Left side Sharp pain - Need your input/suggestion to narrow down an cause

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am having Sharp Pain in Left Upper Abdomen (towards the side of the body), the Pain occurs almost same location as side stitch , Pain occurs almost 5-6 times a day and pain stays for 1-2 minutes and for few days, pain doesn't appear.

In past 6 month back, I was treated for Antral Gastritis for H.Pyroli and I did take recent test for same , which came Negative.

My stool is normal but at times it smells.

I went to GI recently, where he thinks it is related to Stomach muscle, even though I have stopped my excercise routine for almost 5 weeks, still I have pain and I am disagreeing to GI opinion.

Pain Location looks like Splenic Flexure location, but I am not sure whether symptoms of mine is related to Splenic Flexure/IBS or something else...I am lost trying to find answer in google search.

Another thing, whenever I have these Sharp shooting pain, I do have Yogurt for next 2 days for all 3 times of food and pain subdues (not sure what is the connection which is helping me).

Anybody experienced this kind of symptoms.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get the same pain in the same place as you're describing when I'm having an IBS flare up. I've been told by my doctor that it's a common place to get IBS pain.

• Posted

Thanks for your message, Does IBS flare have bowel movements since I have normal bowel movement .

How are you managing your symptoms for IBS flare.

• Posted

mine does seem random at times cos sometimes it will be completely normal then other times it will change and the bowel movement will be not normal.

I manage mine with a mixture of healthy eating during painful times(and by healthy I mean any decent food that doesn't trigger the ibs)

, buscopan and intermittent fasting.

• Posted

Thanks Red1989 for sharing your symptoms, I am not sure I am candidate to IBS but for sure will maintain Food dairy as suggested by Connie to keep track as such I am completely new to this symptoms.

When you say Bowel movement, Please explain as such my understanding of Bowel movement is Diarrhea/Constipation and urge to release on frequent basis, since everybody talks about of bowel movement in this forum.

• Posted

i wonder if this us reflux that can occur anywhere across the abdominal area? it seems strange that it disappears with yogurt. ask to see a dietitian.

• Posted

Thanks Sam, I did check with my GI but he said that it doesn't have any co-relation with the Yogurt & the pain location .

Not sure, if this is just co-incident that Yogurt and pain.

• Posted

It could be any number of.things. I am not sure if it is IBS because you would normally get change of bowel habit such as constipation or diarrhoea/loose Stools. Do not google your symptoms because it will cause anxiety. See your doctor instead. The fact that yoghurt helps may be something to do with having taken antibiotics for h pylori. Both can ravage your gut, especially the antibiotics which can strip away good gut bacteria. Yoghurt can help to restore it because if its probiotic qualities. See your doctor again and ask about these possibilities.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa, my understanding of IBS is same as yours where If I have IBS symptoms such us constipation or diarrhoea/loose Stools. Not sure, IBS is still cause in my case.

• Posted

I THINK YOU SHOULD KEEP A FOOD DIARY. BUT Carry on with yoghurt and try taking a probiotic capsule. they are good if you have been taking anti biotics ive also been free of colds since taking them for over two years. good luck

• Posted

Connie, Thanks for your suggestion to have food diary, when I checked with my GI on probiotic, he suggested that it will not help much in my case.

In fact, I was taking probiotic earlier, even before this issue, after speaking to GI recently, just stopped probiotic. However I will check again with my Doc.

• Posted

Doctors often try to put you off taking probiotics because they want to prescribe prescription drugs instead because this is what pleases the drug companies. My doctor was against me trying probiotic supplements and felt that probiotic yoghurts were safer. However, yoghurts often don't have the same strength of probiotic in them as a probiotic supplement.

• Posted

pharmaseutical companies drive me mad, i refuse to put excess drugs in my body and tablets.

• Posted

I am always on same though process as yours......medication when really needed..... underestimating ADR (Adverse Drug Reaction)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.