Left arm

Posted , 5 users are following.

I woke up around 3 AM and was lying on my back. I had a bad headache and went to grab my head but could not raise my left arm. So I took my right hand and grabbed arm, lifted it in the air. I let go to see if I could hold it in the air, and it immediately flopped down to my stomach. The feeling started coming back with about 3 minutes or so. But all day and night it feels really heavy. I have read other posts and am scared now. Should I be? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Go to hospital right away..please
    • Posted

I have an appointment with my doctor for 8:30 in the morning. I will definitely mention my episode especially since my arm still feels heavy.
    • Posted

Sounds like you need immediate attention !! Do not sleep on it, go to your emergency room pronto.....Will make diagnosis easier too if you go to your emergency department and appropriate medication can be administered to reduce any follow on problems....
  • Posted

Could be a TIA - go to ER and get an MRI. Could be a pinched nerve in neck also? There is a test to see where nerve damage is. Could you have had your head at an angle on the pillow that pinched your cervical nerve root? You should be under observation for now at least.
    • Posted

Thanks. I went to the doctor this morning and she didn't seem too concerned.
  • Posted

It could be a simple case of a dead arm, where you have been sleeping on it and stopped the blood supply to it.

Your GP should be able to diagnose it and may send you to A&E to have a CT scan.

• Posted

Thanks. I went this morning and the doctor didn't seem concerned.
    • Posted

My arm is much better. Not so heavy feeling anymore. Still very paranoid about going to sleep and waking up to my arm being "dead" again.
  • Posted

Hi AnnM

Hope you have been to Docs or hospital by the time you read this.

I know if I couldn't hold my arm up I would be round there PDQ.

Good luck and I hope it is something minor, but it is best to get it sorted to put your mind at ease.

Good luck

Win 

• Posted

Get help immediately to check it out. There are meds to help you, but not if you wait too long! 
    • Posted

AnnM,

Sorry your Doc dismissed you so lightly, is your arm still dead, if so see another Doc and tell them you aren't happy with the answer the Doc gave you.  Mind you I detest when Docs dismiss me.  When I was in my change I said to my Doc "if you said boo to me I'd cry" so he got his prescription pad out and wrote out drugs for depression.  So I went back and said "I wanted you to listen to me not dismiss me with pills"  so go back and tell them you do not like being dismissed xxx Go get em lol xx

• Posted

Thanks. Haha. My arm is much better. I'm still freaked out when I sleep. I'm scared of it happening again. So I try to sleep totally on my back just in case I laid on it wrong and then flipped over. Just not sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.