Left Alendronic Acid! Looking for supplement suggestions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had some concerns when I started AA a few months ago. Some may have been caused by taking an Aleve too soon before bed. Who knows? I didn't have the stomach pain a few weeks later. However, I noticed strange sounds coming from my jaw about three weeks ago and just odd sensations. I know an AA side effect was some horrible jaw tissue separation or something. This frightened me and I quit it. The little battle that goes on in my brain tells me this couldn't happen that soon! This time I felt that I needed to listen to the other voice that says to look for something safer to treat my bones.

So, I need to find good alternatives that don't necessarily have me taking a zillion supplements.

Looking for suggestions on a highly recommended course of action. At present, I'm not taking anything other than calcium in my diet.

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find my account of what I did.  May help you get started.  The only supplements I think are crucial ar Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 (not K1).  Mostly we can get what we need from food, although calcium is usually recommended and sometimes a few other things, like magnesium, if there isn't enough in the diet.  

• Posted

how do i see your jorney at healthu unlocked?
    • Posted

google the words I told you: healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey ,  and you should get the link quite easily.  
    • Posted

If you still can't do it I will private message the link.  

• Posted

Thanks. I did sign up for Health Unlocked, too. Do you recommend one supplier over another? I see suppliers like Natures Bounty at the grocery store and they often have two for one sales. Sounds like you don't take a calcium supplement.

• Posted

I do actually take calcium supplement.  Right now I take 1/3 the recommended daily dose of a special bones one which includes a lot of micronutrients as well, and the daily recommended dose of calcium citrate with magnesium and a couple of other things.  I take K2 and D3 separately, and also because I have osteoarthritis I take glucosamine, complete B complex and mixed tocopherol E (I alternate the B and the E - take on alternate days - as I'm not sure how good an idea it is to take a lot of either of them in the absence of a deficiency).  

• Posted

Sorry, I can't get into recommending brand names or anything.  Some grocery stores have dietitians or wellness counsellors on staff so you could consult with them.  There's a website called healthline which has good information about the various nutrients although it doesn't not discuss brands.  I find taking things in powder (inside a capsule) or oily form (also inside a capsule) depending what it is works much better for me personally than solid tablets for most things, including calcium.

• Posted

Thank you. I'll check those out. I've always had trouble with calcium pills and would take the bell capsules.

• Posted

LORRAINE,

I took alendronate for only 3 weeks and my bite changed because my teeth shifted. I also stopped. I am following the Canadian micronutrient protocol that moved the participants from osteopenia / osteoporosis into better bone density after one year. Interestingly they got their calcium from dietary sources but added strontium citrate. Exercise was encouraged.

I found I was too weak and fatigued to do more than taichi or slow treadmill. Lately at around 8mgm of pred I am able to do more exercise. I found easy exercises on youtube called growyoungfitness- perfect for pmr cripples like me.

• Posted

hi,

please would you explain the canadian micronutrient protocol?

I've not heard of it.

thanks

• Posted

Possibly this - google combination of micronutrients osteoporosis for a link to a study which showed that supplements and exercise could work as effectively as medication to improve bone density. I didn't follow the protocol exactly but what I did certainly helped my bone density. The study is just one arrow in the natural treatments quiver, natural in the sense that you aren't using a pharmaceutical to treat the bone thinning. It can be argued that supplements aren't really natural. But used sensibly they do not come with side effects.

• Posted

You will find the complete article but I don't know if it will turn up at the top of the search.

• Posted

thankyou Anhaga, i found the article easily..... very interesting.

Did you find the combinations of micronutrients in one supplement or did you use a number of supplements?

May i also ask what exercises you did?

thanks.

• Posted

I didn't really follow the protocol. I've been taking a separate Vitamin K2 supplement, plus my calcium capsules come in a formula for bones which includes many micronutrients. Occasionally I have soak in Epsom salts or take a magnesium capsule. Mostly I rely on a diet which is mostly vegetable based although I do eat cheese and yoghurt, and try to get enough protein.

I have a load of physio exercises collected over the years for various problems. I can still manage a few yoga exercises. I took up tai chi, though classes not offered these days and I keep forgetting now. I took up Nordic walking (keeps spine strong and posture upright) and often when I walk or even just around the house I wear a weighted vest.

All this is in my account which you can find google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.