Left side of leg NUMB following TKR

Posted , 12 users are following.

It has been nearly ten months now since my first TKR, and the left side of my calf remains NUMB. I am not experiencing this on my right leg on which I had my TKR about five months ago.

Will the numbness always be there?

Why such a difference between legs/numbness?

I have no difficulty MOVING either leg/knee, but the NUMB feeling just feels so weird!

Thanks!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Cheryl, hope your tooth extraction went okay and you're not left with too much pain. I've got a wisdom tooth thats been erupting for about 10 years, I'm hoping that it doesn't cause me any trouble. Take care, Deb
    • Posted

Hi Deb! Just got back from my wisdom tooth extraction. Went very well, and I am thoroughly enjoying the homemade pudding I made yesterday in preparation for my after surgery food fest!

I usually have big breakfasts, so eating nothing and drinking nothing is really hard for me.

Enjoying my hot tea and may read then curl up for a nice nap! Ahhhh!

Thank you for thinking of me!😊

• Posted

Glad tooth extraction went well!! 

I guess I'm not yet in enough pain w/right knee to consider surgery yet. I'm just more apprehensive knowing what to expect post surgery. 

Oh well, today is a great day w/ my knee. I too Aleve 2x on Sunday and it seems to have calmed down.

back to my strength therapy classes tomorrow. I'm not looking forward , but know I must push myself to keep mo I got.

enjoy ur rest.

xxdamy 

• Posted

I REALLY know how important being READY READY can be when you are deciding to do #2 knee!

I put off even doing #1 for AGES! Had I not awakened Memorial Day Weekend to EXCRUTIATING PAIN in my left knee and spent a day and a half on crutches, I probably would have continued to drag my feet on any surgery.

As it was, I took that awful pain as God finally screaming at me that IT WAS TIME! I made my appointment Tuesday following Memorial Day to bite the bullet and JUST DO IT.

Yes, my wisdom tooth surgery went very well. I had no pain with it prior, but it was causing issues with the molars next to it. To get repeat periodontal laser surgery on those remaining molars, Big Guy Impacted Wisdom Tooth just had to GO! (My periodontist loves to be able to save teeth, and he's really good at it. The laser procedure actually promotes bone growth which secures problem teeth so they are nice and secure in new bone that you make yourself. Awesome new procedure!) That will take place in about six weeks, and theny 64-year-old mouth will be good to go maybe for another twenty years!

I remember reading an interview with Dolly Parton years ago. She said that as we age we require CONSIDERABLE MORE upkeep.

TRUE THAT!!!

Take care! Great talking with you!😊

• Posted

Ha ha, I joke that it takes me twice as long to get ready to go out and face the world!

i was never in excruciating pain w/ operated knee. It was just that it was really cramping my life style. Had trouble walking distances and the mall lol!

yes, I would have pain if I over did it. In any case, I am hoping against hope that the other knee holds ou for awhile. 

Ill tell you, if I stayed on anti inflammatories all the time, I would be fine. BUT, I am too afraid of the consequences of long term use.

interesting what ur periodontist is doing w/ ur teeth. I never heard of that.

BTW,  THE SOUP WAS CHICKEN MEATBALL W/ greens: Swiss chard and kale. Very good and healthy. I try! Taught healthy cooking a few years back.

takecare , and good to talk to u too.

xxDamy

• Posted

Mmmmm! Your soup sounds wonderful! I hope you made plenty because on TV the scroll just said your area is headed below zero! We are supposed to get six inches of snow (AKA: "Light dusting" here!) It is sunny and quite beautiful UNTIL you open the DOOR!

Prior to my knee surgeries I pretty much stopped my beloved shopping mall adventures. It was so sad! I would do grocery shopping at our small independent grocery store, also, because the larger super stores required just too much walking and standing.

Since my two surgeries I never think about finding a chair to sit down, and we shop for many hours. We met up with friends at Best Buy the other day and were STANDING for at least an hour talking. I NEVER could have endured that before.

I'm really looking forward to actually enjoying working in my garden and my flower beds this year. I endured pain and just kept going in past years, but the joy just wasn't there. Happy to look forward to the JOY being back again!

Yes, the laser procedure is very effective! I was one of my doctor's first patients in 2014. Back in 1992 he did the regular procedure of cut and peel which worked but had a MUCH LONGER recovery and required bone GRAFTS. This new procedure is faster, MUCH LESS invasive and has a fast recovery time, too.

I find that I actually FORGET to take my Ibuprofen on many days because the PAIN just isn't there. Recently it has been my SHOULDER JOINTS that are the real BUGGERS, but my knees are GOOD. Maybe your need for painkillers will lessen once the cold/ snow goes away!

