LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone and chronic pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on LDN - Low Dose Naltrexone for a few months now. It's been a bumpy road and the journey has had both positive and negative points.

I've been adjusting the dose but in so far the 3 main benefits I can claim from it are:

- some sleep improvement;

- less pain intensity;

- apparent normalising effects on some blood markers such as LDH (lactate dehydrogenase).

However I feel exhausted to an unbearable point and continue prone to inflammation. I've decided to continue treatment with LDN because I've read extensively about it and many authors say it may take up to a yer to come to fruition.

Meanwhile I've resorted to naturopathic medicine and I'm under treatment as well.

We're all different in the way we react to medications and because I've been reading so much suffering here with so little hope of remission that I thought of encouraging you of not giving up and trying new things.

I would like to share with you a recent study on LDN whose Abstract is:

"The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic painJarred Younger, [corresponding author]  Luke Parkitny, and David McLain

Abstract

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN) has been demonstrated to reduce symptom severity in conditions such as fibromyalgia, Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis, and complex regional pain syndrome. We review the evidence that LDN may operate as a novel anti-inflammatory agent in the central nervous system, via action on microglial cells. These effects may be unique to low dosages of naltrexone and appear to be entirely independent from naltrexone’s better-known activity on opioid receptors. As a daily oral therapy, LDN is inexpensive and well-tolerated. Despite initial promise of efficacy, the use of LDN for chronic disorders is still highly experimental. Published trials have low sample sizes, and few replications have been performed. We cover the typical usage of LDN in clinical trials, caveats to using the medication, and recommendations for future research and clinical work. LDN may represent one of the first glial cell modulators to be used for the management of chronic pain disorders.

Keywords: Anti-inflammatory, Chronic pain, Fibromyalgia, Glial cell modulators, Low-dose naltrexone, Microglia"

Younger, Jarred, Luke Parkitny, and David McLain. “The Use of Low-Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a Novel Anti-Inflammatory Treatment for Chronic Pain.”Clinical Rheumatology 33.4 (2014): 451–459. PMC. Web. 13 July 2015.

1 like, 75 replies

75 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Loxie you described me to a tee, with the weakness, the feeling of muscle wasting and yet doesn't show it, the pain and cramping..  My hands and arms become useless and like yourself I cannot grip anything, can't even hold a knife and fork, can't make my bed because I cannot grip blankets or sheets.  My legs are similar when walking, and oh my goodness even trying to walk up steps is horribly embarrassing.  No strength...  The brain messages don't get to the legs, no strength in them and the delayed reactions to moving my feet..  yes embarrassing.   And when you mentioned about not being able to pick up the phone handset, yet later you could move the kitchen table.....'That is me to a tee!'  It is just mind boggling.  The brain and spinal cord are complex things.  

Do you suffer with really hard muscles in the arms and legs? 

• Posted

Hi Deb, not happy for you obviously that you too have these issues but it's kind of reassuring to know I'm not alone in getting these symptoms.  My right arm is the bug bear at present and yes the muscles are very hard in the mornings, the whole arm is a dead weight and won't lift under its own steam, if I have to turn over in bed I have to lift it using my left arm. Once I've been up and about for a while it eases off considerably but is often still in pain.

Hi Teresa, I've had my vit levels tested and all seem within 'normal' range although I am taking Vit D3 supplements.  My doctor told me not to take magnesium as I have naturally low blood pressure and it is known to lower it further.  She reckoned my diet as described to her contained sufficient for my needs.  Shame really, as I read that it is also good for skin issues, which I've had as a symptom of my fibro problems.  I'm not anaemic according to the test results either.

• Posted

Hi Loxie,

magnesium is really, really important for fibro and also for menopause. I also have a tendency towards low blood pressure, especially in the summer when I get zoned out and dizzy. But I've learned recently 2 things: salt is not bad for you as longs it's raw sea salt (or himalaya pink salt). In fact it's necessary for the adrenals. When I have low bp I put a few crystals under my thongue. My internal Med. Doc. told me to drink more water to increase blood pressure. I didn't know this, but I believe it's working too. Maybe with some alternative strategies you coud take the magnesium too..

