Left side problems

Posted , 8 users are following.

Okay, so about a week and a half ago I started getting a type of confused feeling. I could still function and it was just a strange sensation in my head. Later on this has progressed to the point to where the left side of my body has become different. My head is kind of numb type feeling on the left side, my arm feels heavier than my right, and my left leg feels like it is also heavier. There isn't really any pain and it all seems to be in my head. If I want to get up and walk around I have to think about the left side more than I do the right side, but overall I can walk just fine, lift things just fine, and if I push my arms away from me they both go out at the same time.

I am a 27 year old male and I do suffer from anxiety but this is not anxiety. I can't figure this one out. When I wake up sometimes it will be better, and other days I wake up with it. The back part of my neck does hurt, and there is kind of a pulling type pressure in the back left part of my head about 2 inches or so behind my ear. 

I am right handed and even my vision is better on my right. I have glasses and have astigmatism in both eyes but the left is definitely worse. When I am up it feels like I am off balance but the reality is that if I lean over on either leg I can balance probably better than anyone else.

PS: I also find that if I shrug my shoulders hard (lift them up and let them fall down hard) pins and needles very briefly shoot down both arms. 

I am very confused by all this, nothing makes sense. I am a very healthy person for the most part.

5'10" and weight 166lbs

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had an avm (arterior venous malformation) on my right frontal lobe of  my brain over 20 years ago.  The only symptom I had was pins & needles off & on in my arms and trunk.  I finally convinced a dr to give me an MRI.  I had a crainiotomy and all has been well.  If these symptoms continue, I would suggest you get an MRI.  It it the definitive test for anything neurological.  Good luck. Zap

• Posted

I am 63 years old and began experiencing neurological problems 12 years ago. I passed it off as me getting older. Finally a little over a year and a half ago I finally shared with my doctor all my symptoms, that had gotten worse. They did a MRI Brain Scan and found I had multiple Lacunar strokes. Since then the list of my neurological symptoms and problems have gotten a lot worse, which I won't bore you with. If there is one thing I could suggest, see and tell your doctor before things get worse. I am now 95% disabled and my wife can't work because she is my caregiver 100% of the time. The thought of if I'd only done this and not put it off. Don't do what I did please!!!

• Posted

In the last year I've seen give (5) different Neurologists and each one had a different diagnosis after looking at the same MRI, CT Scans. I've had every type of neurological brain scan there is. And there is. I would strongly suggest having an MRI brain scan. The brain scans were able to tell the Neurologist that I had multiple Lacunar strokes on the right side of my brain, I've also had two (2) Ischemic Thrombosis Strokes but what the scans are not able to tell the Neurologist is when I had these strokes. Thank God I don't have any major problems resulting from these strokes. But twelve (12) years ago is when I began experiencing neurological symptoms. I began falling down for not apparent reason, I would drop items. Now I did have type 2 diabetes and I was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy in both feet. But these symptoms were completely different. I've also been diagnosed with Complex Partial Seizure Disorder and White Brain Matter Disease, I have short term memory loss, there are days that I don't remember a thing. These different Neurologists had me on so many different medications and my symptoms got worse. At the time none of these Neurologists were able to diagnose what I had, one said it was headaches, another said it was high blood pressure. It wasn't until I saw my cardiologist during a routine visit and my wife happened to take a video of one of my episodes. She showed it to my cardiologist, who I extremely trust. He said I want you to take him over to this particular hospital and he was going to call ahead and have the Neurologist there briefed and ready to see me when I arrived. When my wife got me there this Neurologist was waiting for me, he asked me some questions and said he wanted to see the video my wife had. He looked at it and said your having a seizure. He admitted me, did MRI and CT Scans, shaved my head and hooked me up to some electronic device and the next morning he is when he diagnosed me having Complex Partial Seizure Disorder. He didn't think my seizures and strokes were related, he placed me on some medication for 30-days, my seizures subsided but I still had a few so he changed my medication and I haven't had a single seizure since then. I know my story is long but you have to trust your gut instincts. If there's a doctor you trust then ask him or her to direct you to a Neurologist better yet, speak to the nurses at the hospitals, they know who's the best and who isn't. It took a long time and five (5) different Neurologists to find the one I have now and trust. It's your body and your life and there is no doubt in my mind if I would have listened to my wife over ten (10) years ago I wouldn't be in the condition I'm in now. She kept on bugging me, let me take you to the hospital for years and I kept on saying no I'm fine, guess what, I wasn't fine. You may be okay but on the other hand your body might be telling you something, please don't be like me, don't put it off.