Enjoy that yummy SOUP!😊

• Posted

I always make a double batch, while I'm at it. Had it again tonite.

happy for u that u enjoy ur garden so much. 

I want our landscaping redone this year. We'll see how the $ goes!?

i like putting I. Annuals in pots. But that's about as far as I go. May do some veggies in pots on the deck this year, we'll see. At this point it's hard to imagine that kind of weather?

but we can hope.

sorry about ur shoulder pain. Certainly hope u don't need more surgeries.

take care and stay warm. Off to my 50+ exercise facility tomorrow. It's the same place that I've had my pt.

I'm a little nervous about starting the classes again after all this time, but I'll just do what I can.

take are, xxdamy

• Posted

Have fun at exercise class tomorrow! Always good to do something fun while waiting for decent weather to arrive!

Yes, I am an outside girl and love digging in dirt and growing things. We had a new driveway put in last October and a new sidewalk with a big new area for plantings. I've been enjoying feeding all the birds this winter and planning out what to put in around the bird feeders out front in our new large area.

Yesterday when we went to visit my husband's mom at the nursing home we discovered that Mrs. Goose FINALLY chose her nesting place...The gardening table for the residents in the courtyard! Mrs. Mallard Duck chose the corner on the opposite side of the courtyard and got a two-week head start on HER nest. It is going to be GREAT FUN watching to see if the baby Mallards play with the baby Canadian geese AND if the two sets of babies play nice together in the two baby pools the nursing home puts out for them...complete with ramps to get into the pools!

Such fun!

Have a fun time tomorrow!

• Posted

Love ur story about the ducks and the goose!

well, I went to my first class this morning and I did fairly well. I was able to get up and down off of the mats for the floor exercises! Yay! Also, I was able to do a plank for the the full 1 minute. Side planks were another story. I just didn't have the strength I used to. but, I'm glad I went and will work up to doing all the exercises that I used to do.

my schedule is 3x /week. Gets me up and out and is certainly good both physically and MENTALLY!

hope ur having a good day😍

• Posted

Glad to hear that you did so well at exercise class! You have a positive "I'm going to DO THIS!" attitude, so you definitely are on the right track toward success!

I made more chocolate pudding today. I like the Cook and Serve Jello because it tastes best to me. Scrambled eggs and hot tea rounded out my Wisdom Tooth Menu. Was a bit more sore than yesterday, so I iced my left jaw which helped.

Did some reading all bundled up in my polar fleece throw. That ice made me quite chilly!

The best thing I have learned from my knee surgeries is to listen to what my BODY needs. This is helping me as I recover from my jaw surgery, too!

Hope you feel good after your workout today!

• Posted

Thanks, I've been told the same about my attitude from other friends. I don't give myself enough credit.

ur menu sounds comforting. I used to like royal dark chocolate pudding. I'm not sure they still make it.

you do an awful lot for someone who just had a tooth extraction. 

Visiting ur MIL and all. You obviously have a very strong , disciplined attitude yourself. 

Had my soup for dinner agai. Tonight, made the hubby salmon.

i feel fine, I didn't o Ed do it. Xx

• Posted

I don't know if the Dark Chocolate pudding is still made. I love the regular milk chocolate one so much that I never check about any other flavor! I got started on the chocolate pudding YEARS AGO when I was teaching. This one year the school hired people to do lunch and recess and we had a whole 45 minutes for lunch! Our school was on the campus of a college, so we high-tailed it over to the college cafeteria. FABULOUS FOOD, and ALWAYS homemade hot chocolate pudding! Oh MY! Just sitting there for a whole half hour (walk time back and forth was 10 minutes) and talking and eating and that HOT CHOCOLATE PUDDING!!!! 😊

Yes, I keep pretty busy. I enjoy doing a lot of things, and I'm not much for sleeping MUCH or just laying around UNLESS I feel yucky. Then I relax, bundle up with my polar fleece throw and take it easy until I feel better. This is a very new concept for me, though. I used to JUST KEEP GOING! That, I have discovered, was downright STUPID on my part. Well, I guess being RETIRED with an EMPTY NEST does have its privileges!!!🙌🙌

Yes, I think we ALL need to give ourselves more credit! We need to acknowledge all we do for everyone else. We need to really understand how hard it is coming back from surgeries and cut ourselves some slack when we are having a particular achy day.

I am back on Ibuprofen, thank goodness. Had to take the Tylenol until all bleeding from my jaw area stopped. I ALREADY feel better a half hour after taking the Ibuprofen! Tylenol hardly does a thing for me.