As far as the iron: have you had ferritin (iron reserves) checked? It's because sometimes the standard blood work says you're not anemic but if the ferritin is too low you'll also feel run down. I had over a month of bleeding and at a certain point I couldn't climb a flight of stairs  without getting breathless and about to fall down. Then I had the ferritin levels checked, they were low and I now have 1 year plan (1 year!) to restore the levels back to normal.

Teresa

• Posted

Morning Teresa.....added a vote because fingers Toooooo cold to type....xx
    • Posted

Thanks Teresa for the info re low blood pressure as I suffer from it too. I knew salt was not the big bogey substance that we were told and as I have slightly low sodium levels I try to take extra from time to time. I didn't know about drinking more water. How many litres would you typically drink per day? I always find I drink more during the summer than winter.

Cheers

Meg

🌺

• Posted

Hi Meg,

yep the best is unrefined, unbleached sea salt. Himalaya pink salt too.

I try to dring 2 liters and if possible bit more. Anything between 2 -3 liters.  I also feell like drinking much more in the Summer, of course. But tea and juices also count (not soft drinks or wine) and it's supposed to be good for cellulite too. 

Take care! Teresa.

• Posted

Thanks Teresa, will emulate you.

You take care as well.

Meg

🌺

• Posted

Hi Teresa how are you today, hope your not in too much pain? hope you have a lovely day take care gentle hugs xxsmile
    • Posted

Hi Karen, How sweet of you to ask... I'm a bit better (?) just so tired....

And you how are you doing? 

XXX T.smile

• Posted

Hi Teresa I have been in alot of pain with my legs today, but ploding on. Im stressed at the min as my dog not well I was up all night with him, feeling shattered but onwards upwards hope your not in too much pain. take care gentle hugsxx
    • Posted

Ohhh, Karen,  I'm so sorry! As if it wasn't bad enough to be in pain now the doggie....What's up with him/her? sad

I just hope you two get well very soon and i hope you're getting the help you need to overcome all this.

Sleep well, Gentle hugs. XXX. T.

• Posted

morning Tersea How are you today hun hope your not in too much pain. charlie is at the vets tomorrow he has had an ifection he got bit while in kennels by another dog? our vet thinks. Weve got no proof but the vet said the marks charlie has got are dog bites. he seems to be in pain him me both no sleep last night for either of us. hopeing vet can find out whats going on. hope you have a lovely weekend. take care gentle hugs xx 
    • Posted

HI Karen, 

In so far I'm not so bad to day, thanks. I'm sorry you're you can't rest ... I know pets are like children (I've got 2 cats) and we worry loads when they're not well. If Charlie's got an infection then he's got to have antibiotics, right? I've got a vet ( I mean they've got .smile..) that also uses homeopathy (he's a Professor at the faculty of veterinary medicine) and I always learn a lot from him (he bothers to explain the whys and hows of treatments) and Homeopathic Silicea is excellent for undetermined weakness, infection, etc. It expels whatever is making them sick. It's also great for people. I'll send you a PM with some info. It can be taken regardless of any antibiotics the animal is having at the same time. And if it doesn't work (unlikely) it doesn't haveany negative effects. If you could find it there... homeopathic remedies are usually very inexpensive.

Tico (my cat) recently has had an infection in an anal gland, nightmare! And besides Baytril (antibiotics) I gave him silicea for a few weeks and he's great now.

XXX

• Posted

many thank Teresa for the info Im going to look it up, I just want charlie fit weell again, Its breaking my heart to see him suffering I will do all I can to get him sorted pleased to hear your not doing too bad today, thats good to hear.Charlie is on antibiotics hes got 3 weeks worth hes at the vets in the morning will see what happens then. many thanks for the links you sent me. gentle hugs take care xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.