• Posted

Hi Austin. Jon is right don't put it off.  My Drs told me there was nothing wrong with me, just anxious.  They gave me anti-anxiety drugs.  I saw 6 different Drs until one finally agreed to order an MRI.  Listen to your body.  It's telling you something is not right.  Zap

• Posted

hi. austinkwebb.  i agree with some statments made already but also ask which scan is best it mite be a cat scan more than mri  but tell your gp the symtoms you are experiencing could be neuromusclar  but you make sure you get it checked out. and wish you well soon.
  • Posted

Hello everyone. Yes, I realize this is very serious and I have an appointment on 6/13/17 (Tuesday) at 8am for a Cat Scan and a Neck X-Ray. I am wishing for the best but my body is telling me there is something really wrong with me. I appreciate the words and stories, and I hope that I catch whatever is going on in time. It seems to progressively be getting better even though my left side is still kind of off somehow, like my leg just doesn't work quite right. I will update this when I find out more as well, and any more stuff that happens. Thanks again everyone.

• Posted

Hi Austin wishing you the best!  Please let us know what the outcome is.  Zap
    • Posted

Austin, I wish you the best of luck and please know beyond any shadow of doubt you will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are still very young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Now matter what your spiritual beliefs are, I'm a Christian and believe Jesus still heals. So in the name of Jesus I speak complete and total over your entire physical body, in Jesus name.

• Posted

So I went and got a Cat Scan and the doctor looked over everything and said that everything with my brain looked good! That's good news as of course I don't want there to be anything wrong. I have another appointment on Monday to cover more things but so far I have been doing pretty good but with some other odd things. My left hand side still doesn't feel quite right but I WAS diagnosed with a pretty good ear infection. I also am having some tension and not quite vertigo type feelings from the back of my head. I think it has something to do with my ear infection but not sure. Definitely have bad anxiety. Overall though, good news about my brain (no MS or stroke).

• Posted

Hi Austin,

How are you feeling now?

Are you feeling fully cured?

I am feeling similar kind of problem, not exactly but in very mild.

Initially it was tough and feeling was more worse but when i visited doctor i found nothing but high blood sugar. They were also surprised how left part is behaving differently. But they said sugar might cause this. After i reduced the carbohydrate intake i felt very good. But still i feel there is a difference, very minute.

They did CT scan but there was nothing. They told if issue worsen , visit neurosurgeon and have MRI. So far i am managing my food to balance carbs but sometime i feel a slight disconnect in left brain in the morning , that might be sugar low around the time due to my carbs control.

I also have white flakes kind of infection more apparent on left head and left ears.

I do nt know what is causing this wierd things.

• Posted

Hi Austin..I am feeling same type of symptoms for left part..I have done MRI and all but nothing found in reports..I have some annexity problems..can you please tell me what you do to cure these left part problem.or what identified as I have checked and nothing found in my reports.
    • Posted

Hi Amit,

How are you feeling now?

Are you feeling fully cured?

I am feeling similar kind of problem, not exactly but in very mild.

Initially it was tough and feeling was more worse but when i visited doctor i found nothing but high blood sugar. They were also surprised how left part is behaving differently. But they said sugar might cause this. After i reduced the carbohydrate intake i felt very good. But still i feel there is a difference, very minute.

They did CT scan but there was nothing. They told if issue worsen , visit neurosurgeon and have MRI. So far i am managing my food to balance carbs but sometime i feel a slight disconnect in left brain in the morning , that might be sugar low around the time due to my carbs control.

I also have white flakes kind of infection more apparent on left head and left ears.

I do nt know what is causing this wierd things.

• Posted

Hi Rajeev,

If you done CT scan and MRI..100% it's anxiety..but check your ear infection problem as well..

Austin: have you got any solution to anxiety problem..some times it's gone..some times it's come

• Posted

Thanks Austin!

You mentioned you had ear infection, was that cure helped you along with anaxity medicine?

Did your doctor prescribed medicine for anaxity ?

• Posted

Thanks Amit!

I have not done any MRI yet, neither visited any neuro surgeon.

I have already an appointment this friday for my ear and scalp infection and itching.

Hope things goes good soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.