Posted

Morning to you ALL;  just wanted to add my  2 bob's worth here....just can't resist it.......The Australian Government, and all of it's beaurocrats want more people to settle in Central Aussie...wher it's b...hot and b..dry..averages around 48 degress cel during the day, and b.cold at night......do you want to emigrate and populate the area  (this is where you could all settle in our Fibro/ME commune)?????  ...cheesygrinBron...but sorry I like my comforts too much, so will only visit on the odd occassion
    • Posted

Deal! We set up a Health & Beauty SPA! cheesygrin

PS - Over 38ish cel. I get hysterical. Are there bugs there? Wild life? Kangaroos? 

• Posted

You Betcha!!!! lots and lots and lots......plus the snakes/wallabies.worms..whatever you want to put on the menue...biggrin
    • Posted

I'm up for it.  It has to be better than damp, cold, more damp, hot and humid, then damp and cold again.  The sun came out the other day and half of my town stood in the street and stared thinking it was an alien invasion - we see it so rarely ;-)cool
    • Posted

we definitly need our own health beauty hotel with all the luxury you could think of and gorgeous men waiting on uslol pampering to our every need.I dont like bugs snakes so weve definitly got to have a hotel see you all their gentle hugs
    • Posted

morning Teressa How are you today? are you managing to sleep ok. have you been doing anything nice at all. I went for a ride out yesterday but had to come back home didnt feel great. flameing fibro loves to spoil what ever we try to do. My laptop is on the way out so going to treat myself to a new one.hope your having a lovely weekend.and not too much pain. take care gentle hug xxxxxsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.