How's the weather there? We have had RAIN with thunder and lightning, and more SNOW is to come later in the week. This weather sure does bring out all my arthritis aches!

Take care!

Keep smilin'! 😁

• Posted

Ur a riot about the chocolate pudding!!my mom used to pick us up from elementary school and take us to a luncheonette for lunch. They served chocolate pudding which had plastic wrap,on the top so that it didn't form a skin. Yum!! 

Gla ur back on  ibuprofen, and that it helps. Just be careful long term, it can have some adverse side effects.

the weather is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! Pouring rain today, more col to come and maybe more snow!!

im Charlie horse from the exercise , but off to another class tomorrow.

glad ur taking good care of URSELF. That's never been a problem for me,though I like to. E active as well. 

I was educated as an elementary schoolteacher but only taught a short while, as I became pregnant 2w/first son u expectably. It reall was t my first love and I then stayed home w/ the kids.i am much more of a creative person and like to cook, paint, decorate, etc. 

only wished I had worked more from the $ aspect.

ive dabbled in many things.infact , I started a food blog, and if I get back to it I will send u the link , if ur interested.

take good care.xx Damy( Donna)

n

• Posted

Hi Donna! 😁

My Grandma's name was Donna, and I have a cousin Donna, and my husband has a cousin Donna! 😁😁😁

That was a fun lunchtime for you in elementary school! Mom stayed at school, and I walked home for lunch. My Grandma made me my lunch at our house. Grandma loved to cook. Mom...not so much. She probably ate cookies and had coffee while she prepared for her afternoon classes! Mom taught first grade in the room SHE went to first grade in herself many years before.

Yeah, rain here all day, too. I like walking in the rain but only when it's warmer. There WAS A BREAK for awhile when I got the mail and cut daffodils to decorate the living room. LOVE daffodils!

That's good you had enough success that you are headed to exercise class again tomorrow! Have fun!

I enjoy cooking, decorating and all kinds of projects, too. I just finished redecorating our second bedroom by turning it into a scrapbooking/ guest room/ craft room. We are waiting delivery of the last piece--a sleeper sofa. I decorated with my pretty shells I've collected as well as my Beach glass and sea glass. Turquoise is a favorite color of mine, so my accent color for the room is all different shades of turquoise.

I'd enjoy seeing your food blog! I enjoy cooking, eating, and trying new recipes. Our daughter-in-law has Celiac Disease, so I have learned all about Gluten-free cooking. She's also Vegan and prefers all organic ingredients, so I had a steep learning curve about eight years ago when she finally was diagnosed!

Nice getting to know you!😊

• Posted

Funny, I hardly knew any donnas growing up.

we like to eat organic , as well. We also eat a fair amount of gluten free products, just because we bleed in not overdoing eating wheat. 

Vegan, that's another story!! We tried that for a few years, long story, but went back to fish, chicken, turkey , etc. and eggs.

that certainly is a big learning curve; not easy. But can be very healthy.

i worked about 2 hours trying to post a new blog entry tonite, and was unsuccessful. Again, a long story. Haven't done it in awhile and ran into various problems. Think I'll have to go to the Apple Store for some help.

nice getting to know you too. We should probably private message or email, since I don't these folks on this forum are much interested in our babbling!

have a good nite.xxdonna

• Posted

forgot to add, I'm hurting all over. Charlie horse from the exercise yesterday , but need to push myself to go. So go I will!!
    • Posted

Dehydration........get busy with plain old.....straight old water. Watch the levels of caffine. Get a big bottle of ice water to carry around with you. Start off the morning as soon as your feet it the floor with a 24 to 32 oz glass of water. Same quantity at breakfast. Cut back on coffee, tea and soft drinks as well as chocolate and other vaccine related foods. With warm weather and more sweating ( sorry, my apologies, women don't sweat they perspire). The proper action of the kidneys, sweat glands will stop the charlie horse and leg cramp business. I would start adding some addition salt/salt tablets as soon as warmer weather sets in.

Make sure calcium level and vitamin D as well as magnesium are all adequate. Without Vit D and magnesium the body won't absorb calcium. Changing seasons, big barometer changes yiubhave to becaggresvevin keeping up with various nutrional intakes. Go heavy on water the next 48nhours and see if you noticrle changes.

• Posted

It's not babbling......its much needed therapy. Nothing that makes you feel any better than a healthy pee....as in thera ...py.

Besides that, you never know when someone that's scanning the scroll is finding a much needed message

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.