Left side of leg NUMB following TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

It has been nearly ten months now since my first TKR, and the left side of my calf remains NUMB. I am not experiencing this on my right leg on which I had my TKR about five months ago.

Will the numbness always be there?

Why such a difference between legs/numbness?

I have no difficulty MOVING either leg/knee, but the NUMB feeling just feels so weird!

Thanks!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Im sure infact positive its nerve damage! My physio and surgeon both told me the numbness would probably never go! I have a patch which i cant feel although i do get shooting nerve pain. I really think it varys between person and operation. A lot of symptoms different people say on here seem to vary person to person! We are all different! I hope it eases for you !
    • Posted

NUMB skin surely is better than PAIN, so I guess I should be thankful for THAT!

I'm sorry that you are having the shooting pains. My husband has pheriphial neuropathy due to his diabetes. He gets those shooting nerve pains out of the blue and yells out from them. Very sad.

He has had great success taking Alpha Lipoic Acid in capsule form. He takes 600 mg. each day. Several times he has either run out of it or forgotten to take it. He THEN really can tell how helpful it is TO REMEMBER to take it! It is an antioxidant. It calms his CRAZY nerves! It takes awhile to kick in. Certainly worth it to try!

• Posted

Have you tried massaging the area I go to a massage therapist I have the same if you put it is located on the upper thigh and I feel that the massaging and he compressions it does help with the tightness and the numbness . Ask your doctor for more therapy is necessary I also do bass with Epson salt Jubilee some of the pain and numbness good luck !!!
  • Posted

Sorry for typos. ..I meant Epson salt......I don't know how the other word came about
  • Posted

I was thrown from a horse when I was 14, 42 years ago and badly bruised my right knee. Ever since the skin on that knee has been numb. It is the most painful knee and I'm currently waiting for an mri scan to see if the oral steroids that I've been taking for over a year have damaged inside the joint. I have suffered with pain in the knee for around 15 years and wonder if any damaged was caused by the fall.
    • Posted

A fall can cause PLENTY of trouble! My cousin fell six months after her PKR. She broke her femur and had surgery on it as well as surgery on her shoulder. Last week was her first week to walk again, and she FELL AGAIN! No more broken bones but it scared her very much. She says she is back to square one on her rehab.

I hope things will be better for you real soon.

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, 

i too have numbness on my left leg, side do and top of knee, as well as small amount goi g down left outside leg. Also, on left leg, inside , above ankle. Dr. Says can't imagine how I could have numbness down ther, and takes no responsibility for it. Just dismissed me. Think he was afraid they messed up and won't address it!

the other numbness, they say it could last a year or so. I had ,eat TKR in early December. 

Nooe that helps.

damy 

• Posted

I think you need a second opinion but it's difficult because they tend to stick together
    • Posted

It ALWAYS helps to know that others have experienced similar things!

The numbness doesn't really bother me or give me pain, for which I'm grateful. I know the TKR surgery is pretty brutal, so a lot gets moved around in there!

I hope you aren't having any pain with the numbness.

• Posted

No, I do not have pain from the numbness. It just feels weird, though I am getting used to it.

sorry for all the typos in previous message.

here in New England it snowed today!! 25 degrees!!i was so achy , so resorted to Aleve. I try not to take any meds on a regular basis. More afraid of the side affects.

• Posted

Snow here, too, in NE Ohio! Temps in the 30s. VERY ACHY day today for me! Wrapped up in my polar fleece throw, drank hot tea and read, watched TV and visited patient.info! Took Ibuprofen.

Glad you don't have pain with the numbness.

• Posted

Idid laundry, made a pot of soup, cleaned up and rested after. We were supposed to go out tonight but canceled because of the weather. It's depressing to have this kind of weather on april4th. Guess winter didn't think it had hit us hard enough this year. !! Can't seem to sleep tonite, though I'm not in pain. Probably didn't wear myself out enough today!

i know ur a nite owl, but I'm not , usually. If I don't get some sleep , I'll never want to get up and have hair appointment this a.am. 

I am so afraid to have other knee done , now that I know what it's like. 

Did you feel that way?

• Posted

Hi Damy!

Had my four hours sleep and am WIDE AWAKE! I'd LOVE a nice big glass of ice water but can't have anything because I get an impacted wisdom tooth taken out at 10:30am this morning. They are putting me under, so no food or drink. Sure would LOVE that ice water!!!

Actually my SURGICAL leg felt SO MUCH BETTER even right after surgery and in the following days than it HAD felt for years! (My big issue with my first leg done ( left) was all the swelling and the extreme heaviness of the leg. I have mentioned before how it felt like a TREE TRUNK filled with CEMENT! )

It was doing well after the swelling finally went down in about two months, and the RIGHT ONE was holding back the left one. At my check-up I made my appointment for surgery on #2. I couldn't wait to have TWO good knees!

Fortunately #2 went really well. In the recovery room I was able to move it back and forth, up and down...I was completely shocked that I could do that! I was up walking that evening with my walker and the next day walked all the way back from physical therapy. I had minimal swelling which really surprised me. Right knee has been a real trooper! 😁

I had such terrible pain prior to surgery that I just was on a quest to BE DONE with pain.

This shoulder pain of mine is VERY UNWELCOME!!! I hope the weather improves soon because it really affects my other joints. My husband has arthritis in his fingers after over FIFTY YEARS of playing bass and guitar. He is hurting these days, too.

Arthritis is BAD. NASTY, nasty disease!!!

Your homemade soup sounds good. I expect to be having soup, pudding, yogurt, and other soft things for several days after my tooth is removed. My other three came out easily, but they had already errupted, and the roots had fused into just one single point. One pull, and they came out. Had them done at three different occasions over the years. With my last one about 15 years ago I did four hours of conferences an hour after extraction with no problems. Somehow I think THIS one is going to be a BUGGER! I am planning on being a couch potato for the rest of today!

Take care! The snow HAS to leave soon!🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆🔆

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.