Left Alendronic Acid! Looking for supplement suggestions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had some concerns when I started AA a few months ago. Some may have been caused by taking an Aleve too soon before bed. Who knows? I didn't have the stomach pain a few weeks later. However, I noticed strange sounds coming from my jaw about three weeks ago and just odd sensations. I know an AA side effect was some horrible jaw tissue separation or something. This frightened me and I quit it. The little battle that goes on in my brain tells me this couldn't happen that soon! This time I felt that I needed to listen to the other voice that says to look for something safer to treat my bones.

So, I need to find good alternatives that don't necessarily have me taking a zillion supplements.

Looking for suggestions on a highly recommended course of action. At present, I'm not taking anything other than calcium in my diet.

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have taken AA for 20 years and now am having to have all my lower teeth removed as my jaw is crumbling, Doc told me at my last meds review that AA would cause this problem and I just wanted to scream at him 'why didn't you warn me' ! Too late to fix the problem now but am seriously considering suing the NHS simply for funds to have implants put into my jaw !

Lucylasticsmiler

• Posted

Go to the Bone Health community in the website HealthUnlocked which is now much more active than this one. I'm sure you'll find support there. What you are experiencing is unconscionable. Some one, if not your doctor your pharmacist, at least ten years ago should have noticed you were on this drug too long.

It's a bit late to the game, but if you have not already been taking Vitamin K2 (not K1) you could consider it as it may help to protect you from further damage. It sends calcium to the bones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.